User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Mackman's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Concordville PA
Posts: 3,845
Default Tanker (Gas Hauling Jobs)

I applied at Sunoco once again. I was on there website and saw they had a job opening in Philly PA. What is a good hourly rate for yanking gas. I think the pay is very good $23.07 to $24.38 an hour. OT after 40 and a very nice benefit package. Here is the link to the job thing. https://sunoco.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-b...cgi?jobid=4857


Should i give them like 2-3 days and maybe call them. Or just wait for them to contact me(if they even do). I really need a job. I been laid off since 1/1/09. My boss called and said he got 2 jobs coming up starting in 1-2weeks. But the job i have now pays no where near as good as sunoco. I only get 18/hr now.

I have pulled tankers for about 2 years but i never hauled any hazmat stuff. Since i got my hazmat i never even used it yet. The only reason i got it some of you may remember i was trying to get a job at Pyle a while back. I had a friend that used to work at sunoco but the dumb ass got popped on a drug test so he got fired.

Anyway what is the best thing for me to do to get this job?

Thanks
Mackman
__________________
Truck Driving an occupation consisting of hours of boredom interrupted by sheer terror!!

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug



Last edited by Mackman; 03-27-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Biscuit Lips's Avatar
Board Regular
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
Default

I can not offer any prudent advice, but GOOD LUCK I hope you get that job.:thumbsup:
__________________

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Orangetxguy's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
I applied at Sunoco once again. I was on there website and saw they had a job opening in Philly PA. What is a good hourly rate for yanking gas. I think the pay is very good $23.07 to $24.38 an hour. OT after 40 and a very nice benefit package. Here is the link to the job thing. https://sunoco.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-b...cgi?jobid=4857


Should i give them like 2-3 days and maybe call them. Or just wait for them to contact me(if they even do). I really need a job. I been laid off since 1/1/09. My boss called and said he got 2 jobs coming up starting in 1-2weeks. But the job i have now pays no where near as good as sunoco. I only get 18/hr now.

I have pulled tankers for about 2 years but i never hauled any hazmat stuff. Since i got my hazmat i never even used it yet. The only reason i got it some of you may remember i was trying to get a job at Pyle a while back. I had a friend that used to work at sunoco but the dumb ass got popped on a drug test so he got fired.

Anyway what is the best thing for me to do to get this job.

Thanks
Mackman

Mack dude....Get your Yankee butt into the Philly terminal and do a face to face chat! The website app may be ok...but face to face chatting works better. Don't let your lack of HazMat experience worry you. Oil companies prefer some experience yes.
However, Sun may well accept the tank experience you have, plus the rest of your driving experience, in a face to face conversation. They can teach you their method of fuel delivery and habits...and not have to over come a Carriers taught habits.
Just reading your website App, could get you rejected. In a face to face conversation, they will see your personal demeanor, and get a better feel for you. Look up the terminal number, and call them. Ask to speak with the truck boss. Make an appointment...and be there exactly on time or a few minutes early...not one second late.

That is a good long term job for a young guy like you.
__________________
Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 AM
Mackman's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Concordville PA
Posts: 3,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Mack dude....Get your Yankee butt into the Philly terminal and do a face to face chat! The website app may be ok...but face to face chatting works better. Don't let your lack of HazMat experience worry you. Oil companies prefer some experience yes.
However, Sun may well accept the tank experience you have, plus the rest of your driving experience, in a face to face conversation. They can teach you their method of fuel delivery and habits...and not have to over come a Carriers taught habits.
Just reading your website App, could get you rejected. In a face to face conversation, they will see your personal demeanor, and get a better feel for you. Look up the terminal number, and call them. Ask to speak with the truck boss. Make an appointment...and be there exactly on time or a few minutes early...not one second late.

That is a good long term job for a young guy like you.
That is a great idea. The old fashion way. Why didn't i think of that:banghead:. I know were that terminal is in Philly. I will take a ride down there 2morrow since i ain't got nothing better to do. About 20-30min from my house.

They do have a closer terminal to me. But they ain't looking for drivers right now. I know you can do walk in apps. at that terminal. So i will give the Belmont terminal a try. How does the Hourly wage look for that job with the benefits??? I think it sounds good but i have no idea how much gas haulers make.
__________________
Truck Driving an occupation consisting of hours of boredom interrupted by sheer terror!!

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Jumbo's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 2,102
Default

What ever you dont put your friend down as a reference.
__________________
Don't trust anybody. Especially that guy in the mirror.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 AM
Orangetxguy's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
That is a great idea. The old fashion way. Why didn't i think of that:banghead:. I know were that terminal is in Philly. I will take a ride down there 2morrow since i ain't got nothing better to do. About 20-30min from my house.

They do have a closer terminal to me. But they ain't looking for drivers right now. I know you can do walk in apps. at that terminal. So i will give the Belmont terminal a try. How does the Hourly wage look for that job with the benefits??? I think it sounds good but i have no idea how much gas haulers make.
That wage is right in there with what most are paying right now. If you look at the Revere MA posting, you will see they have a bit mre of a spread.

If they do not blow you off, and actually take you on...expect to start at a slightly lower wage...maybe what your making right now. Usually, if they train you up, that is what companies like to do. Start you at the "rookie" wage, then work you up to "journey" wage, based on your aptitude.

It make take you two years to actually reach "journey", but in two years that wage may also be up to as much as $25.50 an hour, depending on circumstances. Also...they may have a differential wage for working nights.

The big thing will be...How you present yourself. Go in looking, talking and acting like a professional. :thumbsup:

As for doing it tomorrow...Call them first. Fridays are usually not a good day to be talking to terminal managers about jobs. Tuesday is the best day. Call in the morning and see what they have to say. Advance warning that you want to talk with them about a job, works in your favor. Remember...this is a "secure" facility you are going to.
__________________
Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:49 AM
Mackman's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Concordville PA
Posts: 3,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
What ever you don't put your friend down as a reference.
Oh i wont that is for sure. I wouldn't really call him my friend. He is more or less a guy i know that i went to high school with. The only reason i know he got fried is cuz i seen him at the blacktop plant driving a dump truck. Then we got talking and he told me.
__________________
Truck Driving an occupation consisting of hours of boredom interrupted by sheer terror!!

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:51 AM
Mackman's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Concordville PA
Posts: 3,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
That wage is right in there with what most are paying right now. If you look at the Revere MA posting, you will see they have a bit mre of a spread.

If they do not blow you off, and actually take you on...expect to start at a slightly lower wage...maybe what your making right now. Usually, if they train you up, that is what companies like to do. Start you at the "rookie" wage, then work you up to "journey" wage, based on your aptitude.

It make take you two years to actually reach "journey", but in two years that wage may also be up to as much as $25.50 an hour, depending on circumstances. Also...they may have a differential wage for working nights.

The big thing will be...How you present yourself. Go in looking, talking and acting like a professional. :thumbsup:

As for doing it tomorrow...Call them first. Fridays are usually not a good day to be talking to terminal managers about jobs. Tuesday is the best day. Call in the morning and see what they have to say. Advance warning that you want to talk with them about a job, works in your favor. Remember...this is a "secure" facility you are going to.
Great advice. It means alot. I will let you guys know what happens. Maybe i will wait intill Tuesday and give them a call. Maybe in the meantime they will call me.

Here is a green mark for ya:thumbsup:
__________________
Truck Driving an occupation consisting of hours of boredom interrupted by sheer terror!!

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:51 AM
Orangetxguy's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,799
Default

It's a good thing I am not in that area...You might have to compete with me for that job!!! 16 years of gas station deliveries under my belt...30 of hazmat tank work!

I don't want to gas deliveries anymore...that is why I pull chemical tanks around!! Good luck young man...and be determined to get their job. That means talking with them frequently. You may even be pointed at a "Carrier" by them, to get some delivery experience..before they will hire you. Don't dis them for something like that..take them at face value, and take their hint.
__________________
Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Mackman's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Concordville PA
Posts: 3,845
Default

Damn i cant give you a green mark again cuz it said i just gave you one not to long ago. WTF Heres one for you jumbo and BL
__________________
Truck Driving an occupation consisting of hours of boredom interrupted by sheer terror!!

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug


Reply With Quote
Reply






Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:33 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.