User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hire an old fart! Please!

Ok all you truckers out there. Here is a chance for one of you to help out an old fart, and yourself at the same time. Here is what you need to know.
I am about to hit that big 6, 0. I started as a driver back before there was such a thing as a CDL to be had. Since that day, I have been involved in building materials sales mostly, but kept active in blue collar endeavors. My primary income source in building materials supply has dried up on me, and I am back to driving. I did a 10 month stretch with Werner, and had a great O/O trainer. I got my 6 month safe driving pin, and was approached to become a trainer myself. I was offered (and I took) a job offer for a local construction company that had me home daily. I soon found out why they were looking for a driver. They have all those clever safety posters and "lose your license, lose your job" posters like they actually meant it. Well, I am a plus 5 point driving record, and I do mean it. When it became clear that I was not about to risk my life or the lives of others, in order to get everything done F A S T, they canned me.
I now have 10 months OTR driving experience, and cannot get back to driving because I am not a new driving school graduate, or a 12 month experienced driver. I make no claims to be a cowboy style driver, but I am a good driver. I am one who gets rolling, and only stops for that rare pit stop to drain the snake. I am also one of those people that returns a borrowed tool (or equipment) in better shape than it was when I borrowed it.
If someone out here would like to help me gain that experience I need to get over this hurdle, I would be greatly appreciative. If you are a fair wage payer, I would also expect to stay with you if you would like me to. Just in case I may be leaving this impression, No, I do not expect to be working for free. I am just looking for an honest break.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Rookie

How long since you left Werner? I didn't see if you said, or if you said how long with the local outfit. If you think you'd like to try flatbed, give Maverick a call. They used to be pretty good about giving you credit for past experience.

Rockers Rule!!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Rookie
Default old fart's experience

I was at Werner 11/29/07 thru 8/28/08. The last couple months was running a dedicated route for VT industries out of Rome Georgia. They were using curtain side flats. I really wish that assignment wasn't a temporary assignment. We got along great there, and the pay was pretty good too. That local jackass job was 9/5/2008 thru 2/15/2009. I got some education with regards to flatbed and equipment hauling there. I also learned not to trust a company that employs illegal immigrants. That job was one of those that fall into the category of "it seemed like a good idea at the time". Live and learn.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Rookie

GS, what companies have you talked to? I know there are companies that will count any OTR time in the past 2 years. That would give you credit for your Werner time, at least through 08/10.

Worst case is that you'll have to go out with a trainer again. But if you want back out on the road, you'll do it. I have a local, non driving, job I'm going to try out. If I don't like it (it's 2nd shift, that's one strike against it already!), Swift will take me on. I'm more limited that you, as I want back to flatbed, and Swift was the only one.

Good luck.

Rockers Rule!!

Tags
employment