User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have found that many companies that DO allow inverters only allow the ones that will plug into the cig lighter.

What is the largest inverter that you can get like that and what would you be able to run off of it?

All I want to be able to do is keep the laptop charged, use a coffee pot, and perhaps either a toaster oven or something like a George Foreman grill. (one item running at a time of course)
Old 11-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
I also had a small propane grill...not supposed to have those either on a truck

Says who?

Was told this in orientation last year . I was also told it against company poliocy ,and was against the law ...I didn't see the logic in it ,so I went right ahead and brought my propane grill .
It might be against company policy, but it definately isn't against the law.

Quote:
§392.51 Reserve fuel; Materials of trade.

Small amounts of fuel for the operation or maintenance of a commercial motor vehicle (including its auxiliary equipment) may be designated as materials of trade (see 49 CFR 171.8).

(a) The aggregate gross weight of all materials of trade on a motor vehicle may not exceed 200 kg (440 pounds).

(b) Packaging for gasoline must be made of metal or plastic and conform to requirements of 49 CFR Parts 171, 172, 173, and 178 or requirements of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration contained in 29 CFR 1910.106.

(c) For Packing Group II (including gasoline), Packing Group III (including aviation fuel and fuel oil), or ORM-D, the material is limited to 30 kg (66 pounds) or 30 L (8 gallons).

(d) For diesel fuel, the capacity of the package is limited to 450 L (119 gallons).

(e) A Division 2.1 material in a cylinder is limited to a gross weight of 100 kg (220 pounds). (A Division 2.1 material is a flammable gas, including liquefied petroleum gas, butane, propane, liquefied natural gas, and methane).
Old 11-24-2006, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
I have found that many companies that DO allow inverters only allow the ones that will plug into the cig lighter.

What is the largest inverter that you can get like that and what would you be able to run off of it?

All I want to be able to do is keep the laptop charged, use a coffee pot, and perhaps either a toaster oven or something like a George Foreman grill. (one item running at a time of course)
300W is about as large as you can go with plug in. That is not much.
You can not run George's Grill or toaster over, microwave or hair dryer(1500W)

You CAN run most laptops, crock pot, and small TV if you boot it up by flipping on and off untill the power caps charge up. That is about the extent of it though.

1500W is about the smallest inverter that is "practical", but it reqires direct to battery installation.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webby
Quote:

You CAN run most laptops, crock pot, and small TV if you boot it up by flipping on and off untill the power caps charge up. That is about the extent of it though.

1500W is about the smallest inverter that is "practical", but it reqires direct to battery installation.
Oh ok. :? not what i was hoping to hear but it's all good. thank you.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webby
Quote:

Oh ok. :? not what i was hoping to hear but it's all good. thank you.
Just go buy a real inverter like a 2000w/4000w ,and some heavy guage wire , And hide the unit when going through a terminal ...it's not hard , and most drivers have them despite policy . Now if you don't think you are up to hooking it up safely then don't ...But it is realy a no brainer to install .
Old 11-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Board Regular

Quote:

Thats pretty odd. My company will only allow a "hardwired" inverter that our mechanics install. the only requirements are a min. of 2500 watts and that they install it. I guess in the past they've had a couple of trucks burn to the ground because of an overloadad inverter.

http://yankedriver.blogspot.com/
http://yankedriver2.blogspot.com/
Old 11-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Same here, hubby was informed in orientation he can have a 2500W inverter, but the maintenance shop has to install it. From the looks of it on here thats a blessing
Old 01-05-2007, 03:11 AM
Rookie
Default 12 volt

Hi:

I married to a trucker and recently opened a store that caters specifically to the professional driver. There is a 12 volt crock pot available, as well as toaster and a lot of other things that seem to be really great for being on the road. I can't compete with American prices, however I can provide information about various 12 volt items for on the road. I don't want to advertise but if you want to contact me about what is available I'll so my best to reply A.S.A.P.

Have a great day.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Rookie

Man just reading over greenmachine's post made me hungry! I have been trying so hard to diet and exercise, but you know what? Screw it, I want some french toast, talk to ya'll in a bit.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Board Regular

My company only allows 300w inverters....too many braindeads burnt up trucks. Between my cellphone, laptop and speakers, I only use about 75w. Walmart has a small 2 qt crockpot that uses 100w and cost around $10. I use the 12v 5 cup coffeepot, lunchbox and pizza oven by Tracker as well. The coffeepot takes about 15 minutes to brew, but you can use that time for a post-trip. When cooking wth the oven or lunchbox, I usually give 30 minutes for cooktime.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee