User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2015, 04:13 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pile up video in Wyoming. What's your opinion on the drivers?

For your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxlvxvG8zOE
Old 05-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Senior Board Member

What's your opinion on the drivers? My .02 lousy video but from the impacts I could see all were preventable. Few if any left themselves with a way out (the 4 wheeler van looked like he pulled off the road and then backed even farther off) and most if not all were driving beyond the distance the could see. With that said I don't know if that was a very localized whiteout/icy conditions or if it was like that for the past 50 miles. I sure wouldn't have wanted to stop on that shoulder!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 05-12-2015, 03:12 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

could be how this started out?

Old 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
With that said I don't know if that was a very localized whiteout/icy conditions or if it was like that for the past 50 miles. I sure wouldn't have wanted to stop on that shoulder!
That spot is one of two or three specific places across Wyoming on I-80 that is KNOWN (to any trucker who's ever been through there much,) to have "localized" icing and whiteout conditions. The weather channel had been warning for days of a blizzard to hit that day. And just to answer your question: That all probably was at most 15 miles or so of those conditions.

WYDOT has electronic speed limit signs in the area that reduce speed limits as conditions warrant. AND.. they have electronic signboards along the route that warn of blowing snow/whiteouts, etc. Another of the videos from this wreck is narrated by a driver who managed to get stopped before he got there, and then was hit from behind. He attributed the cause to two specific truckers who "blew by" him at speeds too fast for conditions.

However... there was a lot of stupid going on that day, and not ALL by the drivers. The person shooting that video should have attempted to go down the road and warn drivers instead of just standing there getting their "youtube fix." WYDOT should have prepositioned a "warning" vehicle before any of that happened. If I understand the sequence properly... there was already a smaller wreck on the other side of the highway, and emergency vehicles were in the area... and with a clear road to have backtracked and set up a warning on the other side (THIS side.) In another video, you can see first responders just standing over there watching it all happen.

There's a good chance that it all started by drivers (possibly 4 wheelers) taking their eyes off the road, and/or slowing down to "looky loo" that previous accident. Still... that section is known for heavy black ice and blowing snow.

Wyoming is SLOW to close that interstate due to "conditions" partly because it is such a major freight lane, and partly because those conditions are SO common during the winter. They have a lot of plows, and they get them out early. But... they just need to do MORE to ensure safety on that road during the winter.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most of those drivers were traveling too fast for conditions and not leaving enough space between themselves and other vehicles. My guess is that most probably didn't have their radios turned on so they could hear what was happening. When there is fog, snow and blizzard conditions, you slow down.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Most of those drivers were traveling too fast for conditions and not leaving enough space between themselves and other vehicles. My guess is that most probably didn't have their radios turned on so they could hear what was happening. When there is fog, snow and blizzard conditions, you slow down.

Right on, GMAN!!

This vid makes me thankful that I drove for a company that truly put safety first. (NDI; Sellersburg, In.)

There rule was: "Snow?? Go SLOW!! Ice?? No Dice!!"

Although we mainly hauled JIT freight, their rationale was that it was far better to call a receiver to say that their load would be a few hours, or even a day late, than to have to tell the shipper and the receiver that their load was sitting in a ditch. Our dispatchers would respect our decisions to shut down when conditions warranted.

I guess I'm showing my age a bit here, but I watch this vid, and in my mind, I hear the voice of Ricci Ricardo, of "I Love Lucy".

........Now, "HOW do you 'splain DAT??"