User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Recent Grad

Hello I was woundering if any one had any advise on getting a job I graduated June 9 2009 I had a pre hire with Roelh and I recently found out I had diabeates. My doctor and there doctor both cleared me to drive and gave me my dot certificate still they said I was disquafied to drive for them. And now I can't find anything My school was 6 weeks Mon-Thur 8am to 5pm and 192 hours.If any one has a suggestion I really could use it. Thank you.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Rookie
Default Same boat

Ya, I just graduated June 15th with all my endorsments. :deal: I cant even get a pre hire though. That really sucks that even after you were cleared by the doc's that they dropped you! Anyhow good luck on finding a job. I only hope the best for us new graduates!:toilet:
Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Rookie
Default That's discrimination

Is there anything in the legal department that you can do against them.
I mean if the dr. says your ok to drive, it should be ok, I mean you still need to eat and pay bills even though you have diabetes right?
That's not right, I feel you man, I've been struggling for the last 2 months to get a job, I just graduated too, May 15th.
Best of luck, bro:thumbsup:
Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 PM

It does not matter if a doctor cleared a driver or not. The company doesn't know the qualifications of the doctor or chiropractor that cleared your medical card they could be a quack for all they know and most are. A driver must pass company qualifications and if it is written in the company's policy that they cannot hire drivers with diabetes or other pre existing medical conditions then so be it. If your insulin dependent then you can kiss any driving job good bye. Anymore you have to be semi healthy to drive a truck. Your best bet is to look into smaller local regional companies.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Companies can be as picky as they want with economy in the tank, use to be able to pick from multiple companies not any more.
Good luck.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:05 AM
Senior Board Member

OTR driving is really not conducive to successful management of diabetes. The hours are long, they tend to be rather irregular, the work is very sedentary, and stress levels tend to run high. Maintaining a proper diet and healthy eating habits, stayimg properly hydrated, and developing regular sleep patterns, all which are big keys in successful management of diabetes, all becomes extremely difficult. All of these factors only serve to exacerbate the problems that a diabetic faces. Consequently, diabetes is a condition that is extremely difficult for a driver to manage properly, even under favorable circumstances. For a rookie driver, those conditions are seldom favorable.

I'm not only speaking as a former driver, but also as a degreed RN. I lost count of the number of patients that I cared for who were former drivers, with diabetes that was out of control, who were facing amputations and ESRD. (End Stage Renal Dysfunction)

As for trucking companies not wanting to hire you?? Consider the possible liability implications they would face in having you behind the wheel of one of their trucks. Consider the legal implications (possibly criminal, including the possibility of a prison sentence) you would face if you were ever in a wreck that involved loss of life or serious, even permanent injury to someone else, if the course of investigation reveals that your diabetes contributed to the collision.

Trust me, if you are diabetic, then driving a big truck is probably not your wisest choice.

Last edited by Useless; 08-31-2009 at 04:12 AM.