User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Southern Illinois earthquake

I know this isn't trucking related but we had an earthquake this morning at 4:30 am this morning. Registered 5.2 on the richter scale, for those who don't know we're on the New Madrid fault line along with Memphis and it's the 2nd one that I know and it was felt as far north as Wisconsin to as far south as Georgia. The epicenter was 5 miles from Mt. Carmel, Illinois which is on the Illinois/Indiana state line. Now this is a red flag because we're due for a big earthquake here in the midwestern United States. :shock:
Old 04-18-2008, 08:44 PM

You live much closer than we do, Double L; but we also felt the quake in southwest Michigan. Today's quake involved the Wabash Valley Fault, an extension of the New Madrid Fault. Another term to look up is "Caborn Fault".

http://www.earthinstitute.columbia.e...y05-02-03.html
Old 06-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Rookie

So I'm just a few days shy of being exactly a month after the last post. Woops.

Anyway, I live up by Chicago (closer to O'Hare airport at that, I294 @ US14) and rumor around here is the higher up you were the shakier it got. I was asleep on the 2nd floor of a townhouse probably about 20' from the ground and it woke me up. Keep in mind I do live about 60 yards from a rather busy Union Pacific line that usually doesn't wake me at night. Combined with all the weird weather we've been having around here this year it's really weird, no?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:11 AM
Senior Board Member

I should have read this sooner! Yeah that seems about right the higher you are the shakier it is. The reason behind that is there isn't no I guess you say foundation as you go up. Think of the game janga where the top is always swaying with no support and wants to collaspes at anytime.