User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 02:18 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Swift

Well, I went up to Sacramento and checked out the Truck Driving Academy. They have an office and some people, with a picture of the lot they use and the trucks they train with. What else would I expect? Marble floors and chandeliers? It will do the job and I'll get my CDL. They aren't fancy, but I don't think fancy makes a whole lot of sense in that kind of setting. Functional and able to get the job done will suffice. I'm not a prima dona and don't need frills. They are neat and professional - very utilitarian. If I need comfort, I could stay home.

Also, today I gave my 2 week notice at my current job and have 2 more weeks of work before I quit and go to school. It's a very sobering yet exciting thought to know that I'll be out there with ya'll very shortly.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Board Regular

Best of luck to ya T Storm. I hope Swift offers you everything your looking for.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:52 PM

Good luck and remember they don't pay you for how fast you back into the dock, they pay you for getting to the dock.

Backing seems to be the biggest fear of driving. Take your time and if need be get out of the cab and check!!! If others laugh - screw them its your load and you are responsible. Don't let hubris get you in trouble.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
Good luck and remember they don't pay you for how fast you back into the dock, they pay you for getting to the dock.

Backing seems to be the biggest fear of driving. Take your time and if need be get out of the cab and check!!! If others laugh - screw them its your load and you are responsible. Don't let hubris get you in trouble.
I haven't even gone to school yet, but I've already memorized G.O.A.L.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:38 PM

Yea, amazed how quick people forget tho once they back in a place a few times.

I used to pull container boxes, short little buggers, they sucked because you had to be that much more accurate with your adjustments.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:40 PM

TStorm... whatever you do, don't let them talk you into leasing a truck from them. They are FAMOUS for taking a guy who's new to the industry and talking him into DESTROYING his life and finances on a used truck. Do some research on this (just use the search link at the top of the page and type in lease purchase) and you'll see why.

Also- Swift's training program (I mean the behind the wheel/on the road training with at trainer program) is substandard. It's up to YOU to become a competent driver. You might luck out and get a good trainer. Mostly, I think, you'll end up with a guy who has just slightly more experience than YOU do (but KNOWS EVERYTHING). Just be aware of this.

Check it out: REAL INFO ABOUT WEIGH STATIONS
Old 09-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Jug Joe
TStorm... whatever you do, don't let them talk you into leasing a truck from them. They are FAMOUS for taking a guy who's new to the industry and talking him into DESTROYING his life and finances on a used truck. Do some research on this (just use the search link at the top of the page and type in lease purchase) and you'll see why.

Also- Swift's training program (I mean the behind the wheel/on the road training with at trainer program) is substandard. It's up to YOU to become a competent driver. You might luck out and get a good trainer. Mostly, I think, you'll end up with a guy who has just slightly more experience than YOU do (but KNOWS EVERYTHING). Just be aware of this.
I appreciate the heads up. Not planning on putting money in THEIR pocket, I'm planning on putting money in MINE. I know - with the right outfit, you can make good money being an O/O, but I need to be in the industry a while (well over a few years) before I contemplate an obligation of that magnitude.

If I get a sophomoric trainer, I'll ask for a new one.

As far as the all the bad mouthing of Swift. I read some horror tales by Googleing "Swift Law suits". There were 2 class actions against them. 1) Was stock manipulation back in 2002 and the second were misleading driver contracts. Both were resolved and from all indications. Robert Cunningham is giving %200 to turn around the damage Jerry Moyes inadvertently (?) left behind.

In any case I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not a prima dona but neither am I a martyr. However, I see both good and bad posts on this forum concerning them and have to come to the conclusion that the reality is somewhere between the two extremes. TO quote another post, "There are no best trucking companies, only the one you're working for."
Old 09-19-2006, 02:14 AM

Friday, in NW Portland, I saw a SWIFT truck & trailer. It was a blue trailer, advertising for drivers...The signs were not in English :?:
Old 09-19-2006, 03:29 AM

I started school today and we're required to fill out an application for Swift. We were told that the recruiter is a 6'1" hot Amazon that wears jeans that you would have to peel off if given the chance. On the business side, we were also told that they have a safety lottery. You get a voucher for every week that you don't get any tickets or have any accidents, which gets thrown into a lottery for $1 million. They also hired 25,000 or so drivers this year and expect to hire about 27,000+ drivers for 2007. At least that's what we were told today.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:45 AM
Board Regular

Good luck T-Storm..........just remember, this isn't the end of your journey, it's the first step Hopefully, you'll get a trainer who is focused on training. I did, but then maybe I was just lucky. I don't recall how many times he texted his message back to the DM........this is a training operation, not a team....my student will drive his allotted hours under my observation and when his hours are up, or I feel he/she is getting fatigued, we'll shut down for the night, so if you've promised a delivery date that won't fit into the way I run my training, you can either call the customer and tell them when it will get there, or you can find another trainer.

It wasn't until the last week we actually started running a team operation and that was simply to get me ready for solo.........he plainly stated, I want you to get used to driving late at night and early in the morning, cause there will be times you'll need to. The last week, we literally drove rotating shifts of 10 on 10 off............I'll be honest with you I was more than ready to take a few days off at the end of the week......but, I had to thank him a few months later when our paths crossed down in Laredo.......I had a much better outlook when I took off by myself, than if he had not pushed me the last week.

If you get a trainer who is purely interested only in the fact that he's got another log book, call you coordinator and request another trainer. I would suggest that you push your paper work on you trainer........I'm talking about the weekly training items you're suppose to experience during the week and get his sign off on..........the first day in the truck, if he doesn't bring it up, then you need to........tell him you'll be keeping up with it on a daily basis and at the end of the week you'll expect to go over it with him and get his sign off if he judges that you have successfully completed each and every item.

Be proactive......it's your training period, not his. It's the foundation of your career, not his, get everything you're paying for.... because you are paying for it in the most basic definition..........you're getting a lousy weekly pay check based on whatever week you're in training. Get the most of it............you should be backing that rig up whenever it needs backing, I don't care if your trainer enters the yard, it should be you that bumps the dock. My trainer flat out told me, I'd be bumping each and every dock for the next 4 weeks, I'd be parking at every TS we stopped at............a couple of days when we had the time, he'd find some large parking lot and set up cones and have me practice different situations. Each time I successfully achieved whatever goal he set out there, he'd tighten it up a bit and we'd do it all over again.

You can be successful in this business if you're willing to put in the effort. Don't over look the little things........things like paper work.......you're shift isn't over until your log is up to date and the next day's log is started .....you should all ready know what time you're going to plan to get started, so you why wait ............the next morning, all you have to do is drop your line down to line 4 for your PT, then to line 3 and you're off. I never really consider this a big thing, until, the first morning I pulled on the road, and not 10 miles, we hit an open weight station that directed me around back and instructed me to bring my papers in............I grabbed my nice little aluminum clipboard box I used to use on construction sites, tossed in the BOL, grabbed my permit binder and walked right in.......pulled out my log and asked him for a second to bring it up to date showing my current situation being on line 4...........pulled out my straight edge, drew my line for 15 minutes on line 3 and dropped a line down to line 4..........slide it all over to him. He just looked at me, glanced at my log, flipped through the permit binder and said looks like you have it all in order..............have a safe day driver. Little did he know, my legs felt like rubber.............I don't care who you are, the first time you get called in, you're nervous. When I got back in the truck, my trainer just had this smirk on his face and said......see that's why I make you have your stuff together, you look professional, you act professional, you're prepared like a professional, you get treated like a professional 9 times out of 10...........remember that.

Anyway, best of luck to you T.........I wish you everything you're willing to earn........be safe.