Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   What's the difference between DUI and OWUI? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/37689-whats-difference-between-dui-owui.html)

mike3fan 04-19-2009 10:19 PM

What's the difference between DUI and OWUI?

someone I know, a driver, got pulled over for a non working headlight in his personal vehicle and was arrested for OWUI. What's the difference between that and a DUI and what are the chances of beating something like that?

Mr. Ford95 04-19-2009 10:47 PM

Looks like it's a Michigan thing............lot of states use a D(driving) while Michigan uses an O(operating.) They are the same thing just a difference in terms being used. As far as beating it, get a lawyer and then hope for the best in court.

Creek Jackson 04-19-2009 11:45 PM

"Operating While Under the Influence",,, Isn't that what they can charge surgeons with if they go to work drunk?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I crack myself up!!:lol:

belpre122 04-20-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan (Post 447132)
someone I know, a driver, got pulled over for a non working headlight in his personal vehicle and was arrested for OWUI. What's the difference between that and a DUI and what are the chances of beating something like that?

OMVI/DUI/DWI/OWUI/OWI.............. they're all the same. Just different wording from various states/jurisdictions.

That's why most trucking company applications will ask if you have ever failed an alcohol test.......instead of asking you if you have ever had am OMVI/DUI/DWI/OWUI/OWI..... That way the ambiguity of these acronyms is not a factor in your honest answer.

Ex. "I got a OWUI, not a DUI." Make sense?;)

belpre122 04-20-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creek Jackson (Post 447140)
"Operating While Under the Influence",,, Isn't that what they can charge surgeons with if they go to work drunk?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I crack myself up!!:lol:

You're a real card Creek!:clap:

Golfhobo is a shining example of a "TUI" (you can figure that one out:thumbsup:)

mike3fan 04-20-2009 02:13 AM

totally useless information?

sorry GH j/k

I got it anyhow typing und...........

GMAN 04-20-2009 02:38 AM

At one time my home state had DUI and DWI. I don't recall the difference. I read not long ago that they have gotten rid of the DWI designation. I don't see a difference between the two. Driving under the influence seems the same to me as driving while intoxicated.

golfhobo 04-20-2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan (Post 447166)
totally useless information?

sorry GH j/k

I got it anyhow typing und...........

You just made my "list" Mike! :lol2:

Hobo's enemies list:

1) Matcat

2) Mike3fan

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Actually, I think it stands for TEXTING under the influence! Personally, I"ve gone beyond that.... and am now accused of SEXTING under the influence! :lol2::lol2:

Who KNEW it was illegal to be NAKED in your sleeper??? :eek1::lol2::thumbsdown:

mommee 04-20-2009 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfhobo (Post 447172)
Who KNEW it was illegal to be NAKED in your sleeper??? :eek1::lol2::thumbsdown:

now i need therapy. :eek1: ;)

dobry4u 04-20-2009 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 447171)
At one time my home state had DUI and DWI. I don't recall the difference. I read not long ago that they have gotten rid of the DWI designation. I don't see a difference between the two. Driving under the influence seems the same to me as driving while intoxicated.

The difference between a DUI (Driving will Under the Influence) and DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) is that DUI is a less blood alcohol content than DWI with both being over the tolerable limit. In other words, DWI is a more severe offense.

I believe Mike's example DUI and OWUI are indeed the same offense.