User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 9 year old driver

We hear so much about the downside of children riding along, thought this was a touching story.

CHEHALIS, Wash. -- A 9-year-old boy jumped behind the wheel of the moving tractor-trailer his father was driving after his dad suddenly lost consciousness, reported KIRO 7 Eyewitness News.

The Lewis County man said his son his a hero.

The father and son were in St. Helens, Ore. when Matthew Lovo’s father passed out. They had just picked up a load of lumber and were pulling 104,000 pounds of weight.

“My dad was talking to my mom, and he fell right here (the drivers seat) with his seatbelt on,” explained Lovo.

Lovo said he had been a passenger in his dad’s truck many times, but Tuesday was the first time he had to drive it.

Lovo said he tried to wake his father.

When his father didn’t awaken, the boy got behind the truck’s wheel, grabbed the CB radio and called for help.

The driver who answered told him to turn off the key. He slowly guided the semi to the sidewalk, then a man jumped in and put the vehicle in park.

Matt Lovo, the boy’s father, said he remembers nothing.

“I don’t remember him driving. I don’t remember Mr. Howard getting in the truck, and I don’t remember being taken out of the truck,” said Matt.

Matt said he knows what a special son he has.

“There’s no words to describe how proud I am of him and what an honest hero he is in every sense of the word,” said Matt.

The truck hit a power pole, but no one was injured.

Matt said his doctors still don't know why he passed out and said he won't drive his truck again until he gets some answers.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Board Icon

Man! That's cool!

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 08-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Senior Board Member

We don't always realize how much our children learn by watching us.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln