Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   I hate health insurance... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/44656-i-hate-health-insurance.html)

Malaki86 04-13-2014 02:51 PM

I hate health insurance...

My company, WS Thomas, was bought by Online Transport last July. Up until April 1st of this year, we had our own company insurance plan at the cost of $38 per week for myself and my wife. Well, the new plan we have is the one offered by Online Transport. The cost raised for $38 per week to $162 per week. Not only that, but there are ZERO covered health providers within a 75 mile range of my home. No doctors, no hospitals, no urgent care centers, no pharmacies - NONE.

Isn't it just wonderful being forced to pay for something that you CAN'T use?

freebirdrfd 04-13-2014 02:57 PM

How are you being forced to buy it?? Can't you buy state sponsored health insurance?

Malaki86 04-13-2014 03:31 PM

If the insurance is offered by an employer, you have to take it.

GMAN 04-13-2014 03:35 PM

It may not be the company, but obamacare that is to blame. I have spoken to a number of people who have seen premiums rise significantly, while deductibles and coverage has gone down since the forced implementation of obamacare. My nephew saw his insurance premiums go from $600-1,400/month for a family of four. I assume you can still find your own insurance rather than participating in the one offered by your company. This is a real mess with obamacare. I am very sorry to hear about the huge increase in premiums.

repete 04-13-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 530153)

Are you sure about that? I believe I remember hearing about some one that got thier own plan at less cost. That might have been PO (pre -obamacare)

freebirdrfd 04-13-2014 07:24 PM

I believe that you just need medical care. I don't think they can tell you what to pay, or where to get it.

chris1 04-13-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 530153)

If they had not delayed the employer mandate then it can't be more than 9.5% of income that the employee pays. You're stuck with employer insurance unless you qualify for premium assistance. But you can still opt-out of employer plans and get your own until the mandate goes into effect.

Your old employer must have paid a large portion of the premium. Don't expect it to get any cheaper though.

Malaki86 04-14-2014 08:58 AM

The cost is one thing, but the fact that there are ZERO covered health providers of ANY kind around my home is the main reason for this post. Yes, I live in WV, but we still have doctors, clinics and hospitals. I live in northern WV, between Morgantown and Clarksburg. There are doctors EVERYWHERE near me. I just can't go to ANY of them.