User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

maggie...I grew up in dallas and although I dont live there anymore, I still spend a lot of time there. If you have any questions about fun things to do and cool places to hang out, feel free to ask me anytime before august.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieb
The GATS website is : http://www.gatsonline.com/ <<< for anyone else who wants to check it out! ..... I really can't wait to go! My best friend is going with me so its gaurenteed that we will have a good time!!! I already ordered my pass.... but some people were wondering if there was a cost to attend the actualy show, I couldnt really say... I've never gone before! We didnt have to pay anything when we went to MATS in Louisville, but Im still new to all of this trucking business so I don't know! Maybe one of ya'll can help me! (FOZZY???) [/url]
once you get pre-registered and have your tickets and name tags, you get to bypass all the big lines and just go to the doors and get checked in. Parking is pretty expensive for a car, but it is an all day thing, so its tolerable. Truck parking is free of course. The food and beverages there are pretty pricey. We usually pack the picnic basket and just take break and go to the car for something to eat. It's a pet peeve for me and I've already caught hell on the topic, but they do sell alcohol there. To me it's just not really something that should be offered in this venue. The floor of the convention center is broken up into three parts, showtrucks, the vendors and then recruiter row. Bring a backpack or maybe even a wagon for all the stuff that they hand out!!!! if you just keep collecting, one arm will end up longer than the other! Lots of raffles and giveaways. one vendor had a free Ice cream social (who doesnt like free icecream) and gave a free T shirt and hat to CDL holders. LOTS of information to be had there! wear comfortable walking / standing shoes!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:27 PM

ooooh wow... that has me sooooo excited!! lol how far away is the show from the hotels? we were planning on walking!! hmmmm... alcohol at a truck show? haha thats funny. Do a lot of people stick around and party afterwards?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
ooooh wow... that has me sooooo excited!! lol how far away is the show from the hotels? we were planning on walking!! hmmmm... alcohol at a truck show? haha thats funny. Do a lot of people stick around and party afterwards?
There are several high dollar hotels near the show. They do give some sort of a special rate for the show, but check through the website, We live 100 miles away and have only stayed in the hotel once when the company we are with paid for it! :wink:
Old 04-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Board Icon

Depending on what part of Dallas this show is in, you might not want to walk around. :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-17-2007, 11:57 PM

Ya I wouldn't suggest walking around downtown after dark. The show is held at the convention center and there isn't a whole lot to do real close by if I remember correctly.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Senior Board Member

The bars and clubs down in deep ellum arent too far from the convention center. A very cheap taxi ride from any of the downtown hotels.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:00 PM

wow... this is getting more exciting day by day... I can't wait!!! So is Dallas really not a good place to be walking around at night? lol... Thats kind of scary!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
So is Dallas really not a good place to be walking around at night? lol... Thats kind of scary!
I wouldn't advise it. :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Quote:
So is Dallas really not a good place to be walking around at night? lol... Thats kind of scary!
I wouldn't advise it. :P
Depends on the area.....Im from dallas, born and raised there so I dont feel uncomfortable at all walking in dallas in most areas. Reality, downtown isnt that bad, I wouldnt feel scared walking around at night downtown. However, Two ladies probably shouldnt walk around any downtown of any city at night.
The club district Deep Ellum is pretty much downtown and that is a very safe area to walk around. Right by the convention center downtown is city haul, which is where most of the homeless bums hang out. Therefore, I wouldnt walk at night around the convention center.

Now, where you want to hang out would depend on what kind of bar or music you like. Deep ellum is more of the alternative dance/rock/blues/live music bars and clubs.
If you like Country, then you have Gillys which is kind of the touristy country bar. Not to far from downtown there is a country bar called Red river. Huge and a pretty cool place.
If you want the exclusive "pretty people" hang out. There is a bar called Ghostbar. Really cool place with a lot of celebrities hanging out there. However, its one of those bars with the snooty door man turing people away that dont "fit in" In other words. Two single ladies who look good would have no problem getting past the doorman. The only way a man is going to get in there is if he looks like he is rich or he looks like he is a model.
Im guessing because of the location of GATS and the steriotype that a lot of drivers like country, most of the GATS attendees would be hanging out at Gillys.