User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default cant choose what printer

hi. i know most of you have an experience in buying and owning printers. I really have different kinds of demands but I have not yet decided what kind of printer to buy. Please suggest one that fits $100-$200 budget.. i want to print pictures and ebooks.. i would not mind spending much for the printer if it wont require me to buy expensive printer ink for it..
Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Senior Board Member

I have a Lexmark all-in-one printer/scanner/fax that my wife picked up at a Big Lots for about $50. The ink costs me about $25 for the black (never print color) and that easily prints 2 months worth of logs. What I really like about that printer is that it has an auto-document feeder for copying/scanning. I send my paperwork in with TransflowNow direct from the truck. Plus, being able to make copies quickly (and without dealing with the truckstops) is a major plus.

Even at Best Buy, Wal Mart, etc, you won't pay much for a printer. The only one I'd suggest you stay away from are Epsons. They have a history of the printheads getting clogged, which pretty much ends the life of your printer. HP's are probably the best overall and Lexmarks are a great price. My Lexmark has been in the truck for a few years now with no issues.

Expect to pay under $100 for a decent printer/scanner. If you can, get one with the auto-feeder for scanning. It really helps out.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Senior Board Member

walmart has an all in one Kodak that does a great job. the hp's are junk they have a defect, after a couple of months, they give a false paper jam error and then wont work anymore, I had 2 that did it and my friend had 3 that all did the same thing
I have a canon now that I'm real happy with, the ink is expensive, but it lasts a long time, it has been saying ink low for 2 weeks and is still printing fine
Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Senior Board Member

My last printer was an HP 895, I think. Had that thing for at least 10 years. The drive belt in it dry-rotted and broke, otherwise I would've still been using it. Having the scanner is a major plus.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
walmart has an all in one Kodak that does a great job. the hp's are junk they have a defect, after a couple of months, they give a false paper jam error and then wont work anymore, I had 2 that did it and my friend had 3 that all did the same thing
I have a canon now that I'm real happy with, the ink is expensive, but it lasts a long time, it has been saying ink low for 2 weeks and is still printing fine
As a matter of fact, I had bought an el-cheapo HP printer-only. I think I had it 2 weeks before it started acting stupid. Thankfully, though, I only paid something like $30 for it. Thankfully because I put the printer between my drives and flattened it.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Since they basically give you the printer but nail you on replacement ink... I suggest something that doesn't have a computer chip embedded in the ink cartridges. That way you can buy replacement ink at a fraction of the price. I own 2 Brother printers for that reason and I don't love them but they're acceptable and the ink is cheap.

The best printer I ever had was a Canon. Duplex printing, fast. Loved it until replacement ink costs started getting on my nerves.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Senior Board Member

I hear ya on the ink costs. I have an Epson at home that takes 6 carts, @ $20 each. Even if you only print in black, they all run low. Great printer if you can afford to use it.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
My last printer was an HP 895, I think. Had that thing for at least 10 years. The drive belt in it dry-rotted and broke, otherwise I would've still been using it. Having the scanner is a major plus.
I have an older hp all in one that I have had for years with no problems. but the new ones are crap,, NEVER had any luck with Lexmark either
Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have 2 HP all in one printers. One has an automatic document feeder. For the most part, both have been problem free. I have own both for a number of years. I did have a problem with one that said something about a jam. I think that I disconnected the power and it reset itself. In any case, both have given me a lot of service. I belive one is a 2400 and the other a 5410. I paid about $150 for one and about $200 for the other. You can now find them for around $100 or less. They make most of their money on the ink. You can spend a little more and get a laser printer and it will cost less to print. Toner lasts much longer, but you will spend more to purchase. I have also owned IBM, Lexmark and other brands. Most will give you good service.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd like to find a decent laser printer/scanner just for that - the toner. I had an ancient HP Laserjet IIID, which was a duplex printer. When I bought it, it was probably 5-10 years old already and I used it for another 5 or so. It was a massive power-hog, though. When I turned it on, it would dim the lights in the entire house until it was completely warmed up.