User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Classicxl, 'bout the only legal weapon a commercial driver can carry, is something like a dog! A tire-thumper against a gun is no match. A tire-thumper against some kind of chemical sprayed into the sleeper vents is no match.

But, since our occupation takes us into situations we can't control, we deserve some kind of dispensation in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations which permit us to protect ourselves.

The most frightening moment I've had was in Cleveland. 6:30 AM, and folks are coming to work. I'm backed in to the dock. Big, mean, angry, looking black dude walking by says to me "Yo, dude. That's the wrong name to have on your truck!". Turns out the the name of the company I drove for at that time, is also the name of a rival gang in that neighborhood.

So, I'm left wondering if I will be dodging sniper fire on my way out of that part of town.

So, there I am with a tire-thumper against who-knows-what kind of fire-power, just wantin' to get out of that part of Dodge and get on with the business of earning a living.

If I'm engaged in the task of delivering goods and services to all parts of this nation, please allow me to defend myself against the crazies that I encounter.

Since 9/11, pilots on commercial aircraft now have the right to carry guns. Why can't I?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

the freedom to bear arms but honestly tell me you want every truck driver in america to carry a gun. Who is going to do the training to prepare people who have never fired a weapon in there lives. Then you have a whole bunch of folks who dont believe in firearms so how do they protect themselves. Crime is not that rampant at truckstops just to many stories being embelleshed by others
Old 09-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicxl
the freedom to bear arms but honestly tell me you want every truck driver in america to carry a gun.
No, I would like to see every willing adult, tained and allowed to carry where ever and when ever they desire, just like the Constitution says. There is no fear involved, just prepardness. You carry insurance on your vehicle, are you "scared" you are going to get in an accident?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member

now your talking apples and oranges. People many years before any of us were born gave up there rights because they did not go vote and were scared by the powers to be about crime. So here we are in today's world where you have to get permits to carry a pistol and in some states that is not going to get it. states say you cant carry a weapon across there state line. People need to get involved to get there rights back but with the generation of liberals and sheep that have been raised good luck on that
Old 09-27-2006, 04:04 AM
Rookie

First, there is the issue of *option* to carry arms.

Then there is the issue of the *right to carry arms*".
OK. I'm a professiional driver,and I don't wan't to carry a firearm.
OK. Don't carry one. Make it clearly understood between you and your employer that, as a condition of employment, you will not carry a firearem. Your empoyer has no qualms about stating conditions of employent: neither should you!

Become an ajitator. If the gonverment will not give you the rigit of self defense, then DEMAND gonvernment defense of you!

You have the right to vote, if you are a citizen. Then excersice your vote. Vote for those persons who will support you in your bid for self defense. Vote against those who will not support your bid for self defense.

The folks who want public office want to impose their view of life upon all others. The only way they can get there is if we vote them into office. We can just as easily vote them out of office. We can dictate to them just what their view of life should be, according to our majority view.

Give us the right to defend ourselves, or, enact laws which provide for our defense.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Rookie

And even if the only protection you have is a dog, in many locations, if that dog bites anyone, you can be held liable on charges of assault and battery.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:33 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Well, I'm afraid my vote goes against carrying a firearm in a CMV. Back in about 2000, in Indiana, several CB RAMBO's were having at it. You know the routine... "PULL IT OVER RIGHT NOW, AND I'LL SHOW YOU" The guy that pulled it over (I think it was Covenant) did so to relieve some bladder pressure. He knew nothing about any rambos. North American pulled it over right behind him, got out and crossed to the shoulder... And put two 9-MM slugs into Covenant's driver's chest, then got back into his truck and left. That happened about the 60 mile marker, or so. The police caught up with North American at about the 120 mile marker. Covenant was flown to the hospital by chopper.

If they allow guns in CMV's, who do you suppose is going to be the first to arm themselves? And, what do you suppose those RAMBOs are going to do with them? NO GUNS IN TRUCKS!!!!!

There are enough other alternatives that you DO NOT NEED ONE THAT BAD.
Ok how many times have u heard of that happening???
Well I drive local and pick up cash for my deliveries. In the FIRST 6 months of doing this I was robbed TWICE!!! Two Mclane food service drivers here in memphis were robbed and KILLED not long ago. A pepsi driver, and an HT Hackney driver were robbed at gunpoint. When I drove over the road, I picked up "high value" loads every once in a while. When I picked them up I wasnt allowed to stop for 200 miles b/c people would wait till a truck got loaded then follow them till they stop and then rob them. If an amored car can carry guns we should also be allowed to. We often carry the same load value maybe sometimes more!!! I drive a truck to feed and support my wife and 3 kids...I want to go to work and make an honest living, not be killed and not be able to come home to them!!! If your worried about "CB Rambo's" shooting you...when they start with their childish trash talkin...TURN OFF THE CB!!! Your CB does have an OFF button doesnt it??? And besides I dont really care about a LAW i would rather be caught by DOT with a gun than be caught without it by a thieving murderer!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Senior Board Member

You really don't think those aren't carrying anyway, do you? You are much safer on the road because bad guys think you may be carrying. You are deriving the benifits from the actions of the ones that do carry. You are safer because of them. Have you hugged your gun today?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
You really don't think those aren't carrying anyway, do you? You are much safer on the road because bad guys think you may be carrying. You are deriving the benifits from the actions of the ones that do carry. You are safer because of them. Have you hugged your gun today?
They were not worried about me carrying when they robbed me in my truck twice...Ive never been robbed at home...but either way I feel alot better carrying at home and on the road.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicxl
There is no reason to be carrying a gun on a truck. You what you have tire thumper baseball bat whatever lock your doors get a dog and if your still scared your in the wrong profession
U obviously havent been robbed yet huh??? When u do get robbed u may think u are in the wrong profession!!! When u have a big GLASS window, a criminal wont even bother with a door lock. And if the criminal has a gun what is ur dog gonna do, eat his gun???