Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   driving through the mountains? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/30332-driving-through-mountains.html)

ericmrtt 10-22-2007 12:19 AM

driving through the mountains?

Besides the curves and slopes. Wind and wintry conditions. Are all bad enough. Do you also get headaches and shortness of breathe outh there?

VitoCorleone99 10-22-2007 12:36 AM

No.

Skywalker 10-22-2007 12:38 AM

Re: driving through the mountains?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericmrtt
Besides the curves and slopes. Wind and wintry conditions. Are all bad enough. Do you also get headaches and shortness of breathe outh there?

I can't say I've really had a problem with that...and I live at sea level.

The only time its really been a problem....was when I spent the night at the mine up above Silverthorne, CO. Its above 10,000 feet. Got a little bit of an altitude headache.

nrvsreck 10-22-2007 01:42 AM

I've had problems with my toothpaste spewing all over the place with the altitude changes. Besides that, not too much to worry about.

WildK9 10-22-2007 07:26 PM

Sometimes, I get shortness of breathe due to some magnificent views, but other than that I do fine. :wink: :P

tootie04 10-22-2007 07:43 PM

I get headaches too sometimes.

I have learned to keep any liquid stuff in my bath bag in zip-lock bags because if can and will spew all over at the worst possible time!! :evil:

tootie

Jackrabbit379 10-22-2007 07:54 PM

Sometimes, driving through the Caprock in west Texas, my ears pop. :P

Rev.Vassago 10-22-2007 10:14 PM

The only place I've ever had a problem is when sleeping up on Vail pass in the rest area. Makes for some interesting dreams, though.

Sizzle 10-25-2007 05:00 AM

Driving Out West

Since I live in Colorado I'd have to say that there isn't much problem with the altitude other than what another driver mentioned regarding putting things in ziploc bags. It will make things spill open at certain elevations.

For the most part, I'd say driving out west is a lot more "reasonable than driving with a zillion 4 wheelers in the east." I realize I'm partial to the west. But don't assume that I've been here all my life. I've lived in 12 states and in each part of the country other than the north west. So I'm not a Native Coloradoan! I know what I like and don't for climate etc...

The problem you'll face out west in the winter is the lovely chain season. Most people park and wait for the passes to open. Although, that didn't work for me last year. I was on the top of Donner after sitting 6 hours as it snowed to beat the band. I was told by CHP in no uncertain terms that I would chain.

They've already had to chain over Vail this year. One of my friends who drives strictly between Denver and L.A. told me that if you hit Vail and Eisenhower between noon and 2 you usually won't have to chain. It's worked for me but I'm sure sometime along it will be snowing and it won't work well... UM...

Good luck and enjoy yourself while driving out here. Remember it 's best to hit the passes in daylight when it's not snowing. Otherwise, you'll stand a good chance of having to chain.

One day this past spring, north of Weed, CA, there must have been 200+ trucks going over the passes on I-5. It looked like a train there were so many trucks. It had been shut down all night. That was interesting to see all those trucks at one time heading over the pass. :) 8) :roll:

PackRatTDI 10-25-2007 06:59 PM

My dad was born in Leadville, CO and the few times we visited, it made me wheezy and light headed.