User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hobbies and what-not to waste time and money on

What does everyone else do "on the side"? Me? I'm on a kick to install custom RGB LED lighting to my camper. It's pretty inexpensive and easy to hook up. I just installed my first section, which is on my awning tube. I've got items on the way to install the same type of lighting on the awning support legs (should be here by next weekend). After that, I'll install it on the bed ends (my camper is a hybrid - the beds fold down on the ends). The light strip is really thin (about 1/8"), waterproof (encased in silicone) and self-adhesive. It'll stay in place and be rolled up inside the awning. The lights run off of 12v, so it'll hook directly to the camper's battery (I still have to run the permanent electrical setup for that).

Here's a couple photos of it so far:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1323[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1324[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1325[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1326[/ATTACH]

Here's a short video of the lights in action. It doesn't show all of the modes available, but you'll get the idea. The part with the flashing red/blue will be fun when everyone has passed the legal limit for driving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_PEWjk25k&feature=youtu.be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-02-23 10.02.37.jpg (97.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-02-23 10.02.42.jpg (96.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-02-23 10.02.55.jpg (90.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-02-23 10.03.14.jpg (88.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Installed 2 more strips of lights to the camper. These are on the awning support poles of the camper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDbgcU-DvdI
Old 03-09-2014, 12:54 AM
Senior Board Member

My latest hobby (has been for awhile) is building a cabin. It started out as just a small 10'x10' to get out of the weather when hunting.
It has grown to 16'x30' with the 10x10 being the bedroom. I've got it wired for 110v and 12volt and just waiting for spring to set up the solar panels I got on sale (cheap!) at Harbor Freight. I recycled most of the wood from packing crates (free) and ripped them to 4.5" wide and ran them thru a planer to a thickness of 3/4" then cut a 1/4" tounge and groove on them for knotty pine planking inside. I stripped out an old tow behind camper for the oven/stove water tank/pump propane fridge and water heater. I thought about useing lumber cut from timber from my land but didn't want to use green wood, so I sold a few tree's and bought what I needed. So far I've done good at keeping the cost down.
The only LED lighting I've used so far is a couple small yellow one I installed outside above the steps, works REAL good! I think I might look into that RGB tubes, It's alittle more modern looking than what I want but...
I'm still into shooting and reloading too, Try to get to the range once aweek. But that dosn't always happen.

BTW Like the new camper, didn't you just get a pop-up last year?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Warning-Keep Out

man caves

Old 03-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Senior Board Member

The RGB LED I'm using isn't a tube - it's a flexible waterproof strip. It's roughly 1/2" wide x 1/16" thick. It's completely encased in a silicone coating. It comes in 5 meter lengths, which is roughly 16 1/2 feet. You can cut it roughly every 2 inches to the length you need. You can extend it to basically any length by adding a data repeater every 5 meters (costs about $8 on Amazon). There are also many types of controllers available. The one that came with my original set was a CHEAP infrared controller. There was a problem with the remote control which drained the watch-style battery in minutes. The one I'm using now is a Wi-Fi based controller. You install an app (free) onto any iphone/ipad/android device and control the lights with that.

As for the camper - last years "upgrade" was a fiasco. I completely rebuilt the lift system on the huge pop-up I bought. In all, that took about 3 weeks. When I was completely finished installing it, I cranked it up and down a few times with no issues. When I went to reinstall the door onto the camper, I noticed that the roof was about 1" short of being high enough for the door. I grabbed the winch and tried to raise it a bit more. Well, it went one "click" and POW. Two of the lift corners completely destroyed themselves (again). That was it for me. The same day, I went to a local RV dealer, found the camper I have now and bought it. Even though I'm not happy about having payments for the next seven years on it, I'm so happy I did it. The new camper is MUCH better. It's a hybrid (the beds fold down out of the ends), plus it has a slide-out with a dine-et in it which converts to a bed, plus a fold-out couch for a 4th bed.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Here's the controller I'm using for the lighting: Wireless RGB Wifi LED Strip Controller for iOS iPhone Android Smartphone Tablet - Amazon.com

BTW - the lighting fully runs off of the 12v system in the camper. I'm also installing everything in "sections", so that I can turn off and on whichever lights I want. There will be: Awning tube, awning support posts, bed ends (they'll point down when the beds are folded), camper wall under the awning and on the underside of the camper along the front wall. I also *might* install a strip on the underside on the back of the camper.

One other type of light I'm looking into adding for fun is a RGB LED strip called "Dream Color". This strip has MANY more functions, and can do many effects (chasing, bouncing, etc). I'm just not sure how/where to install them yet, or what it takes to make custom lengths.

Here's that one: Amazon.com : 5M 5050 RGB Dream color 6803 IC LED Strip Light Waterproof & 133 Change RF Rmote : Led Chasing Lights : Home Improvement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTkiNIJkWrY
Old 03-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Board Icon

Most of my hobbies are centered around fishing right now. I haven't fished in years, so I'm just getting back into it, and needed to get all new gear.
Talk about sticker shock at the price of gear these days.
Even my old ice fishing shanty turned into a wasp nest and floor rotted out. I have plans to build a new one, rather than rebuild this one. It's on my list.
I spent last spring and summer working on setting up a fishing boat, and now I'm busy with ice fishing gear.
I have another month of ice fishing, then I'll be thinking of getting my boat back out and doing some more stuff to it.
Working on the gear is as much fun as taking this stuff out and using it.
Well, not really.

I too have a new light I'm using. ,,,,here is the light >>> OPTRONICS, INC.
It's a 9" fluorescent 12 volt under water fish light.

It will drop down up to 15 feet which is perfect for the small fresh water lakes i'm fishing. These lights at night draw in the small fresh water shrimp, plankton, etc. bait fish feed on.
The bait fish we are looking for are called smelt. We catch them with hook and line, and use them as bait for larger fish the next day. The smelt are also great eating, if you are lucky enough to catch a dozen or more, enough for a meal.

I run this light off my 12 volt marine battery, which has a nice battery box with 12 v. accessory plug-ins as well as battery posts. My bait bucket is an aerated minnow bucket that runs on 2- D cell batteries or 12 volt. With a big battery, I have the power to run anything I need out on the ice, but bringing a big battery along is work, if you don't have a machine to drag your gear sled.

I've been setting up both my atv and snowmobile for ice fishing. I'm working on fixing 2 different sleds for different ice conditions. The sleds tow behind either the atv or the snowmobile with a tow bar hook up. One sled is a big black plastic tub sled. I am building what is called a smitty sled to put under that tub sled. The smitty sled is just a frame basically attached to a set of downhill skis. You can get cheap skis from the GoodWill. I got a set for $12. The tub sleds pull nice, but if you put them up on a set of skis, (smitty sled) then they pull heavier weight like b-u-tter.

The steel dog sled in the photo is much heavier, but also hauls a lot. It's built tough enough to use as a rescue sled, as it can haul a person, with a person standing on the back. Nice tow bar, real cool work sled, but here is the draw back…
in sloppy conditions when the slush builds up, the sled is too close to the back of the machine, and gets covered with snow and slop. They are heavy and bog down in those conditions too. That's when you need a lightweight sled, with a long rope, to keep the sled back about 20 feet, which in the slop works out to be a good length for towing. That's what the tub sled on skis is for.
Other than that, when it gets too sloppy or ice not as safe for machines, then you walk out, and take just the basics.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Senior Board Member

I haven't been fishing in years. With this job, paying for a fishing (or hunting) license just isn't worth it. I think the last time I had either license was over 5 years ago and maybe went fishing or hunting once or twice in a year.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Board Icon

repete, hope those solar panels work out for ya. I have seen nothing but trashy reviews from folks who had high hopes for them only to be seriously disappointed by their performance and lack of longevity, in particular the one's that HF sells.

House work and making book cases were my hobby, now it's chasing a 100 mph toddler around the house.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
I haven't been fishing in years. With this job, paying for a fishing (or hunting) license just isn't worth it. I think the last time I had either license was over 5 years ago and maybe went fishing or hunting once or twice in a year.
that's what happened to me too. Been so long, all my gear is maybe worth something on eBay as antiques. (worthless crap)

There is fishing gear available now that we never dreamed of in the past. Some of it is fun to use and as much fun as actually fishing.
I'm still old school mono line and live bait kinda fisherman though.

One new toy I never had before i really like now, is a GPS locator. They have lake contour mapping, that put you in the perfect spot.