User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 03:25 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

can't believe you're there with that bad of a back problem.
but anyway I hope you've been going to a medic about it where it's documented and when you get out go to your nearest VA-Register and get your Card and then RUN to the Service Officers and File a Claim.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:08 AM
Board Regular
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The only reason I'm here is because I'm with a unit that doesn't require me to do much lifting and stuff like that. When I was at Orthopaedics before I came over, they asked me how comfortable I was with the unit I was going with, and if I felt that they wouldn't ask me to do something I couldn't do. I said I was comfortable with it, and they don't ask me to do stuff they know I can't.

I'm already registered with the VA, as I went down to the VA hospital in Syracuse to consult with Neurosurgery, and they had me register there. Since the VA should handle all costs related to my back, would employers still see this as a problem?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985
I want to drive a truck because there isn't much that I figure that would be easier on my back than sitting in a comfy chair and driving most of the day.
Don't you believe it. Sitting for long stretches and being bounced around a truck cab are NOT exactly the best things for one with a bad back. Many people who don't have bed backs develop them after a few years of trucking ( I am one of those). If you already have a bad back, trucking will likely make it worse, not better.

The long periods of sitting actually weaken already weak back muscles, and the constant bouncing motion tends to compress disks after many years of that. That combination is almost a guarantee that you will be giving the majority of your retirement savings to doctors, chiropractors, and massage therapists.

Quote:
On top of that, I love to drive,
Heh heh, remember that when you are sitting in gridlock on the Dan Ryan in Chicago at 4 in the afternoon, knowing that you are not being paid to sit in traffic.

Quote:
I emailed the Roehl recruiter about my back problems, more specifically I asked if the seat had adjustable lumbar support. He told me that it wouldn't be a problem, and that the seats are adjustable.
You'd better go and actually try out those seats in person - recruiters are notorious for not knowing what in the hell they are talking about, since most of them have never actually been inside a truck.

Quote:
By the way, if I get one of those loads that isn't no-touch, will most companies pay for a lumper?
most will. Some won't.

Quote:
If not, and if it weren't common, I'd be willing to pay for one out of my own pocket, if necessary.
Really? You'd be willing to blow upwards of $250 of your own money just to have your trailer unloaded? I have seen lumper costs of as high as $400 for an entire trailer.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Back

"would employers still see this as a problem?" Yes.
"companies pay for a lumper?" If the receiver has lumpers on site, probably. And what of the load delivered to a receiver in East Cornfield, Iowa where there are no lumper services?
Why can't you get your back fixed before you get out, even if it means a medical hold? BOL
Old 09-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Senior Board Member

want excitement, urban problems, folks out to rip you off, lots of defensive driving, home every day, good money? drive a taxi in any major city.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
Why can't you get your back fixed before you get out, even if it means a medical hold? BOL
Unfortunately, my condition is considered permanent. The only way to "fix" it would be spinal fusion, and that isn't a good option. At my age (I'm only 21!), there is more of a potential to make it worse than there is to make it better. There's one option, but it's a new procedure and it would take the better part of a year to work that through the system, and my doctor recommended I persue it through the VA when I get out.

I don't think driving a truck would be so much of a problem because I already have to do exercizes to keep my back strong, and I'll have to keep doing them probably for the rest of my life. As long as I keep up with that, sitting down doesn't bother me much, as long as I have an actual seat to sit in; can't use benches at all.

At this point, I figure it's worth a shot, and if it doesn't work, I'll either find a local driving job, where I wouldn't spend so much time on the road, or I'll find something else to do.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Back

Comprendo, got your PM and roger unit integrity and complete the mission. Just stand up for what you're due. BOL
Old 05-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Default bad back and trucks go together

When you have a bad back it is a toss up as what to do you have pain and it will occur at rest or activity. Too much rest hurts and too much rest hurts I have had the fusion titanium rods bolts screws I have recycling value and I find that driving helps my back the seats in a truck are so ergonomically advanced that the only thing they require is a tee shirt on them to keep germs off of me. Change the tee shirt weekly. When I have to drive a marathon I have started to have pain in my joints so to remedy this I wear knee pads these trap the heat and it helps I have less pain.
Besides you are supposed to stop and clean the window every now and then check tires we get to drive trucks because of the freedom right so stop “what’s the hurry they will still need the product when you get there”.
There is a new dimension to my world of transportation I have a folding bicycle it affords me the opportunity to get fun exercise. The bike is rated at 200 lbs capacity but my weight of 320lbs has made it to where I need to get stronger tires I will put them on when I’m on my next trip will let y’all know what the outcome is. Now there is more of a choice when it comes to eating for instance. My goal is to reduce my weight to 250 lbs I have found that I can loose weight fast as long as I make sense ie eat right and exercize.
When in Biloxi x44 pilot I-10 I assembled the bike got out my head lamp and red blinking light “it was dark” then rode my bike to the long john silvers yum fish mac and cheese.
I want to help by sharing what I have learned so you might journey in comfort and security safely. I need help with taxes What can you deduct? All help will greatly appreciated I don't give smart ass replies to those that are acting kindly as so many do. Taxes is an incredible wealth wound learn how to get all that is yours.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Senior Board Member

A couple of suggestions:

1) Try to drive a smoother truck, such as a volvo. There's a huge difference in ride quality, you wouldn't want a rough truck!

2) Some new trailers now have a valve system for the bogeys, all you do is pop out this little button. "manual" bogeys could be very taxing for you if they were rusty.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Board Regular

I have had back problems for years (too many years of hard manual labour) some days sitting in the seat for hours really bothers my back, some days I can hardly get out of bed in the morning, and I'm only 29 years old.

My doctor gave me some back exercises to do, they are suposed to help strengthen the lower back muscles. I also got myself a better mattress for the truck, seems to help a bit