Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Schools (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools-31/)
-   -   Get Paid while in school....... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools/33280-get-paid-while-school.html)

MacDad 04-03-2008 01:19 AM

Get Paid while in school.......

Don't think I'm crazy:shock: ....does anyone know if anybody (companies/schools) actually pays you while you are in cdl school thru training until you are making miles/money?

I have a house payment and bills that would need to be paid and if I'm in school, not working, makin no cash it aint gonna happen.

Anybody know if anyone offers such a thing?

(okay, i may be a little crazy, lol)
:wink:

4roses 04-03-2008 02:22 AM

your not crazy ... :wink: ... but I've never heard of any school paying you to go to school. Have you checked to see if there's a school close that that has weekend classes ? .... some schools do but it will take quite a bit of time to graduate, but at least you'll be able to continue to work and provide for your family. ..... check with your employment agency and see if they have a program or know where you could apply for a grant or loan to attend school. .... sorry I couldn't help you anymore than this .... maybe someone out there will know of other ways to help you.

MacDad 04-03-2008 03:25 AM

yea......i figured that was a nutty question.

guess i would just have to get a bigger loan, for school and my bills for 2 months time. probably over $5k. :shock:

..........man :cry:

dle 04-03-2008 05:00 AM

I worked and went to school at the same time. I worked at a Jack In The Box and I just had to make it clear that I was in class from this time to this time. There were only 2 hickups, but they were quiickly taken care of by swapping with somebody.

You will be dogged tired, family life will be nothing. You will be gone from home for a lot of time. Hmm sounds like trucking.

MacDad 04-03-2008 05:34 AM

I hear ya.
I did that a few years back when I was in school for Networking and also working full time night shift.
I would have an evening class from 6pm till 10pm, then go to work at 10pm till 8am, then back to school for my morning class at 8am till Noon, go home and sleep till time for school again at 6! That truly stunk! :x

I could do an evening job till 10 or 11pm easy, that may be what I do. Hey! good idea, thanks! :P and I still have some of the ole' tax return, and if Dubya gives us poor folks money back i will have that too........

lookin better all the time! 8)

SteveInDixon 04-04-2008 05:15 PM

I am not a truck driver (yet!) but from what I understand, there is quite a bit of homework each night. I think it would be hard to attend school during the day, then work at night and also try to get your homework done. I have decided to take a weekend course. It's 8 weeks long but I'll still be earning a paycheck with my job and I will also have plenty of time to learn the truck driving business. Whatever you do, good luck, and have fun! Steve

dle 04-04-2008 06:15 PM

Most of the homework is done in the first part of the class - when you go through the classrom portion (getting the state testing out of the way). After that when you start driving - there isn't any. At least this is they way it was with my school.

How long it takes to do the homework, which is mostly reading - then taking quizes on them - depends on how well you read and comprehend things.

all18wheels 06-16-2008 04:59 AM

i went to a trucking school for free while collecting 450/week unemployment :D

rigidsporty 07-04-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all18wheels
i went to a trucking school for free while collecting 450/week unemployment :D

450 a week! :shock: Is that a California thing? The MAXIMUM unemployment benefit here in Tennessee is $270/wk., no matter how much you made.