Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Current Trucking Events (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/current-trucking-events-104/)
-   -   cell phones (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/current-trucking-events/26202-cell-phones.html)

dreas34 04-09-2007 02:36 AM

cell phones

I know this topic has came up frequently... My husband and I were looking into switching from nextel to cingular, but I am wondering if they have better coverage out west. We live in Michigan and he just switched driving companies and is making longer runs, so would like a better phone because nextel doesnt cut it out there. I dont know if any of them do really, but are any others better? Any info would be helpful... Thanks!

4roses 04-09-2007 03:59 AM

have you tried Sprint .... I know alot of drivers that use this one ... between it and Cingual .... there's not alot of difference thou ... there will always be 'spots' in the N/W your not going to get coverage.

Jackrabbit379 04-11-2007 07:53 PM

I have Cingular. I've never been up in the north west. I used to run California, Arizona, and New Mexico quite a bit. I also used to spend a lot of time in the midwest. Kansas, Nebraska, North, and South Dakota. I never had any trouble with Cingular. There was one place in Kansas that I had some trouble getting service, and that was in the north west corner, north of Goodland, KS. Like for4roses said, you will find dead spots. I think you will run into that with all cell phone providers.

jjcasper 04-11-2007 08:33 PM

NEXTELL - Sprint , Cingular and Verison are you best bets for coverage. The have what is called shared networks. Cingular/ATT do not have as many shared areas. I sugest going to all there web sites and look at coverage maps. I think you will be happy where you are.

BiGG T33 08-28-2007 04:10 PM

Verison is the best provider ,been with them 4yrs and haven't lost a call other then battery needing recharged,bill doesn't change...and the network card for internet is excellant choice...i have a national plan 2 phones 1500 min 84.00 a month..some might be cheaper but you get what you pay for....

Matter of fact if you don't have good credit they require 400.00 deposit and after 1yr they give it back with interest which i beleive is 80.00 or something..
I've had sprint/nextel/at&t and verison blows them away in my opinion..every 2 yr we get 100.00 for each phone and it goes towards a new phone...

hopefully this helps you out!

greg3564 08-28-2007 04:18 PM

I have one of the Sprint/Nextel hybrid phones. It uses the Sprint network for calls and the Nextel network for direct connect. Best of both worlds. I had been a Nextel customer for two years before I bought that phone and was happy. Now, with the hybrid, I'm much happier with the coverage.

BiGG T33 08-30-2007 05:26 PM

never heard of those hybrid phone makes since tho....

shanhamm 09-01-2007 09:35 PM

i have had sprint and cingular. sprint wasn't so bad I would use them agian. now I have verizon wireless, and I think they are the cats meow. They are not to bad on price, but I am very happy with there service.

bouncer 09-04-2007 07:23 PM

I have tried them all verizon is the best.

bluegrassdeb 09-06-2007 12:53 AM

Verizon gets my vote too. I had cingular when I lived in Florida before I was a trucker but when I switched to Sprint when I moved to Ohio the service was horrible. They really riped me off. I called and called to let them know I was not supposed to be in Roaming, at least thats what the girl told me at the Sprint store in Florida. They ended up shutting my phones off with no warning. Even after I had called and told them the phone keeps going to roaming and I was supposed to have unlimited long distance and the whole works I paid for. Ended up telling them to shove it up their you know whats after calling at least a dozen times to get to the bottom of the matter. I got lied to is the bottom line and they didn't give a shit. Verizon has never told me something that was not true. Never had any problems. Maybe a couple dropped calls down around the Mexican border but thats it. Great company as far as I'm concerned. Again I did like Cingular but that was in Florida can't speak for coverage any where else with them. Pre-trucker when I had em.

Mandilon 10-05-2007 08:37 PM

Cingular is a piece of trash (4 me) when traveling in southern NM. AND I found out they were bought-out by the biggest thives in the world (my opinion) at&t.

microshit is NOT too far behind them. Check-out bill gates in search engines to see what professionals and geeks think about his products/services.

I was thinking about sprint but with above info I think I'll switch to Virizon.

THX 4 the info & God Bless.

Doctor Who 10-06-2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

I found out they were bought-out by the biggest thives in the world (my opinion) at&t.
Actually Cingular was brought back home to AT&T...

The statute of Limitations is over for the Forced breakup of AT&T (Ma Bell) so all the "Baby Bells" are being brought back home....

Deus 10-06-2007 01:35 AM

I have sprint and while I can say their coverage and call quality is excellent, you better hope you never have any billing issues. Their customer service is dreadful. I have one year left in my contract (been a customer for around 8 years now) and then I am switching to T-Mobile I think. All my friends seem to be satisfied with them.

greg3564 10-06-2007 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deus
I have sprint and while I can say their coverage and call quality is excellent, you better hope you never have any billing issues. Their customer service is dreadful. I have one year left in my contract (been a customer for around 8 years now) and then I am switching to T-Mobile I think. All my friends seem to be satisfied with them.

Tmobile has wosre customer service than Sprint. I have Sprint no and had Tmobile three years ago. I've never dealt with such terrible service. Also their coverage lacks in some areas. In Montana you can rarely get any signal even in the bigger cities. Sprint has some of the best nationwide coverage.

worldisnotenough 10-06-2007 07:02 AM

whatever service you get, Please, AND I MEAN PLEASE, for the love of all things that are holy, get a headset. I am sick of big truck drivers almost coming into to my lane yacking on a phone with their head crocked to one side. 4 wheelers are bad enough, big truck drivers should know better.

Deus 10-06-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:

Tmobile has wosre customer service than Sprint. I have Sprint no and had Tmobile three years ago. I've never dealt with such terrible service. Also their coverage lacks in some areas. In Montana you can rarely get any signal even in the bigger cities. Sprint has some of the best nationwide coverage.

Hmm all my friends say they are taken care of over phone support quickly and politely.

I have had a couple issues with Sprint not following through with what they said they were going to do (some of which involved renewing contracts) and when I call they say "Well, go ahead and cancel your service and pay the $200 cancelation fee." and hang up on me.

Wonderful people.

greg3564 10-06-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:

Hmm all my friends say they are taken care of over phone support quickly and politely.

I have had a couple issues with Sprint not following through with what they said they were going to do (some of which involved renewing contracts) and when I call they say "Well, go ahead and cancel your service and pay the $200 cancelation fee." and hang up on me.

Wonderful people.

When I transferred my number to Nextel from Tmobile they charged me a $400 early termination fee. The kicker is when I did it I had 10 days left in my contract. I thought it had expired already, but learned when I changed plans a while back they extended my contract by 6 months. No body at Tmobile would waive the charge or prorate the ten days. I went as far as a department manager and no one with common sence would help me. It wasn't until I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau that someone from their corporate HQ called and offered to let me pay a prorated amount of $30 and call it quits.

worldisnotenough 10-06-2007 07:34 PM

I hate my nextel service. Love the phone but that does not help much in the dessert.

ladykatrina 10-23-2007 09:21 PM

a dessert is something you eat!... :D hee-hee

Trukrswyfe 10-29-2007 01:24 AM

I have a sony erickson and it is a piece of crap. So as far as hardware is concerned which phone gets the best service? Razors? of what? opinions. We have at&t and seem to get no service in WY what so ever and CO. thanks in advance.

Uturn2001 10-29-2007 01:50 AM

IMHO when it comes to phone quality LG phones are the best.

I have owned LG's, Kyocera, Samsung, and Motorola phones over the years.

LG was by far the best in terms of range and overall quality. Samsung makes a decent product too.

Kyocera is a joke and Motorola phones are a high priced joke as far as I am concerned.

WHile they are getting somewhat hard to find anymore, anyone who is traveling around the country needs to still get a tri-mode phone if at all possible. There are still some areas where you can only get an analog signal and if you have an all digital phone you are SOL in those areas.

BTW: When I was OTR I had Verizon service. Never had a real issue with them. With the tri mode phones I used I was rarely ever totally without a signal and I took that phone into every lower 48 state except RI. 90% of the time if I did not have a signal it was in the Rocky Mtn's when a big hunk of rock was between me and the cell tower.

Trukrswyfe 10-29-2007 02:36 AM

I am sorry but what is a LG?

Uturn2001 10-29-2007 12:47 PM

LG is a brand name. They make electronic devices, home appliances and other products.

http://us.lge.com/index.jhtml

Many cell service providers offer LG phones, but not all of them.

cdltpx 10-30-2007 02:30 AM

cell phones

A good head set is a must I never leave home with out it. The kind I have found that works best for me is the one with a wire and a rubber hook that loops around the lower back of the ear, it looks like clear rubber and helps keep out a lot of noise. I like this device because I can carry it in the bag with the phone if the device is too big to carry everywhere you will not have it when you need it.
If you are having trouble with calls it might be the phone too some of these phones are poor quality and are a major cause of dropped calls I had one of those I-phones and the reception and quality of the call was amazing but I returned it because I was too afraid to loose it or drop it if i loos ethe cheap one it is just 25 dollars lost but if i loose or even drop the i phone it cost 400 dollars that is like loosing a laptop.
I have come to the reality that we are blessed to even have phone and wireless internet we can keep up with things for a fee I remember the days when I had to find truck parking and a pay phone every time my boss beeped me. That jerk would page me every 30 min sometimes. He would do this to delay me so he could buy more time to locate an inbound load.

heavyhaulerss 11-04-2007 02:48 AM

verizon!!! peroid.