Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Food & Health (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/food-health-30/)
-   -   Crock pot French onion soup from scratch, easy to do!!! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/food-health/24899-crock-pot-french-onion-soup-scratch-easy-do.html)

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 02-17-2007 05:09 PM

Crock pot French onion soup from scratch, easy to do!!!

I love French onion soup and never realized how easy it is to make.

Into your crock pot....
Fill half full with a good beef stock. Find a good brand from a can. I use about 6 cans for my big crock. You can add equal parts of water but I prefer a stronger tasting soup.

Take your peeled onion and cut it in half. Top to bottom, stem down like you would a cantaloupe. Put the half down and cut it into small slices, sideways, across the grain. This gives you the nice long slivers.
I put in a lot (10 or so) onions. If you like it more soupy, use less. If you prefer a soup with lots of onions you almost cant put in too many as long as the beef broth covers the onions.
If onions really bother your eyes :cry: , did you know that cutting them under water will stop it. It's the gasses that the onions give off that bother your eyes. Cover them with water, cut them up and drain off the water.

Half a stick of butter. Optional if cholesterol is a problem but this the only fat going in the soup so it's really not all that bad.

2 Tbls. sugar.

2 Tbls. flower.

Cook it as long as you can. Longer cooking really brings out the onion flavor. 8-10 hrs is really good. :D

Put the soup into a bowl and top it with Parmesan croutons and either Swiss cheese or Mozzarella. Heat it up in a microwave or conv. oven to melt the cheese.
I like it with egg noodles or regular pasta to cut down on the cholesterol. :roll:

Be good, Jim

mapleleaf_1 02-18-2007 02:04 PM

What kind of flowers Devil? Roses, daisys, mums ? LOL j/k I also make my own french onion soup from scratch and take it on the road with me. Nothing better than your own home cooking while on the road. Drive safe everyone. :)

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE 02-18-2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleleaf_1
What kind of flowers Devil? Roses, daisys, mums ? LOL j/k I also make my own french onion soup from scratch and take it on the road with me. Nothing better than your own home cooking while on the road. Drive safe everyone. :)

Sorry Mapleleaf....
you lost me with the flowers part???????

Be good, Jim

devildice 02-18-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleleaf_1

Sorry Mapleleaf....
you lost me with the flowers part???????

Be good, Jim

He was teasing you because you said 2 Tbls of Flower instead of 2 Tbls of Flour :lol:

mapleleaf_1 02-18-2007 05:37 PM

I am a She not a He.

mikey4069 02-18-2007 09:41 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: