View Poll Results: can single mom drive with 4 year old?
yes 4 20.00%
probably not 16 80.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 05:27 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Single mom thinking about being a truck driver

I have been toying with this idea, but do not know if it is feasible. Can anyone give me input, please. I want to become a driver, is it possible to take my son with? He is 4 years old, very mellow, and I already homeschool. I think it would be awesome while he is young, to travel and experience different people, etc.. and it would be a good way for me to save money and get a little nest egg going...toward down payment for a house. If we did it, I feel we would be safe, we have a dog that would also be with us. Please reply with input, I know that some will say this is a stupid idea, that my son is too young, but I am not looking for traditional career, and I do not wish to put my son in institutional learning, away from me...so with that in mind there's not many other 'jobs' that offer what trucking could. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Read this. It will give you a good idea about your question.
http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...pic.php?t=9694
Old 08-26-2005, 12:58 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Not a good idea. This topic has been thrown around numerous times before. Do a search and you will find all kinds of information on why it's not a good idea, particularly with a four year old. Where's he going sleep? Where's he going to play? Where's he going to learn how to interact with friends? Where's he going to go when you have to deliver to a plant that absolutely will not let children on their property? When is he going to exercise? So many questions and this is only for starters.

In addition, finding a company that will allow you to take a four year old and a dog is going to be next to impossible. The best advice anyone will give you is to stay home, find a traditional job at least for the next 10 years, and give your son the opportunity to grow up in a normal environment. If you absolutely have to drive, make arrangements for your son to stay with grandparents or relatives, suck it up and let him attend a public school, and take him with you from time to time.

The greatest gift you can give him is a normal childhood, not one cooped up in a truck 24/7.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Not a good idea. This topic has been thrown around numerous times before. Do a search and you will find all kinds of information on why it's not a good idea, particularly with a four year old. Where's he going sleep? Where's he going to play? Where's he going to learn how to interact with friends? Where's he going to go when you have to deliver to a plant that absolutely will not let children on their property? When is he going to exercise? So many questions and this is only for starters.

In addition, finding a company that will allow you to take a four year old and a dog is going to be next to impossible. The best advice anyone will give you is to stay home, find a traditional job at least for the next 10 years, and give your son the opportunity to grow up in a normal environment. If you absolutely have to drive, make arrangements for your son to stay with grandparents or relatives, suck it up and let him attend a public school, and take him with you from time to time.

The greatest gift you can give him is a normal childhood, not one cooped up in a truck 24/7.
Amen!! You couldn't have hit it any more perfect, Twilight Flyer!!
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Rookie

I know this is an old thread, but for those that said it cant be done of course it can. I am a single mom to a 3yo, he is not in school yet. If you find a company whose insurance will allow someone to ride with you under the age of then you can bring your child or you can be a owner operator and can bring anything and anyone you want on the truck. Since I am with accompany who only allows riders over 13yo I have to leave my son with my family (mom, brother, and grandparents all live together)while I am gone. I will be doing this until I finish my degree and have a nice nest egg to rest on. Anyone who has negative comments are more then welcome to come pay my bills but until then (shhhhhhh)!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat2388 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but for those that said it cant be done of course it can. I am a single mom to a 3yo, he is not in school yet. If you find a company whose insurance will allow someone to ride with you under the age of then you can bring your child or you can be a owner operator and can bring anything and anyone you want on the truck. Since I am with accompany who only allows riders over 13yo I have to leave my son with my family (mom, brother, and grandparents all live together)while I am gone. I will be doing this until I finish my degree and have a nice nest egg to rest on. Anyone who has negative comments are more then welcome to come pay my bills but until then (shhhhhhh)!
While it may not be the best thing, a person does what is needed to survive in this hard economy. I own 3 trucks and trying to buy another one as we speak and I don't drive any of them because my kids. However once they are grown and gone you better believe I will be in one! Well by then it won't be trucks I have now, if so they will be a kajillion miles lol.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi View Post
I have been toying with this idea, but do not know if it is feasible. Can anyone give me input, please. I want to become a driver, is it possible to take my son with? He is 4 years old, very mellow, and I already homeschool. I think it would be awesome while he is young, to travel and experience different people, etc.. and it would be a good way for me to save money and get a little nest egg going...toward down payment for a house. If we did it, I feel we would be safe, we have a dog that would also be with us. Please reply with input, I know that some will say this is a stupid idea, that my son is too young, but I am not looking for traditional career, and I do not wish to put my son in institutional learning, away from me...so with that in mind there's not many other 'jobs' that offer what trucking could. Thanks.
I see this is from 2005. Just curious, what are you doing now?
Old 07-29-2015, 04:28 AM
Rookie
Default You Can Do All Things Through He Who Strengthens You

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi View Post

For any other females out there toying with the idea, here's my input. I'd also been interested in trucking since I was 19. Back then I didn't have kids but I also wasn't old enough to get a job in trucking. I'm 26 now with 2 kids, toddler ages, and I'm doing it! God has blessed me with a nightime local job right out of trucking school. And if He can do it for me, he can do it for anyone else who desires it. Dream big, pray and believe!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you have children and want to drive, it would be much better to find something local so that you can be home with your children. They need you more when they are young than later. With a local job it would enable you to be there for them when needed. I am glad you found something that would work for you jjd704.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Your Right ~ if you want it bad enough and don't mind putting in long hours, local or otr ... it's all possible. Never let anyone tell you anything else. It's Your dream and your bills to pay

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'