User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2016, 02:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You can still earn a decent living in this business. But, it is becoming more difficult with all the new regulations on the industry. Many of these new regulations are being pushd by the ATA and some of the major carriers. We would not have elogs without the ATA and a few of the mega carriers. If you want to fight back, you might start by refusing to work for the mega carriers and look for carriers who don't have elogs. Tell carriers who push elogs that you refuse to work for any carrier who uses elogs. If enough drivers refuse to work for carriers who have logs, things might change, if it isn't too late. No one is forced to work for a carrier who uses elogs. In fact, you cannot be forced to work for anyone. Some carriers who previously had elogs have gone back to paper. If it were not expected to be mandatory, I think most who are currently on elogs would revert back to paper if the mandate were reversed. I have not heard that some carriers are pushing for longer work weeks. That tells me than elogs are not working as well as they thought they would. If you really are serious about making changes for drivers, it would help to get involved in the political process. When legislation comes up that effects this industry, you need to make your views known to those who can help. The FMCSA is required to publish any pending rules or legislation. Anyone can make public comments. When we complain to fellow drivers it doesn't do much to help a situation. Taking constructive action can help. Just think, there are somewhere between 3-5 million drivers in this country. Imagine if only 10% of those drivers took an active interest and called or wrote their elected representatives and made public comments? It could make a huge impact and could be the start of meaningful changes. I guarantee you that the special interest groups and lobbyists will be acting in their interests and those are not necessarily in drivers interest.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:08 PM
Board Icon

One, you can still fudge a bit with the elogs........work your time out at a certain speed and just slow down enough that you get to a certain place you want to be just as you run out of hours! If the company asks, pulling hills guys, traffic, road work with a lower speed limit........make a stop at a rest area to check the equipment over and use the bathroom!

In this day, I'd be looking to run as much as possible though, I mean if the slowdown in freight is still real and all. Drivers are supposedly not getting the miles anymore then complaining when they are forced to run maximum hours......
Old 03-30-2016, 04:29 AM
Rookie

Careful this is a double edge sword. I got a case of the big head and started demanding more money more benefits and found myself unemployed just as the economy took a ****. I am still in recovery phase of that.
That said if you're driving over the road, have more than two years of experience and a decent record you better be making between $55-$60,000 a year or more. If not you should look at other companies. One thing I did that really helped me when I got the job I have now was to post my resume on craigslist. In the post I specified that I was looking for a small company and listed my expectations. I got contacted by a few of the recruiters that recruit for anyone but those are easy to spot and weed out quickly. It didn't take long before I found I had several offers from some companies that were guaranteeing me $1000 a week bring home.
I do stay out more than five days at a time however. I am divorced and my daughter rides with me and I homeschool her on the truck so I don't need to get home weekly like many of you. We stay out a few months at a time then go home for a week. This way I am getting lots of miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2016, 05:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrobin View Post
Careful this is a double edge sword. I got a case of the big head and started demanding more money more benefits and found myself unemployed just as the economy took a ****. I am still in recovery phase of that.
That said if you're driving over the road, have more than two years of experience and a decent record you better be making between $55-$60,000 a year or more. If not you should look at other companies. One thing I did that really helped me when I got the job I have now was to post my resume on craigslist. In the post I specified that I was looking for a small company and listed my expectations. I got contacted by a few of the recruiters that recruit for anyone but those are easy to spot and weed out quickly. It didn't take long before I found I had several offers from some companies that were guaranteeing me $1000 a week bring home.
I do stay out more than five days at a time however. I am divorced and my daughter rides with me and I homeschool her on the truck so I don't need to get home weekly like many of you. We stay out a few months at a time then go home for a week. This way I am getting lots of miles.

Of course you have to pick the right time to demand better pay, in an economic downturn you cannot. So many drivers took a pay cut during that time.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
One, you can still fudge a bit with the elogs........work your time out at a certain speed and just slow down enough that you get to a certain place you want to be just as you run out of hours! If the company asks, pulling hills guys, traffic, road work with a lower speed limit........make a stop at a rest area to check the equipment over and use the bathroom!

In this day, I'd be looking to run as much as possible though, I mean if the slowdown in freight is still real and all. Drivers are supposedly not getting the miles anymore then complaining when they are forced to run maximum hours......
I don't call that fudging. I would call that dragging my feet so I can shut down at the Taj Mahal.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
You can still earn a decent living in this business. But, it is becoming more difficult with all the new regulations on the industry. Many of these new regulations are being pushd by the ATA and some of the major carriers. We would not have elogs without the ATA and a few of the mega carriers. If you want to fight back, you might start by refusing to work for the mega carriers and look for carriers who don't have elogs. Tell carriers who push elogs that you refuse to work for any carrier who uses elogs. If enough drivers refuse to work for carriers who have logs, things might change, if it isn't too late. No one is forced to work for a carrier who uses elogs. In fact, you cannot be forced to work for anyone. Some carriers who previously had elogs have gone back to paper. If it were not expected to be mandatory, I think most who are currently on elogs would revert back to paper if the mandate were reversed. I have not heard that some carriers are pushing for longer work weeks. That tells me than elogs are not working as well as they thought they would. If you really are serious about making changes for drivers, it would help to get involved in the political process. When legislation comes up that effects this industry, you need to make your views known to those who can help. The FMCSA is required to publish any pending rules or legislation. Anyone can make public comments. When we complain to fellow drivers it doesn't do much to help a situation. Taking constructive action can help. Just think, there are somewhere between 3-5 million drivers in this country. Imagine if only 10% of those drivers took an active interest and called or wrote their elected representatives and made public comments? It could make a huge impact and could be the start of meaningful changes. I guarantee you that the special interest groups and lobbyists will be acting in their interests and those are not necessarily in drivers interest.
I somewhat agree with you as usual, but some not. Regs do what regs do- moderate growth. I actually think the ATA is advising their top members to consolidate the industry by hoarding capacity. Equipment and drivers spread all over and under utilized. That would explain the 'driver shortage myth' while drivers are sitting.
I think the best thing we can hope for is that one day some of the giants get cut down to size.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:38 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
I don't call that fudging. I would call that dragging my feet so I can shut down at the Taj Mahal.
Accomplishes what you want though if done correctly and your legal! Win Win!
Old 03-31-2016, 04:09 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't think so. The goal is to make money, not to shut down where i want.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:13 PM
Senior Board Member

What are the legalities around driving over hours to get to a 'safe harbor'? How is that defined? I have always just done what i wanted to, then made it right in the log like going across town to the truck stop after unloading and showing myself not having moved in the same town. Can getting to the truck stop be defined as personal driving time?
Old 03-31-2016, 07:30 PM
Rookie

Safe harbor only applies to unexpected adverse conditions. I.E. weather or traffic accident. And even then it only extends your driving time if you could not have stopped somewhere after encountering the adverse condition.
Off duty personal conveyance I think only applies to bobtail. And even then you must return to the location you started your personal conveyance. The bobtail part I am not positive about but the rest is accurate according to what I learned listening to a Road Dog (XM Radio) show on the subject that included some lawyers talking on both of these subjects.