User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default GREAT DRIVING MANEUVER

A long time ago, I used to own a 1980 Camero. Well, one day I'm driving down a two lane highway at a fast speed. When all of a sudden I see the blue lights in my rear view mirror.

I'm driving in the passing lane, as I watch the state trooper getting closer, and closer. I'm thinking I can't get a ticket, I've got to figure a way out of this one.

I look ahead of me, and in the right lane there are two big rigs going along, and a rotary ahead, with an off ramp on the right.

Well, I timed it perfectly, I drove along got into position to squeeze between the big rigs on my right, thus not giving the state trooper any room to pull in behind me...

Then my next great move, was knowing the off ramp was coming up on my right. I simply pulled off the highway up onto the exit ramp.

The state trooper was driving so fast, he couldn't slow down in time to pull off to the right to follow me, and instead he was forced to just fly right by the big rigs, and didn't have a chance to make that off ramp.

It was the funniest driving maneuver you've ever seen. It was beautiful... It was like something you would have seen out of the movie Smokey, and the Bandit.

I just laughed my x.x.x off, when I took the ramp, and watched the cruiser just fly right by...

I thought to myself, that the state Trooper was probably cursing himself out, for driving so fast, he couldn't slow down in time to follow me off to the right, and up the exit ramp... :lol:

You had to be there to see it... It was beautiful... :lol: :wink:

Old 05-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

.....ummm...isn't this supposed to be about Factual Stories?

FliblaabillLaDaladeedada...Blaa..Blaaa..fillbibibb le..braffffiddle-dee Blaaah
Old 05-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: GREAT DRIVING MANEUVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven
You had to be there to see it... It was beautiful... :lol: :wink:
It was also highly illegal, and could have landed you in jail.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Glad you are proud of yourself and you're bad driving.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Board Icon

And dangerous as he!!. Cutting off a big rig like that. Thought this was going to end up like the one of the kid in Arizona who smashed headlong into the back of the semi in his stolen 'Vette.

Running from the cops ain't smart in the first place, you will never outrun that radio.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Senior Board Member

It is unfortunate that everyone seems to picture the worst in everything.

I never cut off a big rig, and NO ONE was ever put in danger. I'm not that kind of person.

Considering I had a younger sibling run down, and killed at age 12, while simply trying to walk across a street. I would never do anything in a motor vehicle that would put either myself, or anyone else in harms way. :x

There was at least a 3 car length of space for me to transfer safely to the right lane. You think I want to get killed, or crushed by a Big Rig?... You've got to be kidding me... :?

The reason the state trooper couldn't do the same was because he was driving at such a high rate of speed, there was no way he could slow down in time to negotiate the lane transfer.

Also I would like to say that everyday where I live you are taking your life in your hands traveling any of the roadways here, including the Highways. Everytime I travel the highways here, there isn't one vehicle that obeys the speed limits, including the "BIG RIGS"...

In fact you ARE taking your life in your hands, if you don't "go with the flow of traffic" (speed rates), on the major highways here (which average at 70 MPH, with a posted speed limit of either 55 MPH, or 65 MPH. I've had several Big Rigs come barrelling up behind me, trying to force me out of the lane, because I wasn't going fast enough for them... :roll: :x

I'm sure you know of Truck Drivers who have done this to little 4 wheelers, and you don't have those CB radios in your trucks just for chit chat... So, don't go getting so self rightous... :roll: :x

Heck, I can't even walk in my own town, and come to a marked crosswalk to cross the street, without drivers refusing to stop, and let you walk across the street!

Also, I was severely injured in an auto accident that I was not at fault for several years ago. I was stopped in traffic, and was sandwiched by a reckless driver who plowed into the back of my vehicle, and pushed me into the vehicle in front of me. I have permanent injuries I will never recover from, and pain I will live with the rest of my life. Having my spine busted up in 3 different places. So, don't think for a minute that I would ever do anything reckless in a motor vehicle.

In fact since having my back busted up, I have a big fear of reckless drivers who tail gate you down the road, come speeding up behind you on the highways, or try to cut you off on the roadways, or run red lights cutting you off.

Because the next time someone tries to run me down on the roadways, I could end up paralyzed, or worse, and frankly, I don't want to find out... :x

Old 05-23-2007, 10:27 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

3 car lengths at 60 M.P.H. is very, very little. But still, you can't really think you wouldn't get hammered on this, can you? You were speeding, you cut through traffic, and you were guilty of evasion. Not something to be proud of.

I did some stupid things while I was growing up, including some nifty driving of my own, but those are things I'm certainly not proud of and I consider myself lucky I wasn't ticketed or worse.

You're posting this in a trucker's forum, where the majority of the drivers have enough close calls every day. People die doing what you did. So, I wouldn't say they are self-righteous...I'd say they were justifiably peeved.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Senior Board Member

I never said I was PROUD of that maneuver. Other people are making that statement.

I would bet money there isn't a driver out there that hasn't done some kind of maneuver whether they smoked their tires in their car when they were young drivers, or did donuts in a parking lot, or elsewhere, when they were teen drivers.

Like I said, that maneuver I did when I was younger, and your right I can understand some of the people on here getting upset with such a maneuver.

I can also say that unfortunately there are several Truck drivers who don't do so well on the roadways, either.

Where I live, there is at least one big rig a week rolling over on a local highway off ramp. The truckers all know these hazardous off ramps if they've traveled these roads long enough. I would think that through communicating over their CB's, they would also have passed on this information, so that they don't continue to happen.

Yet, I can watch local television news, and watch at least one story a week on a Big Rig that has either rolled over on an off ramp, or that has plowed into the back of 4 wheeler on an interstate highway.

I actually changed careers to avoid having to drive the local highways here. They are simply to dangerous for everyone who dares to drive them... Then again I live in a state with one of the highest rates of road rage, auto accidents, etc...

I avoid the "bad spots", as much as possible, believe me... Watching the nightly news, you wonder, o.k. so who died today on their way to, or from work... It is really tragic, and I feel the same way some of the members here do. I don't like having to deal with the bad drivers out there either.

I'm much older now, and I've actually witnessed people die on the road. I've missed being killed myself on a couple of occasions. One occasion a car in front of me on a side road was 2 car lengths in front of me. A young guy driving his new (at the time) Mustang, came barrelling over a hill in the opposite direction at an estimated 80 MPH, in a 40 MPH posted speed road. He caught a curb, and his mustang sharply veered across the opposite side of the road, and slammed into the car in front of me.

The guy he hit was in an old (70's model) Monte Carlo. The Mustang hit him at an angle head on. I had glass carved streaks up the hood of my own car from the impact and projection of flying parts. I tried to help get the guy who had been driving in front of me out of his car, he was pinned, with his face smashed into the dash of his Monte Carlo. The seats wouldn't budge, and the only movement I saw from him was when I told him to hang on, help was on the way, and he raised his hand that was resting on the dashboard slightly, then didn't move anymore... He died that night, and the guy in the Mustang died instantly, and his Mustang had split in half, with the back portion propelled through the air, just missing my own car. The guy in the Monte Carlo who was hit, and killed is buried in the same cemetery my younger sibling is buried in as well.

Believe me I've seen enough death both on, and off the road, related to motor vehicles, that I'm definitely not a fan of reckless driving...

But, you have to also acknowledge from reading the boards, there are those who get speeding tickets, and other motor vehicle violations, so there are no perfect people on these boards...

Old 05-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I was coming home one night from work and hit some black ice on the on ramp for I-39 off of I-80 EB. I was driving an old 85 prelude and all of a sudden I was in a spin I ended up doing a 900 degree spin in the road and somehow kept it on the road. I had a Yellow driver stop on the ramp behind me and check on me I was stopped in the lane and I needed to pee and I did not care were. He goes I wish I had a camera that way I could send it in to wildest videos and win you and me some cash how you stayed on the road is beyond me. Redraven the way you describe it yes you took a chance but you also did it safely the cop was going way to fast to make the exit. That is the only reason you did not get a ticket.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven
I never said I was PROUD of that maneuver. Other people are making that statement.

The title of the thread is:

GREAT DRIVING MANEUVER

Now, let's examine that statement. The subject of that statement is you. The adjective is GREAT. In summary, YOU did something GREAT, yet you state that you are not PROUD of it?

Here's a new word for you...INCONGRUENT :shock: