User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Considering Trucking! Can anyone advise me?

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 38-year-old woman. Never been married, don't have kids or a boyfriend. Due to a lack of jobs here in town that have to do with my particular background, I'm seriously considering going into trucking.

I have a few questions though.

1. Anyone work for, or have been trained by Hiner Transport, Huntington Indiana? I'm going to be talking to them in April about opportunities they have.

2. Any truckers out there who are single and have pets at home? I think I have a reliable neighbor who can pop in and take care of my dog, but I'd like to know what arrangements you have with at-home pets.

3. If a company lists weekends off in their newspaper ads, how reliable is that?

4. What companies allow you to take your pets with you? I would probably go into trucking this summer if I could find a company that would train me and allow my dog to come with me, after six months of OTR experience or whatever.

5. How many of you have read "Driver" by Phillip Wilson? I'm about halfway through it, and it makes trucking sound like a pretty cool career choice.

6. Are trucking jobs readily available in Canada, and if so, if I trained down here, will my Class A CDL transfer up there? My ultimate goal is to relocate to Toronto someday, and the $$$ I earn from trucking will be a huge step in making that dream come true.

7. How dangerous is trucking for solo women drivers?

8. If I go with a company that pays for my training, and I decide not to do it, will they demand I pay them right away, or can I do a payment plan?

Any help anyone out there can give me would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Considering Trucking! Can anyone advise me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutTrucking
Hi Everyone,

I'm a 38-year-old woman. Never been married, don't have kids or a boyfriend. Due to a lack of jobs here in town that have to do with my particular background, I'm seriously considering going into trucking.

I have a few questions though.

1. Anyone work for, or have been trained by Hiner Transport, Huntington Indiana? I'm going to be talking to them in April about opportunities they have.

2. Any truckers out there who are single and have pets at home? I think I have a reliable neighbor who can pop in and take care of my dog, but I'd like to know what arrangements you have with at-home pets.

3. If a company lists weekends off in their newspaper ads, how reliable is that?

4. What companies allow you to take your pets with you? I would probably go into trucking this summer if I could find a company that would train me and allow my dog to come with me, after six months of OTR experience or whatever.

5. How many of you have read "Driver" by Phillip Wilson? I'm about halfway through it, and it makes trucking sound like a pretty cool career choice.

6. Are trucking jobs readily available in Canada, and if so, if I trained down here, will my Class A CDL transfer up there? My ultimate goal is to relocate to Toronto someday, and the $$$ I earn from trucking will be a huge step in making that dream come true.

8. If I go with a company that pays for my training, and I decide not to do it, will they demand I pay them right away, or can I do a payment plan?

Any help anyone out there can give me would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!!
I will try and do the best I can on number 8 they mainly demand payment now then send your butt to collections and charge you 27 percent interest on it. even if you quit the day befor your indentured serevitude is up.
7. Probly no more then a mans safety. I do understabd the fear some women have. But for the most part I have knowen a lot single women trucks and they have had no problems.

thats the best I can do hope all works out for you.

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Inter arma silent leges

Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es
Old 03-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
No, I have not but there are a good list of companies that hire right out of driving school. I started out with Covenant, they sucked hard, disorganized, never got me home, lied constantly, my trainer had 6 months driving experience and I thought I would never live thru the training period (3 weeks/shortest of any company), I went with them in the beginner cause I didnt have access to a board like this and I just didn't know any better, thier recruiting was good and they paid the best out the gate. I was with them almost 8mos and then switched to Werner Enterprises, ran team with them and finished learning to drive and they always came thru with hometime, limited as it was, but at least no out and lies. The pay was good too and they gave me a brand new truck of my choice.

Werner has an excellent training program, they take very good care of thier equipment and have state of the art training center, including one of the few simulators.

Quote:
Most companies require a deposit but you see drivers with dogs, cats, ferrets, parots, hehe snakes, etc. Lots of women solo and have thier dogs with them.

Quote:
Kinda depends on the company, the best way to find this out is prolly to ask questions of drivers of a specific company. You can post here and ask or go to a major truck stop and try and talk to some of the company drivers.

Quote:
See my answer to number 2. Most companies won't allow it during your training period but after that, its your truck, with deposit, its common. Ask your recruiter and make sure they know this is a "must" for you.

Quote:
I have not read it but I was a real estate agent, I owned a computer/web server company, I was a engereering draftsman, a roofer and mother of six. And I love being a truck driver, its not all wine and roses, its hard work and is challanging mentally and physically but I make very good money, I did ok as a company driver and then when I had learned the ropes I bought my own truck.

Quote:
Not real sure about this, I do know that Werner services Canada and so do alot of other companies, so I would say yes.

Quote:
Its as dangerous as it is to live alone, you have to always be aware of your surroundings, be careful and do not put yourself in a position to be a victim but I find it as safe as everyday life.

Quote:
They will want to get paid immediately, with major interest. I found it cheaper to pay for a accredited driving school and I put it on my credit card, this way no company owns me, they also have payment plans. Just make sure the driving school you pick is accredited.

I went to driving school, 2 weeks classroom, 2 weeks behind the wheel and got my CDL and then got hired. Major companies will give you a letter of hire while you are in school.

Just do your homework, like you are here, ask alot of questions, cause I didn't have anyone to ask and it was tough my first year. But I survived and I am loving the life!
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@ )
Old 03-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Rookie
Default Talk about weird...

Hi wanna-be trucker, I am one too....

Very odd that I have read your message.... I am 38 years old as well and just last Monday was up at Hiner for a sit with a recruiter! I was with him for about a half an hour getting his horse and pony show. I walked away with quite a bit of info in hand and got to sit with one of the trainers for a bit at lunch drilling him with questions. The recruiter said that when it came to the OTR training portion, they would put me with one of the (few) women trainers that they have. A buddie of mine is in his second week of training with them and says it is OK so far. I talk to him about twice a week and each time he has had nothing but good stuff to talk about. So far, he has been home when they said he would be. You can't really ask for more than that I suppose! I have been studying up for the required CDL course before you are to start your training. The recruiter said that you get 'behind the wheel time' shifting on your first day of training that way.... If I were you, I would go to them and have a sit down.... I was really excited walking away from there and just have to figure out the timing with my current job before I move forward with this! Keep us posted and good luck!

J.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
No, as far as I know you cannot transfer a USA CDL to Canada. Canada has there own set of rules and different classifications on the commercial drivers license.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:43 PM

Yea you'd have to re-test, which shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:22 AM

Thanks everyone, for responding. Jande, I plan to talk to Hiner in April. I called them several weeks ago, and told them I'd like to talk to them; that I'd have some time then to do it.

I'm thinking paying my own way would be better, according to what I've read so far. The lure of having the company pay for my training is tempting, but I worry if something happens and I have to stop my training for an emergency or whatever.

Right now, I'm doing research, trying to figure out what challenges and stuff I'll have to face. The big thing is my dog. If I can get with a company that will let me take her after an initial period of driving, that would be perfect. I could be out on the road for weeks and I wouldn't care. I'm looking at trucking to make some of my dreams come true. I love to drive and can deal with being alone. I know there's more to it than that, but I'm sick of not being able to find a "normal" 9 to 5 job that offers health insurance that pays decently. As it is, I'm working three part-time jobs, and my boss at my daytime job is driving me nuts. Same old story, I guess.

And I will let you know how it goes with Hiner in April (I'll be meeting with them the last week of the month.)

Again, thanks everyone!!!
Old 04-02-2006, 04:30 AM

Well, I had my sit down with Hiner. If I didn't have my dog, I would go with them, as they seemed very professional and safety-conscious.

However, they are not pet-friendly, and that's what I'm looking for in a company.

I will continue to do my research, however. I'm really getting antsy about finding a new career, and hope to find a company soon.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Senior Board Member

hello ThinkingAboutTrucking .... I don't know anything about the company your asking about, but I'll give it my best shot on a couple of other ones ..

on the subject of a pet on the truck ... there's several company's that permit a pet ... if you plan on driving solo a pet would be good company .. as well as a pet will let you know when someone is close to your truck .. Have you looked in this area to check out the company's that permit pets .. For ClassADrivers.com Companies
http://www.classadrivers.com/index.p...ting&ListAll=1

Quote:
I will continue to do my research, however. I'm really getting antsy about finding a new career, and hope to find a company soon.

may i ask you ... do you have family members or friends that drive for a living .. ? .... guess the reason i'm asking is because .... i realize you need to change careers, but do you have a good understanding of what life is like on the road ? ... trucking is a hard job, but it's a wonderful job for the right person.

also as your checking out the company's ... there are some company's that will pay reimbursement toward the money You paid for school while your driving for them ... it may only be an extra $100 a month but it adds up ... especially if your making a payment on a credit card or loan. some company's have sign on bonus too ... which help !

Quote:
I'm thinking paying my own way would be better, according to what I've read so far. The lure of having the company pay for my training is tempting, but I worry if something happens and I have to stop my training for an emergency or whatever.

paying your way through school ... is the best way to do it if at all possible ... because you'll not really know what a company will be like until you start to work for them ... and the last thing a person wants is to be stuck .. with any company. true you want longevity with a company ... but try not to be legally bond to any company.

as for the safety of a female driver running solo ... Exqursite said it very good .
Quote:
Its as dangerous as it is to live alone, you have to always be aware of your surroundings, be careful and do not put yourself in a position to be a victim but I find it as safe as everyday life.

while i was driving solo ... i never had any problems ... safety first and foremost.

Quote:
if a company tells you they will have you home on the weekend ... make certain you get it in writing before your hired on.

good luck and keep asking questions .. we'll do our best to help you find the answers.

4roses

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 04-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Rookie
Default ANSWERS

CRST lets you have pets

You want in the door and you need to write off the next six months...getting in and being taken care of properly should be your main goal...forget about everything else. The first six months are not about what the company can do for you it's about what you can do for the company...just always keep you in mind with every decision...a DOT. rollover and jackknife are easier than you think..and if you are running tired..eventually your luck will run out and you difinitely do not want this your first six months.

my suggestion is that you find someone with experience that you can live with for at least six months and who is willing to train you and get into CRST on their spouse program (you do not need to be married to bring your trainer in with you) your first three weeks are the most important and if you get a trainer that is inexperienced and pushes you too hard it could cost you alot of money so do not take the chance find your own.

My suggestion for this is actually pumpkindriver.com most people after a year with schneider are running out the door and you can find someone decent that already knows how to put up with more than crap than you would ever want and in the Spouse program they can start day#1 as a lead driver/trainer at CRST.

CRST after the first month

I love driving it is an awesome job. It's not that difficult and most of the people in the industry are really good people. You get to see the country and expereince life like you never imagined. But I have already had two experiences that if I had been by myself would have scared me to death. One was a guy trying to steal my load locks at the South Carolina welcome center off 81 and the other was a probable hijacking that we diverted by taking off immediately at the first sign of danger off a road named two gun out west...team driving has a ton of advantages for women and I highly recommend it.

You are extremely vulnerable in this industry and if somebody wants to disable you all they have to do is pull your airline it takes about 3 seconds. I would never just pull off the road if I was by myself. Truck stops can be scary but they are always the safest bet. (They fill up quickly) Even the rest areas can be dangerous...

Go to a school like National training. Company Traing puts you at the mercy of that Company.

I really do believe whole heartedly that CRST is the best company in the industry to start with. They only require a siix month contract and I have had nothing but positive experiences everytime I deal with them.. However I am very reasonable in my expectations and money is not my major goal being safe is although the money is quite ok. The actual knowledge that you work for a good company that doesn't micomanage is better. They are one of the few longhaul frieght companies left. No matter what happens I know I made the right decision when I signed on with these guys six months ago.

After six months to a year you can start looking at other options like what the company is going to do for you. Personally I am quite happy with what CRST does for me.