Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   I-95 Toll At NC/VA Border (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/39918-i-95-toll-nc-va-border.html)

Hawkjr 05-11-2010 04:06 AM

I-95 Toll At NC/VA Border

McDonnell wants to charge toll at N.C. line on I-95 | Richmond Times-Dispatch

This F-ing Governor is something special.. one min you applaud him and then the next min you want to punch him in the face!! Damn Republicans!!

Mr. Ford95 05-11-2010 09:41 AM

It wouldn't bother me if he did it on 95 only since I never go to NC and back on 95. I usually run 85, the 17 Bypass or 29. Don't forget they also want to put tolls out on 81 at some point. Your right though, everyone was happy with the rest area's being opened back up now they hear the word "toll" and they want to deck him.

Hawkjr 05-11-2010 11:27 AM

They said the would toll to section from the NC/VA Border to Fredricksburg....i dont know if a toll would be put in Fredricksburg but i thats what i heard on the news and in my local vehicle i can careless, cause i can cut through VA-40 or VA-35 U.S. 258 i mean personally not much but if was to get my own rig, i would love to run frieght in and out of NC and paying $2 a axle to cross into the border?? not cool!!

Windwalker 05-11-2010 12:08 PM

And, PA wanted to put a toll on I-80, but I understood it didn't go through, because you are not allowed to put a toll on existing hiways.
In VA, it is also my understanding that they can not put a toll on I-81 for the same reason. How do they expect to put a toll on I-85 and I-95?

Mr. Ford95 05-11-2010 09:03 PM

Apparently the Feds had already approved the tolls on 81 but since the expansion of 81 has been put on permanent hold the tolls will wait. At least that is what I read in my local paper about this. Same paper never said how far north they would come, only that they would be at the border and only on 95. They said the money raised for those tolls at the border would be spent on I-95 repairs between Fredericksburg and the NC border.

Fredericksburg.com - McDonnell asks feds to approve I-95 tolls

Quote:

Gov. Bob McDonnell has filed an application with the Federal Highway Administration to install toll booths on Interstate 95 northbound and southbound at the Virginia/North Carolina border.
Quote:

All money raised would be spent on I-95 improvements between the North Carolina border and the Massaponax exit in Spotsylvania County, said Stacey Johnson, McDonnell spokeswoman. The money would be spent first on safety improvements, then on pavement repair.
Quote:

The tolling requested by Virginia is being sought under the provisional acceptance of tolls along Interstate 81. The shift in authority to I-95 is being sought because the I-81 project has been delayed.
Remember, if it does happen it will be 2012 before those tolls go operational.

Windwalker 05-11-2010 11:32 PM

And, look at all the hiways out west that have no tolls on them.
The bridges that have no tolls on them.

I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to put up with that.

danske 05-13-2010 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 480754)
And, look at all the hiways out west that have no tolls on them.
The bridges that have no tolls on them.

The San Francisco Bay Area bridges all have tolls. Thou they are much lower than the tolls in NYC.

There are several toll roads in the LA area and Seattle started tolling on their "HOT" lanes.

Mr. Ford95 05-13-2010 09:57 AM

That's something else, from Fredericksburg to just South of the scales up by Dale City VDOT is putting in HOT lanes which will have tolls on it. Have no idea when that project will start but they said something like 8+ years to finish it. Basically they are putting in Car Pool lanes in the median of 95 but anyone can use it if they pay the HOT lane fee whereas if you have the proper amount of people it's free of charge.

Windwalker 05-13-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danske (Post 480793)
The San Francisco Bay Area bridges all have tolls. Thou they are much lower than the tolls in NYC.

There are several toll roads in the LA area and Seattle started tolling on their "HOT" lanes.

Show me one toll across the Mississippi River. And, look at the length of the bridges. (There may be one, but how much use does it get)

GMAN 05-15-2010 01:21 PM

If politicians would stop stealing highway funds and using them for other things they would not need to have tolls. Most roads in the Southern states are in better shape than those where there are tolls. Our fuel taxes are lower and we have no tolls, for the most part, and our roads are in better shape. What does that tell you? When you look at states such as Pennsylvania and others who want to add or raise tolls you will find that they have been using fuel tax funds for other projects other than road repairs and maintenance. I was in New Jersey talking to a guy about tolls. I told him that if they would put these politicians in prison for misappropriating taxes that it would stop some of the corruption. He didn't appreciate what I said. I think that he might have been a politician. :lol: