User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hauling overloaded whatever happened to those days?

Pulling flatbeds and dump trailers most of my life just curious about who out here in the "realworld" were paid by the load and not mile and used to run over to make some real money. I guess to me it was the challenge or rush whatever, not that I had to do but I just wanted to. Blasting scales or going around them was kind of a challenge, but there was always some big mouth in the crowd who'd rat on ya'. I'm sure there are several out here who has some stories/episodes whatever they can remember and now look back and think was I crazy or stupid? I started driving in 1984 I'd just turnred 21 and started for a company who basically said " You wanna drive a truck? Take that old GMC out there with that grain trailer go up to the license place get your license come back we'll put you to work".Trucking cos. didn't train you in them days if you wasn't 25 y/o with 2 years exp. they wouldn't talk to you period. You didn't ride with trainers for 6 weeks or have steeringwheel holder acadamies whatever you went down the road and got your education on the c.b. from the older hands(whom you treated with respect) or trial and error. If you wasn't a smartass or know it all it paid you to listen. Anyhow I got nailed at a scalehouse in Illinois at Litchfield on I 55 the last report I got someone said they was closed and you know the rest of the story $2600.00 later. Did I learn anything? Find someone going the same direction let them safely get ahead of you go to another channel and let them give you the report and thank em' later with a cup of coffee whatever.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Board Regular

-p.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Rookie

Oh I must not of used my literacy skills ........sorry! :twisted: [/url]
Old 01-05-2007, 03:02 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightprwlr
Oh I must not of used my literacy skills ........sorry! :twisted: [/url]
Don't worry about his post-go on

back in the day we used to Trip Lease alot of Loads and a buddy of mine trip leased a load of steel in Indiana.
Got caught carrying 140,000#s and that was with the old 48' flatbed.
back then the DOT pretty much left everybody alone unless something like this happened. Got a Monstrous fine and the company was on the DOT S...t list for A LONG Time :P
Old 01-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Board Icon

Society today has wisened up that it isn't very safe to be going down the road with such large loads, not with the amount of passenger cars on the roads these days. It also doesn't help the roadways when they have to stand up to those loads unless they have it distributed over enough axles. Asphalt will buckle under too much weight, especially if it's summer time.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Rookie

There used be a hwy 7 in western MO. that ran between I-70 and U.S.50 and I remember loading grain out in the sticks near there in a covered wagon. I was following another driver up that hwy in July of that year they had Just finished paving the road I remember seeing ruts i the road now that you mentioned it.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Rookie

I ran for several "outlaw" companies in my "crazy days". One of the places was running bulk potatoes from CO to TX, we were paid by the 100 lb. So of course we were overloaded 99% of the time. There were 6 of us o/o and we had an unofficial contest to see who could haul the most weight and not get caught.

I got lucky...I was caught with only 6,000 lbs. over (86,000 gross). Some of the others weren't so lucky. One driver had 120,000 gross and the bottom of the trailer broke in half. Talk about a pile of mashed potatoes!!!

Looking back I really wonder what I was thinking but they are fond memories now.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:19 PM

Unfortunately my brother does not do computers, because he has stories for you. He actually learned how to drive at 16. When they came out with the CDL he was still too young and couldn't be grandfathered in, even though he had 5 or 6 years experience.

He us-ta haul trash from Long Island (and sometimes out of Lynn, MA) to PA and OH. His preferred trailer was a dry van(A little easier to conceal the fact that you are a trash hauler, 'cause you know the DOT love those trash haulers).

On a side note, I do the Lynn, MA run every once and a while and he has shown me a few tricks. I do not run overweight however, there is not enough money to be made these days. When my brother was doing it he was getting upwards of $72 a ton. Now It ranges from $28 to $32 a ton(at least with my company).

My only story is I was coming out of Lynn, MA and was grossed at 79,900 (it was actually higher but still legal, I just don't remember the actual weight). And that was the night that the 72 hour blitz started, this was last year. My route was 90w to 84w through Connecticut, down to 81s to 80w. After weighing my trailer ended up being over a 1000 over and there was nothing I could do. Moving things around only moved the extra weight. After a brief discussion, we decided to leave the weight on the trailer.

I got my self to Milton, PA, where I fueled, updated my book, applied the tips my brother showed me and took an hour and a half nap. Got up did my pre-trip, got coffee and headed off knowing what had started at midnight, it was know 2am. I tell you what though, I never seen that Milton, PA Petro so packed before. So, I got on the road, paranoid of course, (only been driving about 2 months at the time) and headed towards Ohio. To my amazement, not one pickle park was open, completely devoid of any big trucks, but no signs flashing. Not even a bear in sight the entire ride.

Got to Ohio, went around the Girard scale, stopped at Petro for some breakfast(before I discovered Mr Fuel, descent food for a truck stop). and went on my merry way down to the Waynesburg landfill to deliver my load.

My company, like most these days, is not worth the risk.

I am a "moon bat" and proud of it.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Rookie

Back when I took a break from otr,I was driving tandem dump truck.We were paving a state highway and this job paid by the ton.I was legal at 14 ton but I was hauling 16.Got pulled over and ticketed.Went back for my next load and I was going to go down to 14 ton but the plant operator talked me into stayin at 16 ton. Well low an behold I got pulled over AGAIN by the same dot and received another ticket!!! Both tickets were in the span of apprx. 2 hrs.My boss paid em,I didn't have to. I was ready to snap!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Board Regular

Well I'll add my over weight Story here also.

I was driving a Flat Bed with a small crane on it so I could unload at my drops. After my last drop of 11 stops, I had my first and last back haul since I was driving for this Company. I hauld Tombstones to Funeral Homes and GraveYards. Spooky uh? Well I was in Tx and had to pick up a Granite Block just north of Waco, Tx. After Loading, I looked to see where the closest Cat scale was at or any scales so I could wight out. I did not find one close by, and the closest was a few hundred miles away. There may been some but I failed to see any. Well when I scaled out, I was 1000 lbs over gross.

After I called my boss told him I was over gross. And I was a distance from the Pit where I got it. He said run with it and if I got ticketed, they would pay the fine. Well I was getting paid for all Miles driven so I decided to see if I can go around the scales when Possible. I got around Shriveport Scale no problem. and turned out it was the only one open between there and Home in Georgia.

I was told where to park it, but later they changed their mind and had me park at the a Trucking company yard and they would have a Driver to put it in the door. They had another employee turn a truck over going intthere. so they did not want me to do it. Ok with me. it was a Hill in the wrong angle for a 50,000 lb Rock on the trailer.