Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   Xm vs Sirius Satellite Radios (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/4748-xm-vs-sirius-satellite-radios.html)

RollinUSA 09-30-2004 06:17 AM

Xm vs Sirius Satellite Radios

I was wondering what everyone thought about these two different satellite radio brands. Both looked pretty good, so the other day I ordered the Sirius version, and it seems to be working out wonderfully! I love the no commercials, and not losing my stations as I travel. Any other opinions on these types of radios?

[Fe]fox 10-10-2004 06:19 AM

I tried both and liked the sirius the best. the XM seemed too, "Clean" for my taste, I like to listen to the comedy channels allot and found XM (BEEPING) out most of the acts.

I got the impression XM was more family based, and Sirius had a wider range of content as it wasnt cleaned up or censored for younger listeners...

Also I think Sirius has 3 satellites and XM only has one, I never did try XM in the Canadian rockies but Sirius has perfect coverage..

btinc 10-15-2004 04:20 AM

I could not decide so i got both.

R.C. 10-15-2004 06:28 AM

Sirius
:wink:

ben45750 07-02-2007 12:40 AM

ipod 8)

Fredog 07-02-2007 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Fe
fox]I tried both and liked the sirius the best. the XM seemed too, "Clean" for my taste, I like to listen to the comedy channels allot and found XM (BEEPING) out most of the acts.

I got the impression XM was more family based, and Sirius had a wider range of content as it wasnt cleaned up or censored for younger listeners...

Also I think Sirius has 3 satellites and XM only has one, I never did try XM in the Canadian rockies but Sirius has perfect coverage..

stern had the inventor of satellite radio on his show, the guy ( now a woman) is a weirdo, but a genius. he figured out that by having 3 satellites in a figure 8 pattern, you could have coverage just about anywhere with just a small antenna

nickbtubas 07-02-2007 02:44 AM

sirius has no commercials on their music channels where xm does have commercials on some of the music channels...

I believe sirius has a better lineup of channels.

Nick

cclarke1268 07-02-2007 03:20 PM

I have sirius now and like it better than xm which I used to have, but I liked the truckin channel on xm better. And for the hand wondering about xm working in Canada mine did, dont know about sirius cause I dont run Canada anymore so I cant tell ya.

Fredog 07-02-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cclarke1268
I have sirius now and like it better than xm which I used to have, but I liked the truckin channel on xm better. And for the hand wondering about xm working in Canada mine did, dont know about sirius cause I dont run Canada anymore so I cant tell ya.

Bubba interviewed rick from the ice road truckers show and he said Sirius works perfectly up there

cclarke1268 07-02-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

Bubba interviewed rick from the ice road truckers show and he said Sirius works perfectly up there

That would be great for the ice road I watched the first episode at the house could't imagine truckin with no radio, and my singin... well my dog howls if I don't stop.

Fredog 07-02-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That would be great for the ice road I watched the first episode at the house could't imagine truckin with no radio, and my singin... well my dog howls if I don't stop.

the radio interview was way interesting, he told about a lot of stuff they dont cover on the show, maybe they will before its over. like he said the speed limit is 20 mph, the big lake takes 4 hours to cross, he said sometimes he watches a movie while he is crossing it, he said sometimes he even J**s off while driving :oops: the big guy polar bear owns 4 of the trucks. seems like the show left a lot of that out. maybe they are just telling it a little at a time

Drew10 07-02-2007 04:44 PM

The poll is really to much a personnel choice, it really isnt a question of which is better.

Before I got my satillite radio I was determined that It wouldnt be Sirius, only because Howard Stern is on it. (IMO, he is a total waste)...but that is only my opinion.

When the time arrived that I was going for satillite, I was looking over the program lineup for XM and wasnt much of interest. I looked over the lineup for Sirius, and except for Stern, I liked its lineup better.

Discarding the music channels, because they are almost the same. I was looking at the news/talk/entertainment/comedy, and I was more impressed with Sirius.

I found out that around the end of the year, they will merge anyway.

I rarely loose the signal with my Sirius, and I only use the mouse antenna supplied with the unit. ( I have it velcroed to my skylight cover on the condo, facing up, of course, trough the skylight, it works really good up there.

Also dont use the FM transmitter to recieve the audio, (to much noise and had to change FM stations all the time as I was driving. Get a cassette adaptor or CD input cable to patch the audio throught the trucks radio.

The poll question should be which service do you subscribe to? But that still will not help you choose.

Look at the program lineup for both. Choose the one you like best.

BTW...Satillite radio, best think invented after the wheel. Ive had mine for almost 4months...It is always on....passes the driving time...and I cant figure how I managed to drive truck for 5 yrs and not have a satillite radio.

Fredog 07-02-2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew10
The poll is really to much a personnel choice, it really isnt a question of which is better.

Before I got my satillite radio I was determined that It wouldnt be Sirius, only because Howard Stern is on it. (IMO, he is a total waste)...but that is only my opinion.

When the time arrived that I was going for satillite, I was looking over the program lineup for XM and wasnt much of interest. I looked over the lineup for Sirius, and except for Stern, I liked its lineup better.

Discarding the music channels, because they are almost the same. I was looking at the news/talk/entertainment/comedy, and I was more impressed with Sirius.

I rarely loose the signal with my Sirius, and I only use the mouse antenna supplied with the unit. ( I have it velcroed to my skylight cover on the condo, facing up, of course, trough the skylight, it works really good up there.

Also dont use the FM transmitter to recieve the audio, (to much noise and had to change FM stations all the time as I was driving. Get a cassette adaptor or CD input cable to patch the audio throught the trucks radio.

The poll question should be which service do you subscribe to? But that still will not help you choose.

BTW...Satillite radio, best think invented after the wheel. Ive had mine for almost 4months...It is always on....passes the driving time...and I cant figure how I managed to drive truck for 5 yrs and not have a satillite radio.

no matter what you listen to, or what you like or dont like, you just cant beat satellite radio. it looks like the merger wont go through, regular radio is paying off too many senators. its a shame because one of them will probably end up going out of business.

cclarke1268 07-02-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the radio interview was way interesting, he told about a lot of stuff they dont cover on the show, maybe they will before its over. like he said the speed limit is 20 mph, the big lake takes 4 hours to cross, he said sometimes he watches a movie while he is crossing it, he said sometimes he even J**s off while driving :oops: the big guy polar bear owns 4 of the trucks. seems like the show left a lot of that out. maybe they are just telling it a little at a time

If they would have put that scene in there I wouldn't have seen the show!!! I don't get cinemax at my house :lol: :lol: Then id have to tell the wife I dont do that goin down the road. ( I wait till im parked) :lol: :lol:

Fredog 07-02-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If they would have put that scene in there I wouldn't have seen the show!!! I don't get cinemax at my house :lol: :lol: Then id have to tell the wife I dont do that goin down the road. ( I wait till im parked) :lol: :lol:

I kind of doubt if they will mention that on the show, but it was pretty funny when he said it. Bubba said.... YOU DO THAT WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING?? He said, hey you do what you can to stay awake.. :lol:

cclarke1268 07-02-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew10

You are right, Ijust purchased sirius 4 months ago because of the nascar
and the football, but they are to me about the same i had xm first, still beats ol am fm also i have a relay that plugs in ant behind radio then ant plugs into it then to sat receiver so if sat radio is on no bleed over from strong fm channels cost about $29. I have cd player now used to use cass adapter I like this much better

ben45750 07-02-2007 08:25 PM

Quote:

the big guy polar bear owns 4 of the trucks. seems like the show left a lot of that out. maybe they are just telling it a little at a time

Last nights show he (polar bear) was talking about his drivers and how worthless they were. He was also showing how he lifts weights whiles he's driving.

Do you know which one rick is? the one on bubba's show? I don't remember which one is which?

Fredog 07-02-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben45750
Quote:

the big guy polar bear owns 4 of the trucks. seems like the show left a lot of that out. maybe they are just telling it a little at a time

Last nights show he (polar bear) was talking about his drivers and how worthless they were. He was also showing how he lifts weights whiles he's driving.

Do you know which one rick is? the one on bubba's show? I don't remember which one is which?

Rick is the guy who drives the purple and white freightliner, the one whose air bags wouldnt inflate. polar bear owns that truck too

ben45750 07-02-2007 11:36 PM

ok. Then that TJ (younger guy) drives for him to?

Fredog 07-03-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben45750
ok. Then that TJ (younger guy) drives for him to?

they never really said who T J drives for