Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   What's so special about Peterbilts? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/26493-whats-so-special-about-peterbilts.html)

TruckerChris 04-24-2007 12:17 PM

What's so special about Peterbilts?

So I'm now driving local we have new(ish) Pete 377's. Everyone talks about how nice a Pete rides compared to others and how nice they are laid out on the inside. For example: Guages, Switches, lights, etc.

I can't stand how I can reach across and touch the passenger side door or how "old" the dash looks or how the steering wheel feels (it's the newer pete wheel). Does everyone like petes because it's a following like when everyone thinks of a Motorcycle, they think of Harleys? So when you think of a truck, you think of Petes? I don't know, I like my Columbia seating, dash, "feel" , and looks way better

Please explain...

Chris

04-24-2007 01:14 PM

Same here when I went from a 379 to my Century class I thought I had died and went to heaven. In my 379 I had no room in the cab even with the seat all the way back the bunk had no storage at all it seemed and it roade like a bucking bronco. My Century rode like a Caddy had more room than I knew what to do with and also I was not cramped in the seat that we all spend 10 hours a day in.

Rev.Vassago 04-24-2007 02:31 PM

A truck is only as good as the person who speced it, no matter what the brand name. Skimp on the spec sheet, and you'll get a lousy ride.

Fozzy 04-24-2007 02:37 PM

I've never been a fan of Peterbilts. I'll take almost any other truck in one's place! Except the "R" model Mack of course... :shock:

Roadhog 04-24-2007 04:41 PM

Same can be said of a model in any make....and there are many to choose from, so it all depends on personal choice.

I am driving a Pete 387, and there are a lot of things I don't like about it. I preferred the 379 over this...but the 379, also had things I didn't like.

The new 389 is much nicer, and has a better layout and more storage. I would love driving the new 389.

I wouldn't trade this Pete 387 for any Freightliner. ....and yes I've driven many of them...so I am qualified to respond like that. I like the Classic XL...and outside of that...only other truck I like is the KW W-900. But right now my dream truck would be the new Pete 389...and the older 379 falls somewhere behind the KW.

Anyway...those narrow cab...low profile rigs are much nicer handling in my opinion. They hug the corners nicer, and feel more solid. You do sacrifice some smoothness in the ride...but I have a cast iron butt...so I am not bothered. I like how they respond in backup traffic too. My 387 rocks like a cradle...and every shift tosses you about. Sure...it is smoother on the big road...but kills you otherwise.
Wanna talk about driving out west...where you always find serious cross winds....? :?....give me a road-hugger any day!

But Kona...I agree with you. For local runs...I'd rather have a nimble little Columbia too. It's dogass ugly though. :lol: Don't bother washing it...nothing will help that much ugly. :P

shyykatt 04-24-2007 05:37 PM

Theyre big n' bad n' pretty :D

Mackman 04-24-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozzy
I've never been a fan of Peterbilts. I'll take almost any other truck in one's place! Except the "R" model Mack of course... :shock:

aint nothing bad about a R model. the rubber duck had one lol :lol:

Fozzy 04-24-2007 07:52 PM

Yeah but the rubber duck must have been a midget!

floored 04-24-2007 08:46 PM

cult following or something.. and hey, "class pays"

:wink:

Personally I like em because they look good (as does the freightliner coronado).

04-24-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shyykatt

So is a FL Classic, the only difference is Petes hold their value. That's what Pete owners love to throw in others faces but what they don't tell you is the price difference in brand new, comparably spec'ed trucks.

Jumbo 04-25-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigy
Quote:

So is a FL Classic, the only difference is Petes hold their value. That's what Pete owners love to throw in others faces but what they don't tell you is the price difference in brand new, comparably spec'ed trucks.

I went on truckpaper. com and compared:

New 07 Pete 379 Ex hood
475 Cat, 13 spd.,3.36 rears, 265" w.b., 70" sleeper, 22.5lp with all alum. wheels. $125350

New 07 Freightliner Classic XL
475 Cat, 13 spd., 3.58 rears, 260" w.b. 70" condo sleeper, 22.5 lp with all alum. wheels. $120,500

I then searched 06 used trucks with comparable miles:

06 Pete Ex hood
475 Cat, 13 spd., 3.36 rears, 270 w.b. 70" sleeper 24.5 lp with all alum. wheels with 190,000 miles. Price $125,000

06 Freightliner Classic XL
475 Cat, 13 spd. 3.58 rears, 260" w.b., 70" sleeper 22.5 lp with all alum. wheels with 166,450 miles. Price $79,900

I tried to keeps specs as close as possible and not use special editions for either comparison. It is interesting though.

Jackrabbit379 04-25-2007 03:43 PM

I've always liked Petes. Ever since I can remember, I always loved seeing those cow trucks, long Petes with all those lights.

I loved the 359s, too. Especially, the flat tops. Corvette dash, wood grain dash, chrome guages, and chrome toggle switches. The only bad thing about them, was the air duct system. Two swivel air vents on top of the dash. :P You could reach to the right, unlock the passenger door. These 9200i Internationals that I drive every night, you have to walk a mile to reach the passenger door. :?

About a quarter mile down the road from our yard is an oil equipment company. They go out, and work in oil fields. They have 2 needle nose Petes. Both of them are sharp as a tack. I dont know what year model they are, but they have the butterfly hoods, and they put straights on both. You can hear every cylinder firing in those old kitty cats. :P

Nothing purtyier than a Peter with a drop down visor, Texas bumber, straights, round headlights, and more lights than you can shake a stick at. :P

allan5oh 04-25-2007 05:14 PM

You can get new columbias for ~85k

marcel27208 04-25-2007 07:58 PM

does anyone here drive a kworth w900, i keep hearing that the fuel mileage is horrible?? im looking to buy new truck as we speak, any info would help, thanks!!!

Mack2 04-25-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcel27208
does anyone here drive a kworth w900, i keep hearing that the fuel mileage is horrible?? im looking to buy new truck as we speak, any info would help, thanks!!!

There is guy around here that has Kw W900s pulling dump trailer and his trucks get about 5.5 to 6mpg.

serbie 04-25-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack2
Quote:

There is guy around here that has Kw W900s pulling dump trailer and his trucks get about 5.5 to 6mpg.

Not sure about his operation but would be willing to bet he runs more local-semi local runs. That and his gross weight is usually alot more then an OTR gig. Lots of stop and go, heavier weight.

Would be better to compare that truck to a gig that resembles what you'll be using it for.

mike3fan 04-25-2007 11:16 PM

Quote:

I just traded in a W9 w/DD60 and 370 rears and I got around 6.4 on average,on my Pete with a C15 475 and 336 rears i get around 5.9

Roadhog 04-25-2007 11:56 PM

Body style may play a role.
A T-600 will provide less wind drag.

Here are some other factors to add into the equation. What you haul...how much weight, and where. Do you run a lot of mountains?...any routes with steep grades? Do you run a lot of City traffic...or rural routes with stop and go?
Do you keep your tractor and Trailer well greased and maintained? Proper tire pressure all around? Clean air filters? Are you tuned and calibrated (CPU chip) for maximum fuel economy? Are your road gears the proper combination for the loads you generally haul? What kind of driver are you? Do you feel you must race to your destination? Do you start out letting the trans do the work...or are you powering up like there is no tomorrow? Do you do a lot of needless idling? Do you close the space between the Tractor and the Trailer whenever you can...or too lazy for that?

Just a few points to consider if you need more fuel economy. Helps with any model you drive.

There are other factors...I am not hitting on...like choice of motor. I hear the Volvo motor gets better economy...etc.

Part Time Dweller 04-26-2007 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
Same here when I went from a 379 to my Century class I thought I had died and went to heaven.

People who live in a trailer park get the same feeling when they move up to a double wide, but eventually they realize they are still living in trailer. :lol:

I drove mostly Petes over the years, plenty of room for how I ran, Mon-Fri, overnighting twice a week. I suppose if one lives in the truck for weeks at a time and brings enough crap to fill a studio apartment the extra room would be nice.

GMAN 04-26-2007 01:10 AM

Quote:

Most owners I talk with do good to get 5 mpg. I looked at a 2005 W900 with a 86" studio, 18 spd., C-15. I don't recall the gears. The guy said it got 4.5 to 5 mpg. :shock:

04-26-2007 03:46 AM

[quote="Jumbo"][quote="Prodigy"]
Quote:

475 Cat, 13 spd., 3.58 rears, 260" w.b. 70" condo sleeper, 22.5 lp with all alum. wheels. $120,500

06 Pete Ex hood
475 Cat, 13 spd., 3.36 rears, 270 w.b. 70" sleeper 24.5 lp with all alum. wheels with 190,000 miles. Price $125,000

475 Cat, 13 spd. 3.58 rears, 260" w.b., 70" sleeper 22.5 lp with all alum. wheels with 166,450 miles. Price $79,900

I tried to keeps specs as close as possible and not use special editions for either comparison. It is interesting though.

Oh boy! I could get a brand new '06 pre-DPF FL classic XL for $87,000 from Crete.

379's suck. Unless you like living in a sardine can.

coastie 04-26-2007 07:53 AM

I drove Frieghtliners mostly. But I did Drive 3 Petes. 2 Conv.and one COE.

Some like Petes some do not. Just as everything else. I liked their looks, and the are well built. But like some said they are crampt in the front part of the cab. One good thing, I did go through one Toll booth wehere it was on the right side and All I had to roll down the right window from my seat.

I've asked Pete Drivers what they liked about them, many said not as rough ride. Of the 3 I drove, all were rough. Last one I felt every little crack in the highway. If I was to buy a truck today would I buy one? If the price was right and would do the job I want it for. Only truck I'll avoid buying is a Volvo.

If I had the choice to make between a pete 379, Freightliner Classic I'll go with the Frieghtliner Classic. Basic same looks and larger space up front. Not worring about the resale value. Plan to keep it for a very long time. BUt plan and actual maybe 2 different things.

Mackman 04-26-2007 08:48 PM

I just ask my oldman why he only buys petes for a dumptruck. His words CUZ ITS A PETERBILT. i asked him for a more detail answer and he said he likes the truck all away around.

GMAN 04-26-2007 10:17 PM

I think most people have a difficult time explaining their fascination with the 379 Peterbilt. Peterbilt has managed to keep the classic look that others have lost along the way. While minor changes may have been made over the years, Paccar has made a fortune out of using the same molds for so many years. I still love the look of the Pete, but they are grossly over rated. If I found an exceptional buy, I might buy another Pete, but it would need to be a very good buy and catch me in the right mood to spend money. I am somewhat thrifty and don't buy anything unless I get a good deal. I also don't buy anything that I don't need. Right now I have trucks and don't need another, but for the right deal I would consider it.

The 379 Peterbilt brings back a lot of memories for me. When I grew up and during my early years trucking, trucks looks more like the classic Pete and there were many were cab overs. I still remember the Autocar with a hood that would go on forever. It seems to me that most of the hoods were run by independents or owner operators. There were a number of so called "outlaw" drivers and/or companies. I think some of the mystique goes back to that time. I think there is still a little bit of the outlaw mentality associated with running a Pete.

Jumbo 04-27-2007 12:52 AM

[quote="Prodigy"][quote="Jumbo"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigy
Quote:

06 Pete Ex hood

Oh boy! I could get a brand new '06 pre-DPF FL classic XL for $87,000 from Crete.

379's suck. Unless you like living in a sardine can.

Your original quote was that pete owners love to throw it in your face how petes hold your value but what they don't tell you is the price difference in comparably equipped trucks. I showed you there was only a $5000.00 price difference and the difference in 1 year resale prices. If I wanted to spec a comparably equipped pete fleet truck I'll bet it wouldn't cost that much more than $87,000. But, in one year with similar miles and in similar conditions which would have better resale value. And isn't that the name of the game, buying a truck that performs and can hold it's value.

Jackrabbit379 04-27-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
I think some of the mystique goes back to that time. I think there is still a little bit of the outlaw mentality associated with running a Pete.

Ahh haa! No wonder those cow haulers run 110 at night. :P

GMAN, who bought Autocar? What ever happen to them? I remember seeing them.

I also remember Marmon. I knew a man that had a Marmon with an air starter. It used to scare the daylights out of me when he cranked his truck.

Let me ask you this GMAN, do you remember Diamond T?

Shawnee 04-27-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

The best I will ever get with my w900 is about 5 mpg, I also have a flat top, which I originally bought for flat bed but I now haul vans so it affects the fuel ecomony

As for the Pete's, I have never been a fan, and I have never been one to jump on the bandwagon for anything just because everyone else thinks it is cool. I have this argument with other drivers all the time and when you ask them why Pete's are the best they can't give one good reason why.

Mack2 04-27-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Quote:

I think some of the mystique goes back to that time. I think there is still a little bit of the outlaw mentality associated with running a Pete.

Ahh haa! No wonder those cow haulers run 110 at night. :P

GMAN, who bought Autocar? What ever happen to them? I remember seeing them.

I also remember Marmon. I knew a man that had a Marmon with an air starter. It used to scare the daylights out of me when he cranked his truck.

Let me ask you this GMAN, do you remember Diamond T?

I think Volvo bought Autocar not sure though. :?

As for Marmon don't have a clue what happend to them.

Jackrabbit379 04-27-2007 03:42 PM

Well, thanks to International, Marmon is no longer around.

Sheepdancer 04-27-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

think Volvo bought Autocar not sure though.

Yes, volvo bought autocar, but then sold it to Grand Vehicle Works, who still produces trucks under the Autocar name....but mostly garbage trucks I believe.

marcel27208 04-27-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Most owners I talk with do good to get 5 mpg. I looked at a 2005 W900 with a 86" studio, 18 spd., C-15. I don't recall the gears. The guy said it got 4.5 to 5 mpg. :shock:

ouch! with my freightliner i get around 6.8-7.4 running 55-68mph,,, you mean i cant get 6.5mpg on w900 w/86" studio? i was looking at an truck w/exact same specs and wondered about the mpg

Overloaded 04-28-2007 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Quote:

Yes, volvo bought autocar, but then sold it to Grand Vehicle Works, who still produces trucks under the Autocar name....but mostly garbage trucks I believe.

Volvo ruined Autocar by mostly just re-badging a Volvo truck and calling it heavy duty. All of you Mack boys had better take notice - you're next.

Teal 95 KW 04-29-2007 02:26 AM

Pulling my HHG trailer, I typically get 5.4-5.8 running 65-70mph with my w900l. 475 Cat, 3.55 rears and 13 speed...72" aerocab..not the most aerodynamic truck out there, but I love it. I don't run a roof fairing, nor do I keep the trailer pulled up close to the truck..I've got a bout a 6' gap between the back of the sleeper and the front of the trailer. I don't hot dog it to speed, I let the truck pull itself up to speed, and I also accelerate up to hills...I'll speed up, so I've got more momentum going to help the truck get to the top.

As far as looks go, I like the KW W900 over any of the other trucks...I'm not biased, as I almost bought a Classic XL before this truck, and I've tossed around the ideas of buying a 379 with a 48" flattop sleeper, with the ISX cummins in it..but can't get over the narrow cab. I think KW has done the best job of keeping the "classic" look around, and they really haven't changed much exterior wise, and look to be keeping the look around for a few more years.

Mackman 04-29-2007 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overloaded
Quote:

Quote:

Volvo ruined Autocar by mostly just re-badging a Volvo truck and calling it heavy duty. All of you Mack boys had better take notice - you're next.

I know MACK is going to go down hill after volvo got there hands on them in 02. MACK went down hill after they stop making the RD. That grantie is a nice truck but it will never replace an r model. Am a MACK fan of 01 and older :lol:

Mack2 04-30-2007 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overloaded
Quote:

Quote:

I know MACK is going to go down hill after volvo got there hands on them in 02. MACK went down hill after they stop making the RD. That grantie is a nice truck but it will never replace an r model. Am a MACK fan of 01 and older :lol:

10-4 on that there is guy that hauls for my dad and has a 2005 Granite and that thing isn't like the old Rd's.