Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   CB question (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/29485-cb-question.html)

Jimbpard 09-06-2007 08:00 PM

CB question

I'm switching jobs, and the new truck that I'll be driving doesnt have a cb already in at (as my current one did), so I'm going to have to buy one. I'd like to spend no more than $150.00, so can someone give me a good suggestion on the best one for that price?

I use a Cobra 25 now, and it seems pretty decent although bare bones...It does seem to have decent range...About 5 miles or so it seems.
One thing I dont like is all the noise. Sometimes I have to adjust the squelch constantly. I think I read something before about "auto noise cancelling". Is this basically the "new squelch" or what? Do you still have to use squelch with this feature or no?
Also, how important is an antenna? Is it necessary to spend big $$ on a fancy antenna or will a cheap one work just as good?
Thanks in advance for the info.

Sealord 09-06-2007 08:46 PM

CB Answer

You'd be better off with an inexpensive radio and an excellent antenna than the other way around, you're only working with 4 watts out max. I'd also try to get a radidio with the weather bands on it if the broadcast radio in the truck doesn't have them. BOL

Jackrabbit379 09-07-2007 09:22 PM

I agree with Sealord, you dont need a high dollar radio. I would get a Cobra29. They are good radios, but not that bad of a price at the right place.

Double R 09-07-2007 09:36 PM

JIMBPARD, Try this place:
Sterio Center & Cb Shop

2339 Memorial Blvd
Connellsville, PA 15425

(724) 628-6700
They have a nice selection and decent prices.

inmate1577 09-07-2007 09:45 PM

Something from a pawn shop.
Remember just because you spend alot of money on a CB doesnt mean you are going to meet anyone of quality.

Double R 09-08-2007 12:12 AM

This place IS NOT A PAWN SHOP! They are a car electronics store!
Sterio Center & Cb Shop

2339 Memorial Blvd
Connellsville, PA 15425

(724) 628-6700

Jackrabbit379 09-08-2007 04:07 AM

Sometimes, you can actually find some good radios at pawn shops. Some of the pawn shop folks arent aware of the bells, and whistles that some radios have.

Triple Digit Bob 09-08-2007 07:27 AM

Cobra29 no good. I cannot hear where police are very good. I need VERY good and loud cb that can tranzlate hungary for finding police so don't get ticket. Where can I find this kind of cb? :?

GMAN 09-08-2007 12:19 PM

If you just want a basic radio, the Cobra 19 is a good choice. They are inexpensive and will do the job. I had one for many years. The Cobra 25 and 29 are also good radios and can usually be purchased from less than $100 to about $120 or so, depending on the bells and whistles. Uniden has the 78 which is a good radio and has weather channels for about $100. There is no need to spend several hundred dollars on a radio. I would say the most popular radio right now is the Cobra 29. Any of these brands will do a good job for you. And get a decent antenna. You don't have to spend a fortune.

Fredog 09-08-2007 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple Digit Bob
Cobra29 no good. I cannot hear where police are very good. I need VERY good and loud cb that can tranzlate hungary for finding police so don't get ticket. Where can I find this kind of cb? :?

Go to Iraq. go to 42 street, turn right, go 2 blocks, you will see Abdul's cb shop on the right. tell them Haji sent you.