Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Current Trucking Events (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/current-trucking-events-104/)
-   -   Interesting article about pay and shady companies (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/current-trucking-events/23043-interesting-article-about-pay-shady-companies.html)

EasyRolln 12-14-2006 01:01 PM

Interesting article about pay and shady companies

http://driversmag.com/cover/owner_op..._brady_121306/

Useless 12-18-2006 05:38 PM

Very interesting article, Easyrollin!!

I am sensing the very early rumblings of a shift in the social and economic pendulum; I think that as more and more workers are becoming displaced, and affected by this "economy at all cost" mentality that has become increasingly prevalent, the winds of change will begin to blow stronger.

American jobs are being shipped overseas, and immigrant "guest workers" are being brought in to replace American workers. Now, it isn't going to happen overnight, but I believe that the people who's livelihoods have been adversely affected will take rise, and demand that changes be made.

Yes, I am aware that stockholders may "own" a corporation, but it is the people who are employed by a corporation who make it work, and produce the profits. Their stake is being severely diminished.

As an employer and as a business owner, even I can see this war that is being waged against the middle class. There are many economic venues (manufacturing, for one!!) where it has become impossible for me to invest and in, provide a living wage and affordable benefits program for employees, offer entry level jobs with potential for growth and promotion, turn a profit, and remain competitive.

Hopefully, that will someday change.

Mackman 12-19-2006 01:30 AM

Thats was a good read and i believe it is the truth show them the money

classicxl 12-19-2006 10:35 AM

good article. now if any body in management would actually pay attention to it things might change for the better

kjax 12-19-2006 12:36 PM

And I'd bet articles concerning "driver shortage" will continue to be the norm.

-FlyByNight- 12-19-2006 02:55 PM

Interesting indeed. I've listened to that guy on Sirius Road Dog Trucking. He's...um...different to say the least. However, I do believe he has some accurate points from time to time.

Jason607 12-25-2006 10:54 PM

Good read.

Well, I am on my second half of training, so I am a rookie driver. I kind of jumped on to trucking because automotive fell through the floor. I talked to several guys in trucking and thier paychecks were nice considering it was thier first year in the buisness. Now that I'm out there, I see why it isn't really that good of money.

Most jobs, you work 8hrs day 40hrs or so a week or at least in that range, when you go home, your home free, and there are not much worries. Trucking, well your home is the truck, but you don't have the same rights as if you were in your home. Every aspect of your day is subject to some kind of law. You don't have a second admendment, the fourth is pretty much gone. The truck is basically your home, but if it is a company truck, the company can give permission to search it, the landlord can't do this, but a truck owner can. I have talked to guys who said that the thier belongings trucks been turned upside down and everything questioned. No real reason for the search, just "random" or "routine" searches. We are not prisoners in a prison for some horrible crime. Very few companies will hire a person with a criminal record and any serious crime, you can't even get a CDL. Most truck drivers are law abiding citizens to the core.

kingajo 05-20-2007 12:42 AM

Yeah that was some good info. You know with the poor pay, getting screwed over by dispatch and what toward the end of my over the road career seemed like constant Law Enforcement harassment. There isn't a company out there today that could offer me enough to get back into a truck and drive over the road. The only home away from home that I want to drive anymore is my motorhome, heading for the coast or the mountains.

KINGAJO

marcel27208 05-28-2007 04:06 PM

If you ask me i think a "driver shortage" is good, less trucks in the area= more loads for me to choose from , less trucks on road= less trucks that can be blamed for an accident :lol:

Sassy_1 06-18-2007 07:48 AM

the aretical you read was for the O/O. Like most of the CB chatter is what I make and what do you make . O/O pay for all the cost, and get to right off less and less. If you have health insurance be happy, most can't afford it.