User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New husband/wife team seeking info

I am the female half of a wanna-be husband/wife team. We worked together for many years and wanting another job that lets us be together. We are planning to start school with IITR in Oregon. Looks like husband/wife teams are hot commodity, but you can't believe everything schools tell you, or you read on the Internet. Would like to find out how teams really work, and what to avoid. Can you suggest any message boards with teams? Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm the male half of a husband/wife team. We have been driving and surviving now for 3 years inside of a postage stamp.

As far as I know there are now specific message boards for H/W teams.

Are they a hot commodity - yes they are especially in the expediting world.

As my lead line suggests you will need to be able to stand each other in very close quarters for extended period of times. You need to be able to resolve issues without having to "go for a walk". You will learn things about your significant other that will scare you. You will need to be able sleep while the other one is driving. Can you stand each other's body orders if you can't get showers every day? Togetherness in a H/W team is not always a guarantee you sometimes have to make special efforts for it to happen.

First things first, You BOTH have to get your CDL - you might think that this is a given but it's not always that way.

Secondly, you have to be accepted by the same company.

Thirdly, you have to BOTH complete the training phase.

Fourth, you have to survive in that postage stamp.

Hopes this helps, if not let me know.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Rookie

thanks for the info. We have been together 30 yrs, so there are not many surprises between us; yet we know that driving will be different from anything else we had done before. Planning to contact companies before starting school mid-Dec. We are hoping to find one that allows us to train together. Can you suggest any companies that allow this?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Senior Board Member

We were married for 25 years before we started driving. We still learned things about each other.

I am not sure what companies are still offering the training of spouses together. At one time CRST and Covenant were the ones that I knew about. You might want to check the other forums to see what the latest info on that is. And are you sure you want to do that? We at one point wanted to do this, but we changed our minds. Keep in mind this mental image -- 3 adults inside of a postage stamp getting dressed/undressed, eating, dealing with family problems, dealing with the real learning of how to drive a truck.

You might want to pull a MVR and a DAC for each of you to see if there are any surprises. Since you have not driven a CMV before the DAC should be absolutely clean. You also need to make sure you have your documentation - Social Security Cards, Birth Certificates.

You also need to start thinking and talking about what you will do if there is a failure of plans. You need to know what you or he will do if
1) one of you can't get their cdl
2) you both don't get accepted by the company
3) one of you gets sent home from orientation
4) one of you doesn't get thru with training.

Keep in mind orientation or pre-hire doesn't mean your hired. The pre-hire is only an invitation to the orientation. The orientation is a week long job interview - and people will be watching you constantly.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Rookie

that is true, husband-wife pairing can be mind blowing whenever they meet for business then no one can stop them from getting power and money.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 PM

I have never heard a good thing about CRE. When I see the trucks going down the road I feel bad for the drivers.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Rookie

My wife and I ran team for 15years. The best thing I can tell you is, both of you go into your bathroom for 24 hrs and see if you can stand each other. it is not easy to run team with anyone, much less your spouse. Running a team truck is work! On a good running team truck you will see each other when you change drivers and maybe if you plan it right you might get to eat together. First you need to find out if you can both can get a CDL and pass the physical. Then it's trying to find a company that will train you. I would suggest that you train over the road separate.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Rookie
Default Husband/Wife Team

I have 7 years experience. My wife is completing CDL school. We wish to train together and work together. Else, we are seeking owner-operators who would employ an honest, concientous couple to drive their equipment for them either conventional or expedite. Please email or call [email protected] or 229-300-4882.
wanna-be husband/wife team. We worked together for many years and wanting another job that lets us be together. We are planning to start school with IITR in Oregon. Looks like husband/wife teams are hot commodity, but you can't believe everything schools tell you, or you read on the Internet. Would like to find out how teams really work, and what to avoid. Can you suggest any message boards with teams? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Tags
husband wife teams, iitr school