User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I want my CDL

Hi, being on the road is nothing new for me. My ex, an OTR trucker and I were together 24/7 for 7 years. I got my permit and drove off and on for 6 months but things happened and I didn't get my license. Now I'm in another relationship, have been for almost 4 years and I want to go get my CDL now! I've brought it up casually and was basically told no, that's not gonna happen. My kids are pretty much grown and either living on their own or with their dad. So there's nothing holding me back. My bf has 2 children whom I take care of cuz he's the bread winner. Kid gets sick? I pick them up. Kids off school? I'm home with them. Doctor appts, school things, I'm the one getting them to and from.
I feel held back and held down and I miss the road so badly and this time I wanna do it on my own.
Any advice on how to handie this? I feel like if I lay it all out, the pros as well as cons, maybe he'll come around. Last time I mentioned it, I said it would bring in more money. We struggle and punching a clock really just depresses me. I'm pretty obsessed about getting my CDL. I think about it ALL the time. The road is calling me..!! But if he doesnt come around, I'm afraid I may just proceed onward....
Thanks
Old 07-02-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMW78 View Post
Hi, being on the road is nothing new for me. My ex, an OTR trucker and I were together 24/7 for 7 years. I got my permit and drove off and on for 6 months but things happened and I didn't get my license. Now I'm in another relationship, have been for almost 4 years and I want to go get my CDL now! I've brought it up casually and was basically told no, that's not gonna happen. My kids are pretty much grown and either living on their own or with their dad. So there's nothing holding me back. My bf has 2 children whom I take care of cuz he's the bread winner. Kid gets sick? I pick them up. Kids off school? I'm home with them. Doctor appts, school things, I'm the one getting them to and from.
I feel held back and held down and I miss the road so badly and this time I wanna do it on my own.
Any advice on how to handie this? I feel like if I lay it all out, the pros as well as cons, maybe he'll come around. Last time I mentioned it, I said it would bring in more money. We struggle and punching a clock really just depresses me. I'm pretty obsessed about getting my CDL. I think about it ALL the time. The road is calling me..!! But if he doesnt come around, I'm afraid I may just proceed onward....
Thanks

you will need to set up and hold someone to the kids care while on the road. maybe HIS ex, maybe your folks.

but he needs to know the kids are with someone that he can feel safe/comfortable with.

once that is "set up" go and get your CDL on your own. part time, full time schooling, whatever.

once you obtain your CDL, he either accepts that you are now licensed or not. if he cannot stand that thought of you on the road, then you and he have a serious conclusion to come to.

either stay together or break up.

not much else i can think of for you to get out under the burden he has basically put onto you.

good luck.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, the only thing you seem to be unsure of is are you going to keep your boyfriend. It seems to me that he was replaceable from day one, after all there has been no legal or religious commitment to each other. Your kids are taken care of and if you care about his kids (I assume you do) then as GA said, set up care and move on.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 11-13-2021, 07:53 AM
Rookie

First of all I would think about children. Make sure they are with safe people. Then you are ready to get your cdl. If he doesn't wish to give you license, you can nothing do with that, just do what your heart tells you. Also If you enjoy road so much, the kid will probably love it too. I bought wooden balance trike on my son's birthday and I recommend you to order this one too. The brand produces high-quality toys, like this wooden trike, that your child will play everyday with. Because getting a license can take some time and your kid will be bored. When I go away for days or even weeks and mom has many household chores, my kid usually spends his energy riding his bike and he doesn't disturb anyone.

Last edited by WarrenTee; 11-15-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:33 PM
Rookie

So what eventually happened? I have the same situation and can't decide what will be better.