Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   CB question (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/25436-cb-question.html)

ben45750 03-09-2007 12:23 AM

CB question

I tend to notice things on the road that's others don't pay any attention too. I have noticed now for a while that drivers that have the Wilson antennas (the whip style t2000 and t5000) are slightly bend at the top. Is this just a coincidence and they are bent by hitting tree limbs or other things or is this done on purpose? Dumb question I know, but it has me curious. Also why do drivers have their antennas pointing forward instead of straight up like most factory mounted antennas?

red12 03-09-2007 12:33 AM

they more than ikely was hit by something and bent.

Uturn2001 03-09-2007 12:43 AM

Quote:

Also why do drivers have their antennas pointing forward instead of straight up like most factory mounted antennas?
So when they are rolling the wind makes them stand straight instead of bent backwards. This is for the ones who have them set slightly forward. (Also sometimes because the ant would be over the 13'6 mark).

The ones with a fiberglass whip have no idea and are just trying to look cool.

buckshot150 03-09-2007 03:56 AM

They all do it to look Cool!

Mackman 03-10-2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckshot150
They all do it to look Cool!

Thats why i did it 8) ANd you have to lower your seat and put one arm on the window.

buckshot150 03-10-2007 01:21 AM

10-4!!!

nrvsreck 03-10-2007 12:28 PM

The antenna is bent like that because of hitting trees all the time. I finally broke my metal antenna this week and and replacing it with two Wilson fiberglass whips. Maybe they'll survive a little longer than the steel whip.

Mr. Ford95 03-10-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrvsreck
The antenna is bent like that because of hitting trees all the time. I finally broke my metal antenna this week and and replacing it with two Wilson fiberglass whips. Maybe they'll survive a little longer than the steel whip.

I had a fiberglass, no idea on who's it was, but it got ripped off by a low flying goose. Didn't break up high, broke down at the mounting plate even though the goose wrapped around it up at the top at 60 mph.

Hat Rak 03-10-2007 01:49 PM

Yea, the fiberglass antennas will put more stress on the mount than a whip. They don't flex very well. Makes sense that it broke near the bottom.

Jackrabbit379 03-10-2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrvsreck

That's why I used a 3' antenna when I worked days. Those trees in town kill any tall antenna. Now that I just run back and forth on HWY 82, I have a 5 1/2' Frances Hot Rod. Works great.