Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   We Make a Great Team (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/we-make-great-team-12/)
-   -   Considering Team Driving...Pros & Cons (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/we-make-great-team/23895-considering-team-driving-pros-cons.html)

mapleleaf_1 01-15-2007 12:50 AM

Considering Team Driving...Pros & Cons

o.k. people here's the thing. I'm considering trying team driving. I've never done it before. I've been OTR on my own for 6 years. I'd appreciate input from all you drivers. Pros & cons about teaming. No BS please. Thanks. Drive safe everyone.

nightprwlr 01-16-2007 12:01 AM

Teaming

It depends who you team with,how long you can be around them. Respect each others sleep time and try and drive "softly". Driving techniques matter tome anyhow if it's your truck and you have to pay to fix it.
I think I could never team with anyone other than a significant other. Sharing showers and sleeping together that means a lot seriously. Unless you're look ing for someone to team up with to make money then it might be different. I always ran team w/wife(now ex) or my g/f,which I taught them both how to drive and that alone was a nightmare j/k. We pulled flats so it made adifference as far as both loading etc. made it a "team" effort. Plus getting home wasn't a priority when you're together you can stop and "vacation" anywhere. Making money was the most important thing.
The worse part of it all is getting adjusted to sleeping going while the truck is moving. Trying to find husband/wife showers at some places was a bear sometimes.
I hope some of this might help.
Good Luck!

mapleleaf_1 01-16-2007 12:31 AM

Yes I realize nightprwlr that I can't just take any person to team with. There needs to be a connection with the other person. I don't mean a romantic connection either. LOL My hubby wouldn't like it. I wouldn't be showering with them either. Got my own showermate thanks. :) I just wanted some input from those who have or are now teaming. See what they have to say about it. I really do appreciate your reply and welcome any others from you or others. Drive safe everyone. :)

whynot 01-16-2007 05:48 AM

Teaming

Mapleleaf, I sent you a private message. Please get back to me ASAP if you are interested and have any questions. My e:mail is [email protected]

mapleleaf_1 01-16-2007 01:28 PM

Sorry Whynot I hadn't had the chance to read it. Been busy with driving and unloading this morning. Will get to it shortly. Thanks for the message. Drive safe everyone. :)

Lewis friend 01-25-2007 03:49 AM

OK, i just came off a team (teamed unwillingly by company).

First off, DON'T DO IT.

Pros:
Possibility of more consistent frieght and mileage because they (dispatchers/shippers etc) like the efficiency and expediency of teams. This translates to the possibility of a higher paycheck. My personal experiences did not nessesarily reflect this. Actually, they didn't reflect this. But i have seen teams that get 9000+ miles per week. I don't know what their logbooks look like, but they can get 9000+ miles per week!!!

I can't think of any other pros at this time; This should tell you something.

Cons:
Sleep in a moving truck=not good quality sleep regardless of what anyone says.

Sleep in a moving truck=high noise levels which=low quality sleep regardless of what anyone says.

Sleep in a moving truck=too much vibration which=low quality sleep regardless of what anyone says or thinks.

Now because your sleep is screwed up, you are probably going to be very tired.
And if the other idiot you're teaming with wants to listen to the radio while you're sleeping...........

YOu can't nessesarily stop when/where you want to.

I would recommend that you don't do it unless the numbers add up, which, in a lot of cases, they don't

mapleleaf_1 01-25-2007 04:54 AM

Thanks for replying Lewis. I appreciate your input. Drive safe everyone. :)

Lewis friend 01-27-2007 03:47 AM

Oh yeah, one other thing:

If you're teamate is sick and/or has a cold, you too will soon be sick.

Sounds scary/eerie but it's true.

Random_Facts 03-04-2007 06:13 AM

wait woah there...you said 9,000 a week for a team. I don't think that can be right. that can't add up lol. you would have to pull off 1,285 miles a day.

that would be like driving to Ohio to Florida 1,000 miles. I did it in my car in 17 hours lol. but in a semi not sure if thats possible..sense you're going slower than everyone else. guess it would depend on you're speed. but still that seems a little high.

and then if they kept the 9,000 miles a week for every week thats doing 468,000 miles a year. 9,000 times 52. wow is that even possible? Lol sorry just had to repost saying that.

had to get that off my chest would have been up all night otherwise lol.

bigdaddyCCMJ 03-09-2007 03:32 PM

miles

9000 miles a week is do able if you really run your balls off. 9000 miles a week would mean you have to keep an average speed of 65 mph for a constant 140 hours. Thats each driver running there 11 hour shift and driving at 65 for 10 hours. thats give you an hour for fuel, inspection, food. There will not be any showers taken but with 9000 miles you are making enough money to buy something to cover it up. I am teaming right now and my partner and I have been running 7000 to 8250 miles a week steady. Which is making me before taxes 2030.00 up to 2392.50 which is very good I feel. We have one of the best team trucks in the fleet as well as a very good deleivery record.