User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default who to pick ?

I recently got my CDL and started working for USA truck, but due to a death in the family I had to quit and go back to Germany (wife is German). Now that all has been setteled I am ready to move back to the U.S and start driving again. I am bassicly a newbe and only have approx. 2 months OTR experience. Seems that I have a choice between Swift, CRST, P.A.M, US Express, or going back to USA Truck.
What is recomended ? Although I had no big problems with USA.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Who To Pick?

It may be a question of the entry level company that picks you. You don't state how long you've been out of the game, you may have to do a refresher before a company will look at you.
OTW, pick the company best meeting your requirements. BOL
Old 10-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Rookie

Yep I will need a refesher Last I drove was back in January. Called USA (pretty expensive from Germany) They said I would need a refresher and back on the road for 2 or three weeks with a trainer. That will more than likely be the norm for most compines. just dont know if I want to go back to usa or not, although I cant complain about them. after the horror stories I red about swift...I think they are pretty much out.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski1958
Yep I will need a refesher Last I drove was back in January. Called USA (pretty expensive from Germany) They said I would need a refresher and back on the road for 2 or three weeks with a trainer. That will more than likely be the norm for most compines. just dont know if I want to go back to usa or not, although I cant complain about them. after the horror stories I red about swift...I think they are pretty much out.
If you dig deep enough you will a horror story about every trucking company out there. If I were picking from that list, I would probably go with USX, just based upon the research I did on all of them. Although this is just my opinion.

If you were happy with USA before, why not go back there? If they were going to completely screw you over they probably would've done it in the first couple of months... Also, there are many other companies that would take you, even with only a couple of months experience. Any of them probably should put you through a short refresher, but no reason to go with such a short list. Unlessof course, you have already narrowed it down to this...
Old 10-09-2006, 04:14 AM

You may want to have some conversations with the other companies you mentioned. You drove for USA, so you have a record with them, presumably a good one. As you said, they will let you back in with a refresher and a few weeks of driving with a trainer. Other companies may well require you to go through a full training program again.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Senior Board Member

The only reason I won't suggest USX to a newbie is because of the automatic trans. You don't want to limit yourself to them. Now, if you've drove truck before, be it local or OTR, then, yes, I'll give USX a thumbs up.