Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   Latest report on Dad (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/25830-latest-report-dad.html)

Midnight Flyer 03-22-2007 11:17 PM

Latest report on Dad

:D It's been a month now since Dad was admitted to the hospital because of the damage the radiation treatment for his lung cancer has caused to his esophagus. His doc says the radiation has more or less cooked his esophagus and he can't eat properly and is having to be fed via IVs and a tube into his stomach. His weight has dropped from 210 down to 165. He's very weak, can't sit upright for very long periods, and can't go to the bathroom normally. He can hardly talk as his voice box is damaged but his mind is still sharp as a tack.

We're going to have to decide early next week whether to put him in a nursing home or bring him home with home health care nurses to help look after him at home. Now putting him into a nursing home doesn't mean we're gonna put him in there and forget about him. We're gonna put him in there for a three week nursing home rehab where physical therapists will work with him to help get his strength back so that he can help himself some when he comes home. His doc says it's doubtful that he can continue with his radiation treatment and even chemo is out of the question mainly because of his age (he's 80). So we're gonna try to make him as comfortable as possible and let him know we love him. The cancer is gonna kill him, it's just a manner of when.

I want to give a big THANK YOU to all my CAD family for your support, prayers and words of encouragement. You guys will never know how much it means when I log on to CAD and see where you're thinking of us. I love each and every one of you guys and just ask that you keep those prayers coming. 8)

vavega 03-22-2007 11:50 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{midnight flyer and family}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

i'm so sorry to hear this news about your dad, i've only been reading sporadically and didn't know how bad off he was. i want you to know tho' that we will be praying for him and the rest of your family. has he given any indication where he wants to go?

Midnight Flyer 03-23-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vavega
{{{{{{{{{{{{midnight flyer and family}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

i'm so sorry to hear this news about your dad, i've only been reading sporadically and didn't know how bad off he was. i want you to know tho' that we will be praying for him and the rest of your family. has he given any indication where he wants to go?

:D Thanks for your prayers! Dad said today he wants to go for the three week nursing home rehab and then go home with home health care. 8)

tdriver1959 03-23-2007 02:58 AM

Thoughts and prayers from this family to you and your family and especialy to your dad.

Douglas 03-23-2007 12:26 PM

Your Dad and the rest of your family are in my prayers, Midnight Flyer. So sorry to hear about this. :sad:

cclarke1268 03-23-2007 02:15 PM

So sorry you are going thru all this. We will certainly keep you and your dad in our daily thoughts and prayers. It is so sad to here this.

Keep us posted!

Sending huge hugs to you and your family!

Kim and CJ

Jackrabbit379 03-23-2007 03:02 PM

Midnight Flyer, sorry to hear about all of this. It is a part of life that we all dread seeing. Thanks for keeping us updated. Our thoughts, and prayers are with you, and the family.

wot i life 03-23-2007 08:15 PM

Only a dad with a tired face,
Coming home from the daily race,
Bringing little of gold or fame
To show how well he has played the game;
But glad in his heart that his own rejoice
To see him come and to hear his voice.

Only a dad with a brood of four,
One of ten million men or more
Plodding along in the daily strife,
Bearing the whips and the scorns of life,
With never a whimper of pain or hate,
For the sake of those who at home await.

Only a dad, neither rich nor proud,
Merely one of the surging crowd,
Toiling, striving from day to day,
Facing whatever may come his way,
Silent whenever the harsh condemn,
And bearing it all for the love of them.

Only a dad but he gives his all,
To smooth the way for his children small,
Doing with courage stern and grim
The deeds that his father did for him.
This is the line that for him I pen:
Only a dad, but the best of men.

...Edgar A. Guest