User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default was never properly trained to back up/need help

ever since trucking sponcered school ( which crank you out like CATTLE in 2 weeks ) never was taught correct method of backup. This has been an on going problem fo me. If I have enough room to get kind of straightened out I can back up to dock. Have been forced to find jobs in trucking that don't use docks. For example furniture delivery to customer's location, transporting new trucks to customers. Also hot shot straight trucks no problem to back up to dock. These were all low paying jobs. Ths is keeping me from making better money, NEED HELP, any sugggestions would be helpful & appreciated. Thanks ZDRIVER.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Welcome to CAD ZDRIVER.

You have to practice, and it's best to have someone spot you, until you develop some skills.
One thing that will help you, is if you have a sliding tandem, slide your tandems all the way back.
That slows the rate of swing, and puts your pivot point closer to your back doors.

If you loose sight of where you are, get out and look at how you are doing.
When I first started out, I was jumping out of the truck a lot to spot myself, especially at night,
and you'd see me in the back lot of a Truck Stop, out where I was all alone, practicing.

If you can, have someone help you in the beginning, to get you started.
They can help talk you through a few times, offer you some tips as they see how you do, and where you are having problems.
Most truckers will always be happy to spot for you, and many will even offer their help, without you asking sometimes.

It's going to cause you some nerves in the beginning.
We all go through it, so be easy on yourself, and don't worry about making a mistake, that is how you learn and by practice.
Don't let anyone back your truck for you, help you yes, but don't give up the command of your ship.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Senior Board Member

my advice.. just do what you have to do and take your time! most drivers will help you and spot you if needed. its a nack. no real advice except dont get nervious and jsut take your time. once you get it you'll never lose it.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

It's hard to tell you how to do something like bump a dock or park in a truckstop cause no two are the same. It changes from tandam/fith wheel setting to how fast you turn the streeging wheel.
Just practice, when the light bulb clicks on then just keep doing the exact same thing the same way in the same spot till ya got it. Then just start changing little things one thing at a time! Try a different angle or turn the wheel slower ect, that way you can see what happens when you make the change. Soon you'll know how to set up for different backs and you'll steer it right in there.

Does the school you went to offer a refreasher course? If so that might be the way to go.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member

u jokas use semi trailers ,come here and learn on proper trailer ,if you can back your ute and trailer you should have no trouble with a semi .bet i in the s--t again now c ya
Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchno1 View Post
u jokas use semi trailers ,come here and learn on proper trailer ,if you can back your ute and trailer you should have no trouble with a semi .bet i in the s--t again now c ya
why do you insist on posting when you have 0 to contribute?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
why do you insist on posting when you have 0 to contribute?
well if your trainer dosnt teach you jokas how to back trailers for your license the person doing the testing for the license must be slacker.after all the regulations you say on here you got to put up with i would think reversing a trailer would be included
Old 12-09-2012, 03:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It takes practice to back a trailer. Don't be afraid to stop, set the brakes, walk back to check what is going on behind your trailer. A mistake a lot of inexperienced drivers make is over steering. If you can get a truck, find a parking lot or a industrial park where you can practice your backing. Drivers used to help one another more than today, but most will help you back into a tight spot if you ask.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Tons and tons of good advice here ZDriver. Especially what Roadhog said. I've never tried sliding the axles back but it makes perfect sense. An old crusty driver once told me not to fear longer trailers. The longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up. It took just a moment of reflecting on what a bugger a little U-Haul rental trailer is to realize he was right. What Roadhog advised is just a method to make your trailer maneuver like it's even longer than it is, and longer is easier. Once you get that into your head, you realize it's really not that tough (most of the time). Also, like Firebird said, other drivers will help you. More than once, I got help from other drivers in truck stops that were extra tight (my memory is slipping but I'm thinking the Pilot in Newburgh, NY is a place where a fellow driver's help is a godsend).

And get out and look!!! I had to do that today in my little straight truck. It didn't feel right. I'm usually good about taking a mental snapshot as I position the truck to back up and this time I just felt confused. I got out and looked and avoided a problem with low branches from a tree.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Board Icon

Thanks MD

Sliding the tandems all the way back increases the amount of time you have to react, as you are backing. It slows the rate of swing, but also puts the rear axle (pivot point) closer to your back doors. With the piviot point at your back doors, you can watch better how you are lining up, and you know where your doors are. With the tandems further up, you can't tell as easily right where the back doors are. (depth perception) The rate of swing is faster at the tail, with more of the trailer hanging out past the pivot point. (rear axle)

It's a good habit to move the tandems all the way back to support loading/off loading, so that the fork lift isn't as rough on your equipment. So even if I don't need to move my tandems for backing, before I bump the dock, I slide the tandems back, and often at that time, I open my doors, as I usually haul frozen, and you need to keep your doors shut until you need to bump the dock. (the best backers are reefer drivers)

Real tight situations are going to require all your skills, moving the tandems, maybe even the 5th wheel.
I can give tips all day long, but this is one of those things you have to practice.

I'll offer a few more tips though... In reverse, you are not going to need much to get rolling, maybe just letting out the clutch.
Keep your foot covering the brake pedal, to always be ready to slow down or stop.

Perform pull ups to line yourself up better, and get out and look for obstacles, don't assume you are clear, if you can't see.
Sit comfortable in your seat and use your mirrors. Hopefully you have electric mirrors, and can reposition them if need be.
Don't lean out the door, you will look like a dick who does't know how to back.

I use the top of the steering wheel to make small adjustments, and the bottom of the steering wheel to make larger adjustments.
Turn your steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go.

Last edited by Roadhog; 12-10-2012 at 01:21 AM.