User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Disability or Comp?

My company just put me out of service due to slightly elevated blood pressure even tho the DR. that did the DOT physical gave me a 3 month medical card. So whats next? I have appt. with my DR. on Monday AM but would this be a workers comp case or disability? It was Crete's choice to refuse to let me drive (they don't recognize a 3 mo. card) so now I'm out of work and don't know for how long. I don't want to wait a week or two then find out I can't get back to work for another couple weeks so I need to know ASAP.
I've never been down this road before so have absolutely no idea!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The Doc is being cautious since it's blood pressure, but the meds should regulate that pretty good for you. I'm thinking if you tell your Doc you need a 6 month card, you could walk out of the office with that, long as your blood pressure meds are working for you. May want to see you back in a month or two for a follow up.

I'm thinking workman comp. Even if you had to pay cash for the doc visit, until you figure out who will cover it, it should run you $150 for the visit? Seems that's what I've paid for a med card renewal before, when I didn't have insurance, and I paid my doc visits with cash.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you don't want to get on the meds but want to get your blood pressure down, you might find a health food store or vitamin store like Vitamin Shoppe or Vitamin World. There is an herb called Hawthorne Berry that will bring your bp down in only a few days to a couple of weeks. It is natural and doesn't have any side effects. It is also less expensive than the bp meds. If you decide to go that route, you may want to take some niacin, as well.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:48 AM
Board Regular

Neither, Repete..
First, check in with your own heart...are you tired of your gravy train? If not, then...
Hog's right about the medications bringing it down quickly. Lisinopril seems to be very good at slapping your heart into shape, and quickly!
Then, much love to GMAN for the herbal advice! Your body is a part of this creation. That means that you need to supplement with the elements it needs. Please do look into Hawthorne berry (excellent!), milk thistle for your liver, hibiscus flower tea, fiber for your digestive tract, cut out the soda (it strips you of magnesium), drop the coffee intake (strips you of copper needed for ATP production), Epsom salts baths (for magnesium and sulfur), and zinc.
Truckers have a HORRIBLE prognosis, healthwise, unless you become proactive about your health. The doctors see you as a number--but your health is your truest wealth!
I've long envied you for that lovely route you have...please take care of precious you!
Jewels
P.S., Google all this stuff. The human body is AMAZING in its ability to heal and repair itself! You're worth taking care of!
Old 01-26-2016, 03:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like the problem is resolved, I've never had high BP before in fact it's always been kinda the opposite. I didn't give it a thought but the night before I had the physical my wife and I had dinner here at the house. It was fairly high in sodium but then when I got hungry about 2230 (my "normal" dinner time) I had one of those sodium packed microwave meals out of a vending machine. I don't eat many of those things and never paid much attention to whats in them. I will now!
Anyway my BPs back to normal and all certified by my doc. and now i have to go back to the terminal and be recertified by cretes DR.
What a PIA! Even tho I still had a couple weeks on my old card and 3 months on my new card they booted me out of the truck and sent me home. (could it have been that wicked office witch?) Now she has to arrange transportation back there and a night in the hotel. At best I will get one trip in this week, but at least my dispatcher put a hold on my truck so no one else would take it.

JT, It's been a long time! I didn't know if you'd even remember me. Yeah I still got my cushy gravy train. Not quite 147,000 mi. a year for the past 8 and a half years now. Can you believe it? Time sure flies! Remember the twins? They're doing great and we now have another granddaughter that's pushing 2. So enough about me what about you?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-27-2016, 04:20 AM
Board Regular

YAAAAAY!!! GRAAAAAVY TRAAAAAAIIINNNN!!!! I'm doing the "Humpty Dance", for ya!!!
So glad to hear all's well, again. Enjoy the free night with full accommodation, BUT STAY AWAY FROM THE MICROWAVE DINNERS!!!!
Aw, 'Pete, you know I could NEVER forget you! I DO remember the twins, and you say there's a new grandbaby girl who's pushin' 2?? GET READY FOR THE TERRIBLE TWOS, PawPaw!!!
Thanks for some GOOD NEWS! These days, that's getting harder to come by.
Take care of you--there's some folks that are depending on your strong, healthy heart and big smile!
Jewels
Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Board Icon

That is crazy repete! I had a high reading a few years back, luckily the doc knew me so she let me chill for 20 minutes then took it again and it was fine. I do wonder what the answer would have been if it hadn't worked out for you. It is an interesting circumstance.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Just got back home WITH my truck! But it was touch and go there for awhile. went in and took a whole the physical and my BP was high AGAIN! This time I talked to the doc. and she took it again (#4) only she used a stethoscope and a hand operated whatever ya call it instead of the automated machine and PERFECT!!! Seems the machine's might be out of calibration or something. I do know the first time they took my BP I had a heavy flannel shirt on and they said it didn't matter.
I learned a few things here and I'll pass them on.
#1 stay away from sodium and salty foods for a couple days before the exam.
#2 No caffeine for aprox. 12 hrs before the exam
#3 Don't eat a bunch of pancakes smothered in syrup and washed down with MT. Dew for breakfast, no glazed doughnuts either! It will show sugar in your urine and you'll look diabetic.
#4 Drink lots of water.
#5 Make sure you roll up your sleeve for the BP check, if it reads high ask for it to be checked manually!
All of the above were problems the doc saw just this morning!

Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Good advice, repete. I am glad that you were able to get your BP down. I don't think most people consider what they eat and how it can affect their health. Just having a physical can be stressful enough to drive your BP up.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:55 AM
Board Regular
Default Just checkin' for an update on the Gravy Train! hee hee

It occurred to my slow mind (it's sometimes like the Mississippi River-throw something in and it comes back up waaaaaaay down the line!) that I hadn't checked back to hear the "All's Clear"...Glad things are well with ya!
Thanks, too, for the words of wisdom regarding the Medical Exams. I recently took one to get my certificate (Yes, I'm still a Silver Fox!) and was relieved that my health is still within appropriate perimeters! Now, if we could just get that employment thing taken care of! lol
Glad you're back up to speed, Paw Paw!
Jewels