Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   Dallas/Fort Worth Area (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/39890-dallas-fort-worth-area.html)

flatbedder 05-04-2010 08:08 PM

Dallas/Fort Worth Area

Im making my first trip into the Dallas Ft. Worth area later this wk and looking at my atlas it seems that there are an awful lot of bridges marked 13 6 all over the area, even on the interstates. Can somebody that has knowledge of the area tell me about the area? It seems like any route you would want to take has a 13 6 bridge somewhere on it!! LOL. Lets have your wisdom!

golfhobo 05-04-2010 08:31 PM

Well.... your LOGIN implies that you pull a skateboard. So, um... why does it matter? :lol2:

Seriously, I've pulled vans all through most of DFW, and never had a problem. My "understanding" is that bridges are usually measured with a 3 inch "tolerance." Meaning most bridges marked 13/6 are usually 13/9 and you'll fit under it if your "load" is within the 13/6 specs.

But, I could be wrong. I think I GOT that pearl of wisdom off of THIS site! :lol2:

I'd be more concerned with HOW you'll GET there. Hope you ain't going thru Nashville! :hellno:

Roadhog 05-04-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfhobo (Post 480279)
Well.... your LOGIN implies that you pull a skateboard. So, um... why does it matter?

If he's using that 387, those are tall sleepers. 13'5" to 13'6"

flatbedder 05-04-2010 10:48 PM

Haha, I used to pull a skateboard just never changed the name. Been there done the Nashville thing yesterday

GMAN 05-04-2010 11:57 PM

I have pulled all types of trailers around the metroplex and never had a problem with being too high with a legal load.

Midnight Flyer 05-05-2010 12:37 AM

I"ve driven all around the metroplex too. All I can say is try NOT to get caught in the rush hour traffic. It'll make a preacher cuss!

GMAN 05-05-2010 02:32 AM

You are right about rush hour traffic around the metroplex. I would try to schedule around rush hour traffic. As long as you keep an eye on the over pass signs and don't go under anything that is lower than 13' 6" you should not have any problems. I don't recall any around the metroplex that are lower than 13' 6". You will find that most areas in the west have higher bridges and over passes than those found in the east.

Jackrabbit379 05-05-2010 06:26 PM

You shouldn't have any trouble getting around the Metromess. Unless, you are 16' tall. :p
The only worry you should have is the traffic. :p :D You might want to drive through there in the middle of the night. Believe it or not, that place actually sleeps at some point.
If you happen to drive through there in the morning, you might want to paint a number on your door, and put on a helmet. :D :thumbsup:

flatbedder 05-06-2010 12:54 AM

Thank You for all the replys. Sometimes I think they put that stuff in the atlas just to drive us crazy!!

ronjon619 05-06-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbedder (Post 480364)
Thank You for all the replys. Sometimes I think they put that stuff in the atlas just to drive us crazy!!

i run around there at 14. There are a few places. I-35w between the loop and downtown Ft. Worth has a bunch of 13-7 to 13-11's. I use the loop to get around on that side of town. US 287 NB has a 13-10 or 13-11 right before you hit the I-30.

A side note. AUSTIN has a 13-10 bridge downtown neat the UT sports complex. You can just exit the 35 and stay in your lane and jump back on. That will take you right past the bridge. Also stay on the top levels as the lower levels of 35 in Austin has some sub 14 stuff.