Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   Been 8 years (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/34998-been-8-years.html)

StaceyR 08-13-2008 12:14 AM

Been 8 years

It was 8 years ago I got my Class A. I am wanting to go to Swift. PLease no Swift bashing. I've heard it all. At this time I think they are my best choice for different reasons. They are saying I can come take a road test and then go with a mentor instead of going back to school. I was pretty confident in my driving ability then. How likely is it I would still be able to drive for a road test?

Orangetxguy 08-13-2008 02:44 AM

Re: Been 8 years

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaceyR
It was 8 years ago I got my Class A. I am wanting to go to Swift. PLease no Swift bashing. I've heard it all. At this time I think they are my best choice for different reasons. They are saying I can come take a road test and then go with a mentor instead of going back to school. I was pretty confident in my driving ability then. How likely is it I would still be able to drive for a road test?

Why do you want to start driving, eight years after getting your CDL??

Jumbo 08-13-2008 03:26 AM

Not bashing or anything but why do you want to go to Swift? Any particular reason?

jiptwoo 08-13-2008 08:37 PM

Because swift will hire him after 8 yrs and no experience and no one else will. I may sound totally negative, but after 8 years and no experience, if you pass the road test I'll be darned.

BigDiesel 08-13-2008 08:45 PM

The Swifty road tests must not be very difficult..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always enjoy the Swifty rodeos at the truck stops........ :lol: :lol:

StaceyR 08-13-2008 09:46 PM

The reason I want to go to swift is because thay have lots of oppurtunities for being home more. The reason I want to start driving is because it beats being jobless(not yet but might be soon). They told me "If you can pass the road test we will put you straight out with a mentor". If not I would have to go through school again.

Dejanh 08-16-2008 02:12 AM

Quote:

The reason I want to go to swift is because thay have lots of oppurtunities for being home more. The reason I want to start driving is because it beats being jobless(not yet but might be soon). They told me "If you can pass the road test we will put you straight out with a mentor". If not I would have to go through school again.

Everything sounds nice BUT, dont you believe them when they tell you will be home more, that is old trick in the book.

Just be carefull and good luck.

StaceyR 08-16-2008 02:23 PM

I know that trick and if they wouldn't get me home I would move on to "greener" pastures. Not that the grass is ever green anywhere in the BIG companies. :D Honestly I would like to go back to schneider even though my DM kinda did me wrong(had to go home for surgery from another job accident and DM told me I had to come back to work next day or quit). I did enjoy working there for the few weeks I did. I haven't tried to go back but I'm sure they put me on some sort of no-hire list.

Syncrosonix 08-16-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejanh
Quote:

Everything sounds nice BUT, dont you believe them when they tell you will be home more, that is old trick in the book.

Just be carefull and good luck.

funny thing is i get home when i need/want to. sometimes they'll get me home a day or two early, and i'll be able to take those days plus the days i requested without having the truck reassigned.

turnleft 08-17-2008 03:37 AM

I think the only way to fail a Swift roadtest is to have an accident of some sort. I went with Swift after being out of school 3 years and was grinding gears and all but passed. Some helpful advice, if your serious after the road test, paperwork, physical, on your last day of orientation hound them to go that day because they will ask who is ready to go now. I was ready to go the last day of orientation but they coudn't find me a mentor so i went home for 2 days then met my mentor in the next town.