User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2016, 05:14 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Post-50 Insomnia. What to do?

Hey, Folks! Just wondering if any of you have discovered that, after hitting the big 5-0, that sleep gets tougher and tougher to come by?
As a relatively healthy person, I'm sort of surprised at how the quality of my sleep has gradually worsened. I've tried melatonin tabs, and they actually do work, but I QUICKLY build up a tolerance to them...meaning I HAVE to continue upping the dosage, or spend a week trying to re-adjust my own natural levels!
What do you do? I haven't tried exercise (well, there was that one Zumba incident...nevermind!), but I have tried supplementing my diet with tryptophan and magnesium... Feeling calmer, and less achy, but still sleepless.
Any ideas on what a person might try? I haven't developed the swelling that leads to apnea, so grateful for that. It's just plain 'ol, run of the mill insomnia that doesn't seem to have a cause...
Anyone here dealing with that? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!
Thanks...
Jewels
Old 01-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Well, I think the good news is, if you live long enough, you'll once again sleep like a baby, and you will slowly begin to look the same again, and smelly too.
You will drool and cry a lot, because you are teething. Teething like always losing another achy/breaky tooth. Getting old ain't for weaklings.

Being drivers don't have great diets, and drink lots of caffeine, I think when you get older, the stimulants can mess up your sleep routine, more than when you were younger and not as polluted.
Lay off all stimulants for a few months, and if you still have insomnia, it could be a medical condition... like crust building up on your knutson valve... try using a Q-tip with some WD-40... and really get in there...

I'm sure there is a natural progression toward insomnia as our bodies add up the wear and tear. Just know whatever health problems you are having now, is $#@^! nothing like you will have in another XX years.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Board Regular

You're just a bright, cheery ray of hope, now, aren't you? hee hee
Seriously, I hadn't even given a thought to the idea about stimulants...once I'd begun driving, cups of coffee became like little transfusions of normalcy--that I used all day, every day! Now, hobbled at home, I've continued the habit.
Looks like I'm going to continue to suffer with it, then. Heck, who needs sleep...WHEN I GOT COFFEE!! lol
Thanks, Hog...
Jewels
P.S., Seriously-I think I'll slow down (not "stop", because caffeine headaches are worse than an axe to the head!), for a few weeks to see what happens. I'm sure you're right about that "teething" thing, and I'm already worried about having to tuck the girls under mah belt before going out! No need to rush the process with a lack of sleep, right?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:33 PM
Board Icon

All things in moderation.... I've always hated discipline.
It takes a very strong will at times to beat what seem like harmless cravings and addictions.
Things like sugar, or salt are way over done in our food, and we take in massive overdoses, without thinking anything about it.

The amount of caffeine really adds up too, and I think with some drivers who get run down, they end up with higher levels of anxiety, and even maybe experience a panic attack.
If we took care of a plant, the same way we take care of ourselves, the plant would get sick and die a slow horrible death.

I over indulge and never seem to learn. If I do beat one addiction, I'll replace it with something else. I seem to have the answers, but not the will to do what's really needed.
I read what kind of diet Tom Brady keeps, and it's as simple as can be, but one of the hardest things to live by. I mean, once you've crossed over to the dark side... (sugar) it's over for you.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:58 AM
Board Regular

heehee...me, too!

I limited myself to ONE CUP, today, now I'm in jail. See how you do me?
Seriously, the sugar and caffeine really DO seem "harmless", when compared to illicit or other substances...but they're insidious in that, since they're legal and "food-like", you don't expect them to cause that much problem.
The good news is that after limiting myself to one cup, today, my ears feel heavy (sleepy) at close to 1 am. That just DOESN'T HAPPEN!!!
I remember when I first came off the road, whenever I'd start feeling sleepy, I'd start craving coffee. Really badly. I realized that I'd begun to respond to a legitimate bodily signal for sleep with an unhealthy demand for coffee... Makes me wonder how many others have done this, subconsciously? Sleep deprivation is serious business--is that where all the anxiety is coming from? That, and the shaky, quakey feeling that comes from TOO MUCH coffee?
Grateful that the battle is just for sleep, not panic attacks. I really feel for the driver that posted that, in another thread.
Insightful post, RH.
Jewels
P.S., Danged Dark Side Cookies! Gotta love 'em!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelsnTools View Post
Hey, Folks! Just wondering if any of you have discovered that, after hitting the big 5-0, that sleep gets tougher and tougher to come by?
As a relatively healthy person, I'm sort of surprised at how the quality of my sleep has gradually worsened. I've tried melatonin tabs, and they actually do work, but I QUICKLY build up a tolerance to them...meaning I HAVE to continue upping the dosage, or spend a week trying to re-adjust my own natural levels!
What do you do? I haven't tried exercise (well, there was that one Zumba incident...nevermind!), but I have tried supplementing my diet with tryptophan and magnesium... Feeling calmer, and less achy, but still sleepless.
Any ideas on what a person might try? I haven't developed the swelling that leads to apnea, so grateful for that. It's just plain 'ol, run of the mill insomnia that doesn't seem to have a cause...
Anyone here dealing with that? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!
Thanks...
Jewels
I realize this won't help your situation, however I find that a good Indica will settle my mind and body and allow for a fair night of sleep..
Old 05-03-2019, 01:04 AM
Board Icon

I use to sleep high all the time, when I was a kid, in the top bunk.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:23 AM
Rookie

Are you sure that your sleep problems are definetely connected with your age? Did you have such symptoms earlier or did they appear only in your 50s?

In general the common sleep problems which are connected with aging are wanting to sleep earlier in evenings (and waking-up earlier as an aftermarth) and needing more time in bed for really enough sleeping (it can be also a wish for having an extra nap during the day).

All other symptoms are a sign of general sleep disorder which can be caused with many other reasons. They include for example problems with falling asleep even if you're really tired, control of your emotions, feeling tired later during the day even if you slept for many hours, needing to take meds for falling asleep at all and so on. It's seen that your symptoms belong to the second type so if I were you I would have a medical examination before continuing to take any other pills, especially if you need to take more and more of them for having any effect at least.

Also all such symptoms can be connected with hormonal imbalance, for example in case of aging many sleep disorders are connected with lack of human growth hormone because the older we become, the less of it is produced with our body. You can try some natural methods for boosting it, however considering your age, it's a great chance that only a hormonal replacement therapy https://www.hgha.com/ will be effective in your case.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:51 AM
Board Icon

I figured out what works for me.
I self identify as a canine, and now I sleep like a dog.
Timberwolf can relate I think. I turn several tight circles as I lay down.

One side effect I noticed, I now have 5 nipples.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:50 PM
Rookie

Thanks for sharing the symptoms and the cure for insomnia. This disorder is not only common in youngsters but also increasing, the factors in elders also. It's a saying" As long as we grow old, our tensions grow with us", this suit to the elderly people, dealing with the loneliness and are not able to sleep properly at night -though become a victim of insomnia. Recently I came across an article, there I came across details about some eldercare lawyers, giving a proper treatment to the needy elderly. If anyone is suffering from dementia or insomnia type of disorders and are unable to tackle the situation or unable to take certain legal decisions, they can take some help from such lawyers.

Last edited by Johnbooth; 11-09-2019 at 05:52 AM.