User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Community College vs Sage Schools in Utah

I'm new to the board as I've recently considered getting my CDL and pursuing a truck driving career. I'm from Salt Lake City, UT and briefly worked for a few months last year in the oil fields of eastern Utah, where I drove a bobtail water truck as part of the job. I enjoyed the experience and wish to return, but the company I worked for is only hiring drivers with two years experience as a truck driver. I realize that being a full-time OTR driver is much different, but I'm considering the opportunity in order to gain experience and lear more about the industry.

I've read through multiple posts on this board and related boards and had a question: I know to stay away from CR England, but I've also read that Sage Schools has a good reputation. Should I consider Sage over my local community college (Salt Lake Community College) that offers CDL classes?

Also, can anyone offer any general advice on what to expect or consider when jumping into this field, given my limited experience in driving water trucks?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Rookie

I went to Sage here in North Carolina and from talking to people that went to other schools and also some that taught at other schools, I believe that Sage has better training than other schools.When you actually get on the road training,it will be one on one.Other schools may have 3 or 4 trainees in the truck at the same time. Plus the cost was a $2000 less than other schools.Not knowing anything about your community college,you will need to do some investigating and ask alot of questions.
1-How much actual driving will you do on the road.Is it one on one training.
2-Make sure they train with doubles.(That's one thing Sage didn't do,but I still was able to get a job pulling doubles.
3-What is the cost,for what you're getting.
4- Will they help you find a driving job.

Just a few questions to ask.There's many more.
Keep us posted.

Good Luck!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your reply. The tuition to the community college is $2000. I'm going to meet with Sage this week about their costs and what they have to offer. I'm not able to come up with the tutition needed for the college and there's no financial aid available since I make too much, so I'm hoping Sage can offer something that works for me.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Rookie

Just wanted to give everyone an update that I completed training at Sage earlier this month and obtained my Class A CDL. I highly recommend Sage, it was a great experience and the training was top notch. I'm now looking for trucking jobs and may have found one with Swift, again thanks to Sage's connections with them.