User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
repete, hope those solar panels work out for ya. I have seen nothing but trashy reviews from folks who had high hopes for them only to be seriously disappointed by their performance and lack of longevity, in particular the one's that HF sells.

House work and making book cases were my hobby, now it's chasing a 100 mph toddler around the house.
I thought long and hard about the HF panels, but then got $100 in HF gift cert.'s and cought it on sale so ended up costing about $70. Not much to lose!
As far as toddlers go I have 6 grandkids now ranging from 5mo-11yrs, sometimes it's tought to keep em straight! I do some wood working , got all the equipment execpt for the time. I did make a bunch of Christmas gifts for last year and want to fire up the lathe and make some candle sticks and bowls for this year. (better get started soon)
FISHIN??? OMG I haven't dropped a line in years. I did take my oldest grandson up to the pond last summer and let him catch some bluegills. Had to really scrounge around to find my tackle box.
More later!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Board Icon

Good deal on the HF gift cards, not like your out the $70 per se if it doesn't work out. Let us know if you can. What I had read was that their panels only gave off enough power to light up 1 plug-in night light or charge a laptop. It was almost a basic trickle charge system, very trickle were the complaints even on the "Best" models. Maybe the Harry Homeowners didn't have a clue how to hook them up and did it wrong?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Senior Board Member

I bought a 45 watt panel system, should be plenty of power considering I've got two deep cycle batt. there now and only use them on weekends. The panels will be chargeing them all week so dead batterys shouldn't be a problem. I also have the generator wired so when I run it it charge the 12 volt system thru a couple of diodes so nothing backfeeds.
Is that toddler your's or a grandkid? I just kinda assumed you are an old fart like me but not quit as old as Roadie

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-14-2014, 12:33 AM
Board Icon

I feel like an old fart some days but no, in my early 30's, he's mine. He more than proves it some days.

Sounds like your setup would work in theory, like I said, maybe the complaints were fools who had no business doing it themselves. I know I see a lot of that on Lowes, complaints, I read them and just shake my head at the comedy gold!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Senior Board Member

I know just enough about electricity to get myself into trouble . My dad used to be the guy to turn to but he's gone now so I have to fall back on my memory..what were we talking about? I used to be pretty good and even new alot of the National Electric Code but that was in 1982! Sometimes I'm like Homer Simpson, to learn something new something old has to fall out!

Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
I know just enough about electricity to get myself into trouble . My dad used to be the guy to turn to but he's gone now so I have to fall back on my memory..what were we talking about?
does this help you remember?

Old 03-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Senior Board Member

When I got home for the weekend yesterday, I had a bunch of packages waiting on me for the lighting - everything except for the new fuse panel (scheduled to arrive today). I put a couple more light strips on the camper (front and rear beds to light up underneath when the beds are open). I tried to get more done yesterday, but the wind was blowing 25-30mph steady all day. Woke up this morning to heavy rain, so the back yard is a swamp now. Not sure if I'll be able to get anything done today or not.

I still have to run the new power feed from the battery to the new fuse panel. I'm running 8-gauge wire, with a 40-amp main fuse at the battery. The fuse panel is a 12 circuit layout. That panel is going to feed all the different light circuits, plus some new 12v power outlets I'm installing throughout the camper (to charge phones and such). I'm mounting 2 12v outlets (cigarette lighter style) plus a dual-port usb charger on the outside front wall of the camper, which is where a small table normally sits when we set up. Those outlets are marine grade and have rubber covers for them. In 2 other locations inside, I'm installing a 12v outlet plus a dual-port usb charger.

Right now, I'm setting it up so that there will be a 2-gang camper OEM switch inside the door to turn the lights on/off. One is for the step lights and the other simply turns the controller for the main lights on/off. My overall plan is to put another switch plate with a switch for each individual light circuit. I want it to look "factory" when it's done, but I haven't decided exactly how many sets of lights I want to install yet. Right now, I have 3, but am thinking of adding another 2 to 5 sets. I won't know for sure until I get it out and see how it looks as-is.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Board Icon

"Pimp My Camper"
Old 03-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
does this help you remember?

Honestly YES! i was about 5 or 6 when I found the neatest tool! It was a pair of my dad's wire cutters. When dad got home he sat down in his chair to read and clicked on the lamp, hmm
bulb must be blown, after changing it it still didn't work it didn't take long to narrow the problem down to me.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member

My daughter has an incredibly expensive hobby, but she's extremely good at it. She's a very talented magician. Anytime she comes within ten feet of me, all of the money in my wallet suddenly DISAPPEARS!!