User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I'm a female studying to take CDL.

Ladies I'm currently a Surgical Tech been doing so for 22yrs. I want a career change. I come from a line of truckers. My dad and both brothers use to drive over the road. Dad no longer with us, brothers have taken on different careers. I'm 51yrs old who rides Harleys and love driving since i was 14yrs old. I'm leaving my job of 18yrs due to burn out. I want a job thats out doors and will allow me to travel. Kids are grown and living out of state. I guess my question to the lady drivers. Is 51 to old to begin a trucking career?? I see plenty of job listings looking for drivers and i see the $$ is not bad. Just looking for some feed back. Ive been reading a CDL study book i picked up from the DMV and taking the practice test online. I really would like some infomation regarding women on the road as a trucker. Thanks Ladies. Hope to get some feed back soon.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Senior Board Member

I've been called a lot of thing but never a lady! Lot more guy's around here then women as this is still "a man's job". 51 isn't to old for this but with that in mind you might not even consider flatbeds or even some tank jobs cause the heavy hoses. I recommend hooking up with a good dry van company that does not expect drivers to load/unload, that way you can concentrate on safe driving and not so much worrying about reefer temps or straps and chains ect. After awhile if you want to get into that kinda thing then you got the driving down pat.
Just a quick FYI about getting along out here, lots of guys will be looking at you if you dress and act like a professional driver most will treat like one on the other hand if you dress and act flirty they'll treat you like a lot lizard.
Hope you do well and good luck.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-27-2015, 03:58 PM
Rookie

Thank you much. I really appreciate the recommedtions. I will for sure look into Flatbeds, Tank jobs and Dry van. Im far from flirty. My mind is on making $$. Nothing more. Im living in Illionis but looking to relocate to California within the next 3 to 4 years. I want to have a CDL before i relocate. Can you point me to a great trucking school. or any recommendtions as to the best way to optain my CDL. I'm reading the handbook thats super thick and paid to take the practice test onling to prepare myself for the writen test. I just need some guildance on the next move. Thank you for replying repete.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:27 PM
Rookie

I think a lot of females are scared to get into trucking because of the men. I am very feminine and don't have nearly as many problems as i taught i would. Of course they look and once in a blue get the nerve to hit on me, but other than that they treat me very respectable. And i think you misunderstood you should stay away from tankers and flat beds, stick to dry vans. Schools are a matter of choice and cost most schools teach you the same information. My school actually provided a class for the written test which made it way easier than reading book. Also there are free test sites that are very similar to dmv test. Also it would be go to check with the schools placement rate after graduation.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Senior Board Member

I ment stay away from tanks and flats so you can concentrate on honing your driving skills, the vast majority of trailers out there are dry vans and reefers so thats where most jobs are. On the other hand dry vans also pay the least with reefer a little more then tank or flats ect. Vans are the easiest to learn.
Schools? no idea out there, BUT when looking for a job you will get hired in more places if you attend a PTDI certified school.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are quite a few women who have gotten in this industry since I started. A few years ago I ran into a woman who was in her 50's or perhaps early 60's who was doing flats. She did well with the tarps, but I would suggest starting with vans. I am not familiar with schools in your area, but check around for programs at community colleges or state vocational schools. Those will cost less, but may take longer to complete. There are a number of private driving schools around the country. As stated above, make sure that the school is certified. One aspect lacking at some schools is the actual seat time or driving. Keep in mind that the goal of most schools is to only get you to a point of getting the CDL. Your real learning will come once you start working for a carrier. There are a few carriers who will help you obtain your CDL and train you at no cost, but you will need to sign an employment contract where you agree to work for them for usually a year or repay them for their training. There are people much older than you who have gotten into this business and gone on to have successful careers. I am sure you will do just fine. We don't have a lot of women on the forum, but I am sure some of them will chime in. 4 Roses has been a member of this forum for many years and has a lot of trucking experience. There are a few others who also have a number of years experience. This is one of the few career options where you can usually work as long as you want as long as you can pass the dot physical and have a clean mvr. Good luck to you.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

GMAN… from the time you started driving.. dirt has changed color.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:01 AM
Rookie

Hey, BlqOnyx2012. Kudos to you for taking the initiative and making a bold career change at this point in your life! Have you taken the CDL general knowledge written test yet? If you're still studying for your cdl, these practice tests might help.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
GMAN… from the time you started driving.. dirt has changed color.

I don't know, Roadhog. It still looks the same to me. I guess I just don't like a lot of change.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:25 PM
Rookie

Keep in mind any medical conditions as well before making the move! If your BP is over 140 systolic, or your blood sugar runs over 130 or so, you won't get a medical card. I have seen a lot of people go through the process and then not be able to get cleared for a job. I'm also curious why you would pay to take practice tests since there are so many free ones out there online.

All in all, women do very well in this industry as far as I have seen. When I first started back in the 70s, they were all spouses, but today, there's a new culture of women drivers on the road, many of them supporting families at home. One piece of advise if you do get out on the road is, don't assume someone is hitting on you just because they offer to help. Yeah, there are a lot of total and complete jugheads out there, but there are more professional drivers. You can usually expect someone to come over and try and help if they see something you're struggling with something, especially the older gents...

Congrats on your decision! I hope it all works out for you.