Old 10-15-2021, 12:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer View Post
Having been in the industry for 20+ years now on the other side of the wall, I can tell you that no one has seen anything like what we are dealing with today. It wasn't so much COVID itself that did it, although I'm sure there were some permanent losses because of it. However, it was our government's response to it. That extra unemployment bonus drove a lot of drivers out of the industry. Hard to argue with a guy that says he's getting $1500 to $1800+ per week from the government to do nothing, so why work?

Pay has skyrocketed and even that's not enough to draw drivers in. $.60 CPM is low now. Lots of companies are over $.70 CPM for regional company driver runs; more for long haul. Local company runs that used to pay $40K to $50K a year are paying upwards of $80K or better. Regional and OTR; many are well over $100K. O/O's on pct. pay are grossing $500K or better a year. The old guard is retiring and the new guard...well, they're not much of a guard. Companies are desperate. I was at a conference a couple weeks ago and at that point, there were almost 8 loads available PER truck in North America. And that's not including all the cargo ships sitting off the ports everywhere because of the lack of crane operators and longshoreman. This is literally the time to build retirements in the industry, especially if you have or can get your own truck; problem is, the younger generation doesn't see that.

So Windy, right now the industry is in shambles. Personally, I think the only thing that is going to ultimately save it is automated fleets, reducing most driving to local LTL. But that'll be past my expiration date.
Boy howdy about the pay increases!! So, here I am looking to retire or at least go part time and I had it all lined up and then Pilot/Flying J called me with an offer to haul DEF for them. First thing I asked was how much per hour and the second thing was can I work part time? Hiring manager says, they were paying $26 ph but just bumped it to $32 ph. Averaging about 60 hrs per week. OK, I told him I'm listening!! What about just working part time. We agreed if I give him 6 months of full time then I can do part time. Beginning of March is my goal to go part time. Until then...come on big money!!

Old 10-16-2021, 07:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
He told me right out of the blue, and my face hit the waste basket, as my jaw dropped.
Alas, it's true! I drink coffee now, but just one cup in the morning. I can't stand tea without milk, and my old guts won't take milk anymore, or they'll have me rolling around in pain.

No more trucking for me either! I travel posh now, I does, sir https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BzjPukTLoY

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 10-17-2021, 03:32 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Love that video Wot, it reminded me of Major Modern General,
from Pirates of Penzance >>----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1dy44jV8EM

May you always travel on the Posh side of the ship -- after all you are the most Posh member CAD has ever known!
By our standards you are even Royalty.
You live near the Castle Grounds, and are heir 1024th in line to the Throne!

May I once again affirm my loyalty to you Sire!
I shall bash my head against the floor, until you tell me to stop!

(Hog falls to his hands and knees and really puts some Mustard behind it)

BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM -- BAM -- BAM -- BAM -- BAM----BAM-----BAM---------BAM----------BAM

Last edited by Roadhog; 10-17-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:33 PM
Board Icon

.......20 minutes later........... thud.....................thud..................... ..thud.........................thud............... .........thud

Old 10-17-2021, 10:09 PM
Board Icon

Here is the newer more Modern Major General. Yes Sir, I mean Ma'am, I mean .... FFS!

Why all the medals? Looks like attendance medals.
The " I fought the Latrine's at Ohio Post 33" ...it was the dead of winter.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...nch-manicures/

Last edited by Roadhog; 10-23-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:12 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer View Post
Having been in the industry for 20+ years now on the other side of the wall, I can tell you that no one has seen anything like what we are dealing with today. It wasn't so much COVID itself that did it, although I'm sure there were some permanent losses because of it. However, it was our government's response to it. That extra unemployment bonus drove a lot of drivers out of the industry. Hard to argue with a guy that says he's getting $1500 to $1800+ per week from the government to do nothing, so why work?

Pay has skyrocketed and even that's not enough to draw drivers in. $.60 CPM is low now. Lots of companies are over $.70 CPM for regional company driver runs; more for long haul. Local company runs that used to pay $40K to $50K a year are paying upwards of $80K or better. Regional and OTR; many are well over $100K. O/O's on pct. pay are grossing $500K or better a year. The old guard is retiring and the new guard...well, they're not much of a guard. Companies are desperate. I was at a conference a couple weeks ago and at that point, there were almost 8 loads available PER truck in North America. And that's not including all the cargo ships sitting off the ports everywhere because of the lack of crane operators and longshoreman. This is literally the time to build retirements in the industry, especially if you have or can get your own truck; problem is, the younger generation doesn't see that.

So Windy, right now the industry is in shambles. Personally, I think the only thing that is going to ultimately save it is automated fleets, reducing most driving to local LTL. But that'll be past my expiration date.
I've heard the Teamsters are doing everything they can to monopolize all freight from the ports, and squeeze out the O/O. The union Crane operators are slow walking and taking extra long breaks, and if you so much as look at them wrong/complain, they will drop your order, and go on to the next. These asshats are paid $250k per year too. Now they must be making that much per container.... you know.... hey Hunter ByDong makes half a million per finger painting. Passed a McD's with a sign in the window << $17/hr. >> and that's in Northern Michigan.

Me thinks all the extra money people are making, may somehow all be worthless, sooner than people may expect. Your 15k nest egg from last year, is now worth 10k.

I look around where I am at, and everyone is in such a scurry to fix up their homes and gather their nuts for the Long Winter.
Winters Commin' ... and the nights are dark and full of terrors.

Last edited by Roadhog; 10-18-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Modern Major-General, love it!

Yeah, we live quite close to the Castle, and about a mile from the Palace too. Can't be too many cities in world where there is a castle and a palace, surely?

I'd rather live out in the country, where the air if fresh and clean, and birds sing like they mean it, and the animals would all join in, singing as I chop down trees...."Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I sleep all night and I work all day"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfRdur8GLBM

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 10-25-2021, 12:03 PM
Board Icon

..... (meanwhile, back at post #24)

amazing how much a person will drool, after bashing their head against the floor, for over an hour.
Hog lays in a puddle of slobber, repeating over and over.... "he's sooooo British...... he's sooooo British....he's soooo British..."

a couple large CAD moderators come into the Moose Lodge, and grab Hog by his shoulders and drag him off by his heels....
you can hear insane laughter as he's dragged down the K Hall and then a brief scuffle at the elevator doors....
Hog knows where the elevator goes to.... more insane laughter and finally ..... some peace.

(to be continued after 3 weeks of therapy)

Old 10-27-2021, 01:18 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wot i life View Post
..."Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I sleep all night and I work all day"

May I say sir..., no matter Wot, to me, you are always living abroad.

Last edited by Roadhog; 10-27-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
..... (meanwhile, back at post #24)

Hog knows where the elevator goes to.... more insane laughter and finally ..... some peace.

(to be continued after 3 weeks of therapy)
And of course, after just a few months in the asylum, Hog managed to convince all the docs that THEY were crazy, whilst he and the other crazies were calm, reasoned, rational people.
A campaign began to have Hog elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. From humble origins in the tiny Devonshire parish of Migglemugglethorpe, the campaign team sent out millions – well, a few dozen or more – leaflets promoting Hog’s new radical ideas to save the British economy.
1. Online retail will be abolished, to promote the “big shop” on Friday afternoons.
2. People going out on Friday for the “big shop” must wear silk headscarves, to identify them, so that other road users might always give them right of way.
3. Wearing a silk headscarf when RETURNING from the “big shop” will be deemed Un-British and punishable by life banishment from the realm.
4. The “big shop” must not take place at large hypermarkets or supermarkets, but at the nearest local village store or farmer’s market. That is to say, the “big shop” must take place in little shops.
5. In order to encourage the Friday “big shop” throughout the kingdom all other Friday afternoon activities will be deemed an Act of Treason, with the obvious exception of playing cricket.

Remember chaps! Your country needs you! Now, go and do the big shop (in a small shop) to-day!

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit