User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Cobra's HG S500 External CB Speaker w/Talkback Installation

I'm sure the answer is simple, but since I'm new to both trucking and the use of CBs, I need some help in connecting the talkback external speaker to my Cobra 29 NWSTWX CB radio as it came with no instructions, nor did an internet search help. It has both a black cable with a connector, and a red wire with a connector. Does one go into the external speaker jack and the other go into the PA jack? If so, which one goes where? Thanks.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:26 AM
Senior Board Member

found this at cobra.com

For Operational or Technical Assistance with a Cobra Product or to find the location of the nearest retailer in your area call 1-773-889-3087 or 1-773-889-8870 for Customer Service. You'll find answers to many of your questions in our FAQ's section. Our automated help desk is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Live operators are available Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM CST.

you might try pluggin them wires in one way and if don't work switch them and if nothing still is right call cobra
Old 09-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Board Icon

Your external speaker will plug into the "Ext Speaker" jack on the back of the radio. The external speaker will have a male plug that is the same plug for headphones.

Your power wires for the radio, red goes to red, and black goes to black. Your truck should have the two terminals for radio hook-ups.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 03-26-2017, 05:04 PM
Rookie

That's right it's 10 years later. I found the answer to this question and I will share it. You plug the black wire in the external speaker Jack like normal.

The red mystery wire is actually an antenna and operates on the principle of a bleed-over. Just like when you use a CB too close to another radio, you hear the CB coming over the radio or an old television set. The red wire is to pick up bleed-over and send it back to the speaker. Mount the speaker and then run the red wire through your headliner as close as possible through one antenna or the other. It's best if you can plug that red wire into your PA Jack on the back of your CB, though it is not necessary. If you are using the PA, send that plug as far towards the antenna as you can to help pick up the RF power radiating from your CB and leave it unplugged. The red wire takes your voice back to the speaker where it has a circuit board that amplifies your voice that's creating a talk back. Don't get too excited because it will not be as loud as a TalkBack built into your radio but will serve you well if you use this speaker as opposed to modifying your radio.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:53 PM
Rookie