User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Newbie!

Hi Everyone,
Just needing some advice. My fiancé is a truck driver & recently has started doing interstate trips which is sounding like it will be a fulltime thing. We're only 20 years old so it’s abit difficult at the moment. Especially because we’re engaged, living together and are eventually going to start thinking about kids. I don't want to stop him from his dreams but I can't walk away either so I'm just going to have to accept it. Just wanted to hear other experiences & how yous kept your relationship alive. We're so young we need some sort of guidance. Any advice is appreciated, really need someone to talk to that's in the same sort of situation. He’s away right now and I’m really missing him
Thank you xoxoxo
Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan1997 View Post
Hi Everyone,
Just needing some advice. My fiancé is a truck driver & recently has started doing interstate trips which is sounding like it will be a fulltime thing. We're only 20 years old so it’s abit difficult at the moment. Especially because we’re engaged, living together and are eventually going to start thinking about kids. I don't want to stop him from his dreams but I can't walk away either so I'm just going to have to accept it. Just wanted to hear other experiences & how yous kept your relationship alive. We're so young we need some sort of guidance. Any advice is appreciated, really need someone to talk to that's in the same sort of situation. He’s away right now and I’m really missing him
Thank you xoxoxo
well only from my perspective 20 is too young to be engaged. i got married at 28 myself. not saying that you two are not in love but 20 is still way too young to be starting to think marriage and kids, as neither of you have grown.

if he does go OTR (interstate) he will be gone for periods of time. how much time? depends on him, his job and other factors. this WILL PUT a strain on two young people.

i say "let it ride" what he is doing for now, do not get married or have kids right now.

if he seems to really like being on the road, MORE THAN at home, then seriously, dump him.

as it is when he will be away, you will basically be a "single parent, single renter or home owner"...

you really ain't gonna enjoy all the responsibilities that 2 should share, which is what a relationship/marriage is.

best of luck to you and him.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:16 AM
Rookie

Just looking for advice & support .. not for someone to absolutely slam my relationship and make me feel worse.

Last edited by Shan1997; 11-09-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAnthony View Post
well only from my perspective 20 is too young to be engaged. i got married at 28 myself. not saying that you two are not in love but 20 is still way too young to be starting to think marriage and kids, as neither of you have grown.

if he does go OTR (interstate) he will be gone for periods of time. how much time? depends on him, his job and other factors. this WILL PUT a strain on two young people.

i say "let it ride" what he is doing for now, do not get married or have kids right now.

if he seems to really like being on the road, MORE THAN at home, then seriously, dump him.

as it is when he will be away, you will basically be a "single parent, single renter or home owner"...

you really ain't gonna enjoy all the responsibilities that 2 should share, which is what a relationship/marriage is.

best of luck to you and him.

“Best of luck”? After completely slamming my relationship. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:00 AM
Board Icon

Question for you Shan, are you allowed to go with him? If so, go, go as much as you can.

This job is extremely tough on relationships. Being out there with him will help the both of you. There will be times where he is just plum wore out and you may not understand why unless you've been out there and seen what he goes thru. Not going with him and understanding some of the strains and stresses can very quickly dissolve a relationship.

My wife wants to go with me, I'm a hybrid driver. I'm a bit local/regional/OTR all rolled into one. I do not come home until my 5/6 days of running are up. We have to wait another 2 months before she can go with me, got to have a year in. We have 2 kids, 3 and 4 years old. It's hard on my 4 year old, he really understands what I do and not being there much. 3 year couldn't care any less. It was a big change for my wife, from home every day to me not being there at all. She is used to being on her own but with kids and a full time job, it's difficult. Luckily my parents live 5 minutes away so they can help out at home in my place. You will have to be strong emotionally and mentally but, back to the top, GO OUT WITH HIM as soon as you can!
Old 11-10-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan1997 View Post
Just looking for advice & support .. not for someone to absolutely slam my relationship and make me feel worse.
you're not gonna get sugar and spices and everything nices.

buck up, this is trucking, and this is the way it is.

again, good luck.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Trucking can be difficult on relationships. It can either bring you closer together or drive you apart. You are both still very young. Your boyfriend has an opportunity to earn an above average income and save a nice nest egg. If you plan on getting married it would be great to have money saved to get a start in life. Finances are a primary cause of divorce. If you are staying home you could get an education or get your CDL and drive as a team. You could be together and double your income. Many truckers have good careers and strong marriages. It takes work. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:17 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

WOW! I just saw GMAN! Getting as rare as Scoe sightings.
Glad he wasn't wearing any antlers.

Also been spotting some nice 8-pointers around my place lately.
Anyone deer hunting this year?

So... is Shan talking aboot trucking in the USA or Australia?
I think Kiwi Mitch speaks a little Australian... maybe he can help.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
WOW! I just saw GMAN! Getting as rare as Scoe sightings.
Glad he wasn't wearing any antlers.

Also been spotting some nice 8-pointers around my place lately.
Anyone deer hunting this year?

So... is Shan talking aboot trucking in the USA or Australia?
I think Kiwi Mitch speaks a little Australian... maybe he can help.
haha hog we nuthin like those aussies they our sport enimees that y we beat them