Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   NO ADULT SUPERVISION! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/26203-no-adult-supervision.html)

Rookie McRookerson 04-09-2007 03:25 AM

NO ADULT SUPERVISION!

Well, I'm on the road! I finished training, got a truck issued, and am on my third load. Man, what a scary situation. I am going places I have never been. If I didn't have my GPS, I'd be screwed. Now, I know you are going to tell me not to count on a GPS and to depend on the MC Atlas. But, when the clock is ticking and the load has to get there, its hard to sit down and plan your route and end up explaining why the load was late.

My longest run is the one I'm on now. Picked up a load of interior doors in southern Oregon and am delivering them to Edmonton, Alberta (there now). I'm sitting outside my 1st drop for the morning.

I can hardly believe they issued me my own truck and turned me loose with no adult supervision!!! :oops:

I love the driving. The finding the pickups and deliveries is scaring me some. I keep telling myself, I'm in the same spot all other new drivers experience. Time takes time.

Uturn2001 04-09-2007 05:08 AM

Quote:

But, when the clock is ticking and the load has to get there, its hard to sit down and plan your route and end up explaining why the load was late.
Just remember that when your GPS puts you on a restricted route or on a collision course with a low bridge. :shock: :shock:

Fozzy 04-09-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:

But, when the clock is ticking and the load has to get there, its hard to sit down and plan your route and end up explaining why the load was late.
Just remember that when your GPS puts you on a restricted route or on a collision course with a low bridge. :shock: :shock:

they will also try to place you the wrong way on one way streets!!! My new car has a GPS and its just rather silly sometimes..

glasman2 04-09-2007 11:49 AM

Well at least you had time to "look" at your map during 10 hour breaks, right? I know you told me, but what GPS are you useing again?

Good luck, keep us posted. I like reading newbie post, as I will be falling into that newbie spot very soon.

Snowman7 04-09-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:

Exactly! GPS should be just another aid, combined with your own trip plan, directions from dispatch or other drivers, etc. :lol:

azcardnlz 04-09-2007 02:52 PM

GPS??? What's GPS? I've been driving for 27 years without one. Have I been doing it wrong all this time? :?: :!: :?:

04-09-2007 03:45 PM

if your load is late because you cannot look at your map and plan your trip, then you need to tell dispatch because you are not being giving enough time to deliver. the 5...maybe 10 minutes it takes to read your map and plan a trip should not be making you late to appointments.

Roadhog 04-10-2007 09:07 AM

Re: NO ADULT SUPERVISION!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie McRookerson
Well, I'm on the road!

Thanks for the dayum warning!! :lol: :? :)

emerlin 04-10-2007 10:13 AM

I use my GPS, but I make darn sure of the route with my atlas! I'm waiting to get unloaded, but I have my next trip pre-planned and did my trip plan while I'm sitting. Of course, that's if I get unloaded on time and my pre-plan confirms.