User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 03:22 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Afraid I'd have to fight that one in court............many residential roads are actually part of the community and the ownership falls under the community board or the developer..........and legally, the jurisdiction for traffic enforcement is out of the hands of the local police departments.

For the municipalities to take ownership and maintenance responsibilities, they require the developer to put in a thicker base and thicker asphalt cover....... or in other words to meet the state DOT regs .........many developers will try to take the short cut, convey ownership to the community association and put in a crappy road that leaves the association dealing with pot holes and wash outs for years to come...............
Old 09-10-2006, 03:41 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

So, now I know a couple of places in the country that I WILL NOT GO TO... What we need now is for everyone else to refuse to go there. When businesses there start to die off, some body will see the light... Won't they?... Or will they???

Old 09-10-2006, 05:02 AM
Board Regular
Default I hate Vermont!

Speaking of stupid limits, lots of Vt is under 24000lbs, posted or not. One run we regularly do is deliver cans full of chinese cast iron (live unload floor loads 2-4 hours) to the Vermont Castings stove plant in Bethel just off I89. Their freakin' DRIVEWAY is posted 24000 - even registered as such with the state :shock: . So they tell us to ignore it like all the other trucks do - and the boss says he'll pay any fines. What B.S. - you bite Vt! And friday I take a 53' in behind our shortest tractor (to be under 68') to Manchester Center and follow directions given by the receiver to a huge fairly new plant that is obviously set up to take 53' trailers about a mile off Rt 7. As I was leaving the road out was posted 24000 - but no signs coming in! I looked it up on the state site and the town had three bridges on that road I went down registered as 25000 as well as the entire road connecting to Rt 7- and again the freakin" DRIVEWAY also registered as 25000. Well, I suppose it goes to show you what happens when you elect a bunch of inbred banjo pickers to government office cuz' thats all you have to choose from. Looks like they need 4 more loads delivered too - hope the bridges hold up :lol: . Fortunately we rarely go into pig squealin' land except for that monthly can load to Bethel and at least that's no problem length-wise.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Board Icon

Okay. From now on, if the load doesn't pay $18,000 to the truck... Plus FSC, I don't go there. There can be a number of reasons why you can miss a sign. In winter, covered with snow... At night, street light placed so that you can not read the sign. Or turned so that you can not read what it says. Maybe taken down by an accident and not put up yet.

$18,000 to the truck, plus FSC or I don't take the load.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't understand why these people would build a factory or warehouse where they know it will not legally be accessable to trucks. New England and the Northeast have some strange laws concerning big trucks. Some will not allow 53' trailers without permits past a certain point from interstate highways. If you cross one of those bridges that has a low weight limit, you could have some hefty fines and pay for repairs.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I don't understand why these people would build a factory or warehouse where they know it will not legally be accessable to trucks. New England and the Northeast have some strange laws concerning big trucks. Some will not allow 53' trailers without permits past a certain point from interstate highways. If you cross one of those bridges that has a low weight limit, you could have some hefty fines and pay for repairs.
I say COMPENSATE FOR IT. If that's what it will cost to make an honest mistake, the load must make enough to cover it. When businesses find out what laws like that do to freight rates, it will change, or they will change locations. WE have the ability to make the difference. All we have to do is, DO IT...

Old 09-12-2006, 04:09 AM

Another reason truckers should go on strike one day to wake up this country. Total BS, legal robbery, thats all it is. Imagine, if we went on strike, the whole country will be bowing to us, "oh, we are so sorry, I did not realize trucks were so important. We can't get food, clothing, electronics, paper, heck, we can't get anything. All the stores shelves are completely empty now. Please come back, we are sorry." :roll:
Old 09-12-2006, 04:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_ryder
Another reason truckers should go on strike one day to wake up this country. Total BS, legal robbery, thats all it is. Imagine, if we went on strike, the whole country will be bowing to us, "oh, we are so sorry, I did not realize trucks were so important. We can't get food, clothing, electronics, paper, heck, we can't get anything. All the stores shelves are completely empty now. Please come back, we are sorry." :roll:

Been there....done that. The last strike, I believe, was in the 1970's. or perhaps it was the 1980's. The country did shut down. The Feds will never allow it again. At that time a large percentage of drivers were Teamsters. After the strike, the Feds decided to weaken the union to the point were it was essentially impotent. There aren't that many Teamsters any more. There is a high percentage of owner operators. Most of them operate on such tight margins that they cannot afford to sit for a day. Drivers have been trying to get a strike together for many years. It isn't going to happen. If you are an owner operator you can make a difference by refusing to haul cheap freight and demand to be fairly compensated for sitting, unloading, and tarping, etc.,