Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Family Support Forum (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/family-support-forum-14/)
-   -   Why? What? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/family-support-forum/29380-why-what.html)

Trukrswyfe 09-01-2007 05:16 PM

Why? What?

shyykatt 09-03-2007 12:58 AM

Came here for the same reasons as you; to get info on the industry, and its also entertaining :)

Ridge Runner 09-03-2007 01:25 AM

That's why I'm here. To keep all of you lonely trucker wives entertained. :lol:

LilBit 09-04-2007 03:56 AM

I came to this site back when my husband had went from a local driving job back to over the road and then really got in here when I was learning to drive myself and learning the ropes of it all...and now that I'm sitting back home while he's out and about I come here to keep up with all the things cause someday I want to be back out there again :)

I've gotten lots of support and advice, met quite a few on this site I've been glad that were here........this site was a good link for me when we were both otr and still is now that I'm sitting back home awhile :)

Trukrswyfe 09-05-2007 05:45 AM

Thank you Ridge that is mighty nice of you. However I really don't consider myself lonely, desperate maybe, lonely no.

I really just want to help calm fears of new driver's wives, or just answering their questions.

I'll start.

Every day will be a unique challenge for you if you aren't used to doing it all yourself. I guess I really didn't notice how much help my husband was till he was in a different time zone and of no help to me. When you do notice the things that you took for granted you should write them down and thank them. I wrote letters and sent pictures to him. I think guys like to feel both useful and appreciated.

Usually it's just like your talking to him at work. My husband worked the graveyard shift prior to this so I am used to him being gone at night.

We do not hang up on each other when one person is upset or having an attitude. Yes, this job is extremely dangerous and I don't ever want to have that be our last words to each other. When he does come home and there is some kind of disagreement, dont let him run to his truck till you have worked it out.

Just after my last post going to bed 11pm (my time, you will here that alot). "What time is it?" Your time or my time?" Anyway going to bed and husband called " That was a dead trucker" he says . "What ??!!" " He must have been going to fast because there was no weather to account, Driver side down at the top of Cabbage Hill with the guard rail going straight threw the windsheild. Good night honey sleep tight.
Yeah right.

I know why he does that, I think it is to make sure if I wasn't thinkin about him I would be now.

Again any ?? feel free??

Ridge Runner 09-05-2007 05:54 AM

Just kidding around Trukswyfe. I do know how hard your jobs are at home. Whilr I was away OTR my wife replaces a water heater and a dishwasher. She handles al of our rental property by herself andd makes sure the kids are well taken care of. ( Kids are a large part of her time ). My hat is off to you ladies that take care of the home-front while we are away. I'm local now but she stil takes care of most things around here.

Trukrswyfe 09-05-2007 06:23 AM

I guess there isn't any new truck drivers wives that come to this site oh well.

Trukrswyfe 09-15-2007 04:58 PM

This is a nightmare that trucker's wives must fear the most. When my husband called to tell me of this accident at 11:00pm PST I prayed and prayed for that man's family. Do not fight with your spose while on the road or if you do make up before you end the call.

This still make me cry when I see it.

dle 09-15-2007 06:11 PM

You may have already seen this site but just in case

http://www.loads.org/

Cheryle 10-05-2007 01:39 AM

Why i came to this site

I came to this site to find out how other wives of truck drivers cope with the time away from their husbands. How to learn to adjust. My husband has gone off and on since the end of July. That includes the two week course out of state and driving with the trainer.

I guess i just wanted to know that there were other women out there feeling the same way I do. Learn how to deal with the time apart. We talk alot on the phone. We actually talk more than we used to talk when he was home. But the voice over the phone doesnt replace him sleeping next to me every night.

I have 2 cats and a dog so I am not "alone"--but it is not the same.

It has been a hard adjustment for sure. For him too. He gets lonely. Seems to be a bit easier for him as time goes on. I dont hear "I miss you" as much on the phone as I used to. But when he is home he tells me how much he missed me while he was gone.

I know I am rambling, but I am new to the whole forum thing too. I will try not to ramble as much next time.

Thank you for being here

Ridge Runner 10-05-2007 12:28 PM

You go ahead and ramble all you want. Sometimes that is just what the Doctor ordered. :wink:

PyxieRin 10-05-2007 03:47 PM

Re: Why i came to this site

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheryle
I came to this site to find out how other wives of truck drivers cope with the time away from their husbands. How to learn to adjust. My husband has gone off and on since the end of July. That includes the two week course out of state and driving with the trainer.

I guess i just wanted to know that there were other women out there feeling the same way I do. Learn how to deal with the time apart. We talk alot on the phone. We actually talk more than we used to talk when he was home. But the voice over the phone doesnt replace him sleeping next to me every night.

I have 2 cats and a dog so I am not "alone"--but it is not the same.

It has been a hard adjustment for sure. For him too. He gets lonely. Seems to be a bit easier for him as time goes on. I dont hear "I miss you" as much on the phone as I used to. But when he is home he tells me how much he missed me while he was gone.

I know I am rambling, but I am new to the whole forum thing too. I will try not to ramble as much next time.

Thank you for being here

I am new to this whole forum thing too.......I come here mostly for the company info, it helps me to understand what he is talking about. My hubby just started trucking he is half way through his 6 weeks with a trainer. I just never know what to ask to get my point across. :oops: I do have a problem though if anyone has suggestions. How can I help him get over being nervous about going it alone for the first time. He says he doesn't worry now because the trainer is right there. He is flatbedding so he is worried about load securement and says he still can't get the shifting right...... Any ideas??

Trukrswyfe 10-06-2007 01:15 AM

PyxieRin,

Welcome to forum and I am glad to be of help. Idea for your husband, If he has a cell phone put it to good use and start adding contacts. Both his trainer and fellow students could really come in handy for him in the evenings when he may really need it. Depending on where he runs and what he is hauling we also have road side and other numbers programmed in for immediate help. for the upcoming weather there are numbers that you can call in each state for pass reports and again I would encourage your husband to have those dialed into the phone. I also keep various site in my favorites to get the current weather and road conditions for him. I check on the during the day and since I know his route or atleast the general area he is in ( especially the passes) and let him know about weather, construction, and or accidents he may encounter. This is one way to stay connected and relevant to your husband. He will find you essential and you both will have lots to talk about. If you go to eflying j on line you can order him a blue tooth parrot road kind head set that is hands free and cuts down on the road noise on your end. This will make talking less hazardous but still avoid talking too much when he is driving, him being new it could be too distracting. So not as to interupt his sleeping and or training I shoot him a text message" U Up" then he calls if he can talk. Thsi will help him get the neccessary sleep he needs for those long days.

My husband is himself a trainer and makes sure his students know that they can call him anytime they need. That being said my husband drives the evening and sometimes is sleeping when they call so have back up numbers that he can also use. People my husband went to school with still call him in a bind usually the evening for help with whatever. Truthfully with trucking everyday can have some many bumps, turns, and hiccups. We just try to laugh any say atleast it isn't boring.

As far as the shifting goes my husband has a guy that he had to tell shift, shift, over and over for quite some time. Their truck had a shift indicator but this student still required more help. Hope your husband's trainer is that patient. Truthfully I have to remind him that not everyone is as gifted as him and may need more help. Once he gets it though he probably will always have it. I have a load more help if you have specific questions other wise I could go on and on and on. :D

Trukrswyfe 10-06-2007 01:41 AM

Hello Cheryle,

Sorry I didn't respond right away it has been almost a month since I started this post and almost gave up. A big Welcome to you and your animals. I have three sons one dog and one cat. Of all of them I am the only female thank goodness for my five sisters.

Lets see if I can help. Nothing I say will fill the void your husband being gone has left but... it will get easier I promise One thing that really helped me in the beginning was find something to do to relieve stress or tension. With you husband gone one finds themself alittle more pent up then before. Exercise! Not sure if that is for you but I start walking and lifting weights so that in the month that your husband is away he may notice a change. Just an idea that helped me, less stress felt good about myself and well lets just say my husband felt good about myself too. Its a win win.

As far as being gone alot and sleeping alone, my husband worked graveyard for years so to me it is normal to have a bed all to myself. There are some many things I could say. I was an emotional roller coaster for the first few months some days I was fine with him being gone and other days I was a wreck, luckily I had to suck it up for the sake of my kids.

By the way where are you from? I am in Washington State I am, I just turned 30, I stay at home. My name is Charity, I hope I helped. Not sure if any of this is viable help but I have other suggestion that could let me know. See if going with your husband is possible that might be a real treat. BOL

shyykatt 10-06-2007 01:50 AM

Took me a long time to get used to being a 'truckers wife' as well; I've always been fairly independent, so it hasn't been quite as hard as I thought it would be. We don't have kids- just critters- they keep me busy. As far as sleeping alone- yeah that really sucks, but I am so used to it that when he comes home, I would rather he go sleep in the truck (j/k!) He is gone a month or more at a time these days, but we talk often.

Cheryle 10-06-2007 01:51 AM

I try and stay involved. I also check weather for him. I check Map Quest for miles from one place to another. Occasionally he will get a drop point with no address. So I look them up on line for him. I check the atlas to see where he is and where he is going. Keeps me involved in his day to day travels and gives me something to do.

We talk everyday and all evening. It helps. But is hard too. I listen to him complain when things dont go right for his deliveries and in the short time he has been driving, there have been a few. He gets very frustrated.

He was very nervous his first time out alone, but he does great. I am very proud of him. And I make sure to let him know it. But i miss him like crazy and have no idea when he will be home again. He wants to make money and doesnt get paid when he gets home. I cannot and do not let him know when I am feeling down. I try to be up up up all the time. And that is hard work !!!

I again... and very grateful that this forum is here.

Cheryle 10-06-2007 02:16 AM

Hi Shyykatt and Truckrswyfe-

Sleeping without my husband is hard. The animals like it because when he is home, they arent allowed in the bedroom. So they are loving in. The dog is a rotty who takes up a good part of the bed. The cats normally snuggle.

I am not big on exercise but I need to. Just because I know it will help me sleep better and feel better. And maybe will tone up some areas that need toning. It is on my "things I need to do list". I tend to be lazy and i have to stop that for sure.

I am in Michigan. I work so that helps that I am gone all day and a lot of days i bring work home to do in the evening to pass the time.

It is a frustrating time right now because we both had thought he would be home for a few days the beginning of the week. He had been to florida and georgia last week and brought a load from Florida to Michigan. Last time he brought one close, they scheduled him home for 3 days (wooo hoo) Anyway- he parked the truck on Saturday and came home for the week end since he didnt have to deliver until Monday. We spent a lot of time with his family and did not much alone time. But figured he would be back home Monday. When he dropped the load they sent him to North Carolina. When told them he thought he would be sent home for a few days since he was so close, they told him he needed to request time off. They did not tell him that before and scheduled him for his last at home. So he went from North Carolina to Florida and is now on his way to Texas. No idea when he will be back. I asked him if he put in a request when they told him that, he said no.

So we did not argue about it, i let it go- for now. I will ask him in another week if he has requested time off yet. They will have to find loads for him this way since they for sure will not let him drive all the way here empty.

It is weird when he is home after being gone. Hard to explain what i mean. I will think it thru and post it next time.

Nice to meet the two of you !!! :D

LadyRebel 06-07-2008 04:26 AM

I came here looking for a support site for truckers wives as i don't know anyone becides my husbands family that deal with the industry. a friend of mine that i made on another forums site suggested here and i came, signed up and checked it out a lil and then went back to the other site. I realize now that the other site isn't a good fit for me as there are just too many clicks on it and if your not in the right one and think differently that any of the people there that are in the popular click then you really don't have too many people who will talk to you or reply to your posts. It got old and now most of the people that i have been friends with have either disappeared from there or have left completely. there are a few that still linger there but i just wanted to find something new. I met my husband when he was on the road and he has been off and back on and off the road while we have been together. I have a daughter and he's working on getting back on the road as working here just isn't cutting it. we both have to work 2 full time jobs just to make it and it's not possible as we wouldn't be able to afford daycare and have no one here that can help with watching her that we trust with her. I'm glad i found this site as I have been lingering for a little while now and reading posts and it seems like a good group of people. I can't wait to jump in and start getting involved.

Cheryle 06-07-2008 09:01 PM

Welcome

Hi and welcome. I have not been on this site in way too long. It is hard being the wife of an OTR driver. That is for sure. This forum helped me a lot and I should not have stayed away so long. Am glad to see a "new face"

I have not tried any other sites,just this one. It helps to know that we are not alone !!!

LilBit 06-08-2008 04:37 AM

Hello LadyRebel ;) Good to see you here. This site was the one that I learned quite a bit from a few years back and really helped me to 'hang in there' when I needed it then. Haven't been as active here like I was back then, just a case of being busy round home...and with that other site too...lots of good information around this site, hoping you like it here ;)