Trucking Costs Rising
Trucker shortages and resulting competitive wages are driving trucking costs upward. The American Transportation Research Institute has found that trucking average operating costs are on the rise. The average cost per mile in 2013 weighed in at $1.68, five cents more expensive than 2012. The ATRI also attributes the difference to greater carrier costs like equipment and labor, as well as secondary costs such as toll road charges and employee health benefits.
Tracy Morgan v. Wal-Mart
Both sides of Tracy Morgan’s lawsuit against Wal-Mart Transportation continue to point fingers after initial court hearings. Wal-Mart responded to Morgan’s allegations claiming that the actor's injuries were "caused, in whole or in part, by plaintiffs' failure to properly wear an appropriate available seat belt restraint device”. Truck driver Kevin Roper still faces a legal battle for allegedly being awake more than 24 hours at the time of the accident. The crash comedian killed James McNair, and injured three others, including comedian Tracy Morgan last July.
Top 10 Trucking Events This Fall
10. The National Industrial Transportation League Conference and TransComp Exposition | November 15-19, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
9. North American Natural Gas Vehicle Conference and Expo | November 11-14, Kansas City, MO
8. National Tank Truck Carriers Tank Truck Week | November 10-12, Houston, TX
7. Used Truck Association Annual Convention | November 5-7, Scottsdale, AZ
6. The 7th Annual Integer Emissions Summit and Diesel Exhaust Fluid Forum | October 28-30, Chicago, IL
5. ATA Safety Management Council Safety and Human Resources National Conference and Exhibition | October 28-30, Orlando, FL
4. Telogis Conference | October 27-29, Dana Point, CA
3. 2014 Surface Transportation Summit | October 15, Toronto, ON
2. Sixth International DME Conference | October 7-9, San Diego, CA
1. ATA Management Conference and Exhibition | October 4-7, San Diego, CA